Search for content in message boards

Gilliam Family in Virginia (Henrico Co.?) 1700's

Gilliam Family in Virginia (Henrico Co.?) 1700's

Martha Pentecost (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jan 2001 12:20PM GMT
I am searching for information on the Gilliam family in Virginia in the 1700's.
In particular Sarah Gilliam who was supposed to have married an Edward Reavis.......looking for children and other connections to this family.

William Gilliam Doyle b. 1803 (in North Carolina......was in Lawrence Co. Ala. Census 1820 and 1830....then Choctaw and Carroll County Ms. until 1850's.
His parents are probably either:
James A. Doyle of N. C. b. ca. 1787 and Mary____(dec'd) of Ala.

or

Joseph O. Doyle b. ca. 1788 of N. C. and Mary______ of N. C.

These two elders of the Doyles moved with their families to Carroll Co. Mississippi between 1830 and 1840.

Land Records for William G. (Gilliam) Doyle b. ca 1803 begin to show up in the mid-1830's in Mississippi. His wife was Jane Estill. From births of other family members in cemetery records,.....we know they spent some time in Kentucky probably around 1810- 1820. The 1850 Miss Census records show that the household of Jesse (b. ca 1816 Ky.) The youngest member of his household George G. (Gilliam) age 2, was born in Ky. (ca. 1848).

What we desire to know is how the Gilliam family connects with this Doyle family......and what connections there are with the Reavis'.

Some of the given names for Doyle males found in the family are: Joseph, Jesse, James, Lewis, William, Gilliam, David and George.
For the females: Martha, Mary, Harriet

Any help appreciated....this is a new line to be researched. Other lines being researched: Doyle, Reavis, Estill, Pentecost.

Gilliam/Reavis Henrico Co,VA

Jack R. Templeton (View posts)
Posted: 29 Mar 2001 8:56AM GMT
Hi.Here's a little info which may or may not help. First as to Edward Reavis in Henrico Co,VA. I have a Frances Reavis(b early 1700's) married Thomas Alley(1690-1773).She was supposedly the sister of a Edward Reavis who married a Hannah Alley. Three of Thos' kids migrated to SW VA where some Gilliams also settled.
As to the Gilliams, I have a William G.Gilliam(b1787) s/o Richard Gilliam (~1770-~1840) & Judith(Juda) Stidham.Richard was born in Buckingham Co,VA & married in Bedford Co. Incidentally Wm.G. had a brother Jessie.
Richard's father was William Gilliam (1740/7-1791/3) who was married in Henrico Co. His wife was Elizabeth Ellis(b1754,Henrico Co). William had an older sister Sarah(b1740).
My daughter found this info on LDS' Family Search web site.Do a search on Wm.& Mary Ellis.
Good luck on your searches.

Gilliam/Reavis

Posted: 29 Mar 2001 9:44AM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 1:13AM GMT
Go to www.ancestry.com and do a search for Edward Reavis. Edward Reavis married Hannah Alley first then Sarah Gilliam, d/o Jessie Gilliam. Unfortunately, it doesn't give much info on the Reavis side. Edward Reavis was the brother of Francis Reavis. By the way, Jack Templeton is my father. His mother is an Alley (by birth). Good luck with your hunting!

Re: Gilliam/Reavis Henrico Co,VA

Posted: 31 Aug 2006 1:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ison, Stephens, Barker, Holbrook
Hi Jack

Are you referring to the parents of Mary "Polly" Elizabeth Gilliam? I have seen her mother listed as Ellis and also as Jones. Mary Elizabeth married Archibald Ison approximately 1801. Because of this discrepancy, I am hesitate about including any maiden name for Elizabeth Ellis.

By chance do you have a will or any other documentation showing that her last name was Ellis? Just when I think I have solid proof, I find something else that denies it.

I would appreciate any help you offer or any place you can think of for me to look.

I have also seen the reference you wrote about on the LDS site, but they also have references made to the Jones'es name.

Thanks for your help.

Ann
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions