Search for content in message boards

Hi from Dundee Scotland

Hi from Dundee Scotland

Steve Baxter (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jun 2000 3:54PM GMT
My roots start as far as I can find out in Meigle Coupar Angus with my grandfather Arthur Baxter. Died 1944 in Italy. Arthur was born to Charles and Lizzie Jane (Nee Stirling D.O.B 26.04.? ) Baxter and brought up in Dundee Scotland part of a family of 5 brothers and 3 sisters.
Father, Charles was born in Letham and grew up in Miegle his wife Lizzie Jane was born in Forfar.
They were to both marry and move in to the Hilltown in Dundee, where they had their family consisting of:-

Name D.O.B Occupation Married
Jimmy 13.02(1906?) Unknown Cathy Johnston (D)*
Hector Nov (1910) Valentines worker Kathleen Turner (E)*
Arthur Dec1911 Football Player Bella Webster
Bob 1914-15 Unknown Unmarried
Edith April 1916 Valentine Worker Samuel Kellock
Charlie 1918 Unknown Edith (D)*
Bella April 1923 CO-OP/Timex Ron Massie
Mazzie May 1928 Unknown John McKenzie
Does any one know if they are of this origin.
Any good advice on this subject would be appreciated as I've only just started.

Brother Steve

Geary Baxter (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jun 2000 8:17PM GMT
Hi Steve,

I am from Columbus, Indiana, USA. I was reading about the Baxter family tree and was suprised to find someone from Scotland with the same name as my brother. It would be just like Steve to post a message such as yours just as a joke and to get me to reply... I have a good friend living here from Glasgow. Elizabeth Bruce. She was a champion figure skater years ago. Aye Hope your weather gets better!

Sorry, not your brov in disguise

Steve Baxter (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jun 2000 3:59PM GMT
The weather in Dundee is getting better by the day summers nearly here, unfortunately Glasgows as dreach and dreary as usual, the west coast just seems to like the rain.
Hope your brother gets in touch soon, all the best from sunny Scotland
Steve

Baxter's

Debbie Baxter Franey (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jun 2000 8:02PM GMT
Steve, Have you tried www.origins.net
or a good resource is www.familyeducation.com,
I wish I recognized some of your family names but dont. My family is from Slamanan, do you have any knowledge of this town?
I have had a very hard time finding my family because when my grandfather and his brothers came to the US they never told anyone anything about the country or family they left behind. Good luck in your search.
Debbie

Reference Slamanan

Posted: 27 Jun 2000 5:38PM GMT
thanks for your info sites they seem to be worth more investigation.
As for Slamanan, I haven't ever been there but I know its close to Edinburgh
You can look it up at Latitude 55Degrees 56.381' Longditude 3 Degrees50.162' or it is located on ordinance survey maps at grid ref. NS85417 73365.
If you would like any more information, I can try and find out some more.
Steve

Slamanan

Posted: 27 Jun 2000 6:36PM GMT
Steve, You are quite welcome for the information. I hope it is informative for you. As for Slamanan I have found a web site for the County of Sterlingshire which is a forum quite like this.
http://cgi.rootsweb.com/~genbbs.cgi/Scotland/Sterlingshire Perhaps this would be some help to you. I have also located it on the map it would just be wonderful if someone from Scotland and was realted to me in some way would read the posting and reply. Good luck in your searching.
Debbie Baxter Franey

Baxter family

Debbie Baxter Bodine (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jul 2000 7:38PM GMT
I have no news on your family line. Just found it funny to see someone with my name. My line of Baxters came from NJ. Good Luck with your search.

Baxters

Debbie Baxter - Franey (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jul 2000 2:52PM GMT
Debbie, I know what you mean it is a weird feeling isnt it? I ran into a Debbie Baxter at a local department store and it was so strange to see my name on her name tag. She is a Baxter by marriage.
Debbie
Posted: 20 Jul 2000 6:04AM GMT
Edited: 12 May 2002 10:59PM GMT
My Baxters came to Westchester, NY, 1600's, but I am looking for a LOCKWOOD BAXTER who is listed as a Loyalist and cannot find who his parents are. Where are yours from in NJ? Thanks. Jean

NY family

D Bodine (View posts)
Posted: 20 Jul 2000 10:40AM GMT
Jean
I made a mistake when I said NJ. I am working on two family lines and one is from NJ but the Baxter side is from PA. Sorry about that. I don't remember seeing Lockwood in my research. Good Luck. Debbie
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions