Search for content in message boards

William A. McDaniel 1809-1875

William A. McDaniel 1809-1875

Posted: 17 Dec 2012 11:30PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Surnames: McDaniel
I am not related, so far as I know. Posting in the hopes that someone finds it useful.

From the Grant County Herald, 4 Mar 1875, page 3, column 6:

Died, in Beetown, February 19, 1875, Mr. William A. McDaniel, aged 66 years.

Of the above is can be truly said, he was a pioneer. Born in Maysville, Ky., October 9, 1809. Kentucky was at that time as much or more of a wilderness than are the cast territories of the far west at this. In early life he followed the occupation of pilot upon the Ohio and Lower Mississippi rivers, and up to the year 1833 -- about this time the lead mines of the Upper Mississippi were the Eldoradoes where fortunes were made and lost in a day -- and attracted the attention of that class of stout hearted hardy men to whom we owe the opening of all our new territories. Among that class, he came, and located in Galena -- the zenith at that time of the northwest territories; from thence to Dubuque in 1834, and located upon two acres of ground, and built the first house in what is now the principle part of that city. Still pursuing the fleeting Goddess Fortune, he came to Lafayette, now known as Potosi, in 1837, where for a number of years he followed mining, and held by appointment of the territorial Governor the office of Justice of the Peace, and as such sit many times in judgment upon the short-comings of our then motley population, and decided many titles and ownerships in lead mines according to laws made by custom. From thence he moved to Beetown, where he still followed mining, and he held the office of Justice of the Peace for over 20 years, and as he held that office almost uninterrupted for over 30 years, was probably at the time of his death the oldrst justice in the State. Mr. McDaniel was a kind parent, a good neighbor, warm-hearted and full of that genuine hospitality characteristic of the locality of his birth. Having become a believer in the Christian religion a number of years since, he lived and died in the Faith of an everliving God, a Hope in a Blessed immortality, and deserves a Charity beyond the grave. He was followed to the grave by a large concourse of friends, and buried with Masonic rights, having been a member of the Masonic fraternity for over thirty years.
Attachments:

Re: William A. McDaniel 1809-1875

Posted: 17 Dec 2012 11:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Phillip

This is absolutey amazing. This is my GG Grandfather and I have been at a standstill for years. I knew he was born in Kentucky but unable to find anything about him.. I did know he was a miner........YAHHHHHOOOOOOOO!!

Thank you thank you thank you!

Patrice Mitchell
per page

Find a board about a specific topic