Search for content in message boards

Linehan Family of Ballinaguilla

Linehan Family of Ballinaguilla

Chris Mills (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Adams, Buckley, Burns, Cartwright, Corker, Coyne, Glynn, Jacob, Kidd, Kyne, Linehan, Manly, Mills, Reed
I am researching the Linehan family of Ballinaguilla, near Tullylease Co Cork. My great grandfather was William Linehan born circa 1847, son of Daniel Linehan and Ellen O'Sullivan. William was one of 11 children all of whom could not be supported on the land. William married Rebecca Reed of Cork City and settled there.

linehan ballinaguila tullylease

SHEILA LINEHAN SHEEHY (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: linehan
SHEILA LINEHAN BALLINAGUILA TULLYLEASE CO. CORK I CAME ACCROSS YOUR WEBSITE AND I AM RELATED TO DANIEL LINEHAN AND ELLEN O'SULLIVAN AND WILLIAM LINEHAN LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU.

Linehan's

Posted: 14 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 11 Jul 2001 9:35AM GMT
Surnames: O'Callaghan, Linehan
I have a Denis Linehan that married Nora Callaghan/O'Callaghan. They had a son Michael Linehan around 1877 in Ireland. Believe county Cork. Michael came to the Us when he was around 14 years old. Believe his parents came with him. Nora had a brother William Callaghan that came to the States, and brother Michael who stayed in Ireland.

Re: Linehan Family of Ballinaguilla

Posted: 28 Oct 2009 12:27AM GMT
Surnames: Linehan
Chris

I know the last message was a long time ago but heres hoping. My great grandfather was Daniel Linehan from Ballinaguilla. He was the son of Daniel Linehan and was born in 1842/1843. It is quite likely that he was a brother of William. I am interested in any further information or in passing on any information that I have that might be of interest to you.

Brian Mc Keown

Posted: 30 Dec 2009 8:09PM GMT
Dear Brian. I have just received from a cousin in Ireland some information about my mother's side of the family. On it it shows a Daniel T (or J) Linehan b 1841 d 1925 who was married to Nancy Forrest. They had a son Jim who married Frances Barry and they had a son Simon. Daniel is one of 11 children of Daniel Linehan and Ellen O'Sullivan. He would be a great grand uncle of mine - my great grandfather was one of his brother Michael Linehan who married Ellen Duggan. Their father was Timothy Linehan. The other brothers and sisters were Thade, John, James, Kitty, Paddy, Jeremiah (1836-1929), William, Julia (1849-1938) and Con (1856-1941. I still have to verify some of the facts but trust this may help you for now. Kind regards Tim Cronin

Posted: 5 Jan 2010 12:53AM GMT
Surnames: Linehan
Dear Tim.
Daniel Linehan & Ellen O'Sullivan were my great great grandparents and I make them the same relations to you? I just had the Daniel-Daniel link but none of the other names so thanks for that. So far I have been taking the silo view and not looking at the wider picture. So your info will give me a lot to look at. When you say "Their father was Timothy Linehan" should that be grandfather as I make Daniel their father? Timothy is not a name I had before. My info stopped at the first Daniel. I have a photo of the second Daniel that I could email as well as some links to info about Daniel -not sure which. They were elected officials in the Poor Law system for assistance to the poor which was being established around 1850.
Thanks again Brian Mc Keown

Posted: 5 Jan 2010 7:33PM GMT
Dear Brian. Sorry for the confusion. From the information I have, Timothy Linehan is our great great great Grandfather and came from Ballinaguilla He was apparently born in 1768 and died in 1814 and was married to Ellen Mullane. Their son was the first Daniel i.e the one who married Ellen O'Sullivan. That is all the information I have about him at the moment but will let you know if anything else comes to light. Incidentally, in the Irish Archives for 1911 there is a Daniel Linehan then aged 70 who may be our great great grandfather - not sure but the information can be found on the Internet by searching "Irish Archives 1911 Census" the"Browse census" then "Cork" then "Tullylease" then "Ballnguilla" then "House No 2". Interestingly Linehan's also lived in houses 6 and 10. If you could send on the photo as suggested I would appreciate it. With best wishes Tim Cronin

Posted: 6 Jan 2010 12:44AM GMT
Hello Tim

Okay I make Timothy our ggg grandfather as well so that's another piece of the puzzle - subject to checking of course! The Daniel Linehan in the 1911 census is the second one i.e. Timothy's grandson. That would make him my great grandfather and your great granduncle I think. His father was Daniel (the first) who was Michael's brother?
Anyway I attach a photograph of Daniel (the second) with his daughter (according to the back of the photo) probably taken around 1905? Just a guess based on her looks. She would have been 26 then. Perhaps it was taken around the time of her marriage in 1908?

That's it for now. All the best.

Brian
Attachments:

Posted: 5 Feb 2010 6:38AM GMT
Surnames: RE: Lineham/Forrest
Hello Tim & Brian

Im a Forrest in Queensland and Nancy Forrest was my great grandfather's sister. From Matthew Percival; Eugene Malachai; Matthew to James Matthias. I have enjoyed read your posts about the family and live in wonder at all they have created and those who are still interested in their lives. If either of you would like to contact me. I know my brother has photo's of the Forrest family....

Regards Trish

Posted: 10 Feb 2010 12:45AM GMT
Surnames: Forrest
Trish

Hello. Good to hear from another of the "clan". I am relatively new to this family research and was amazed by the information that has been collected and put together. So many people and so many stories hinted at in some of the information. I never knew my grandmother Catherine Forrest Linehan but I attach a photograph of her with her Dad - Daniel Linehan. Her mother was Nancy Forrest. I would be very interested in any photos of the Forrests that you might have.
I saw your other "post" about the other side of your family. The system that is available under "Queensland Historic Birth Records" is very good for providing basic info. Research here is more difficult and it is easier to pick (and have to pay for) the wrong record.

Will talk again.

Brian Mc Keown
Attachments:
per page

Find a board about a specific topic