Search for content in message boards

Indian Goforth's

Indian Goforth's

Posted: 29 May 2004 1:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Jul 2005 6:01PM GMT
The Goforth name is found among the Chickasaw, as well as the Choctaw Nations.

Billly Goforth was of the Choctaw Nation, shown to have voted in 1872 and again in 1833 ( at Pigeon Roost, Blue County, Indian Territory). Billy had one daughter named Mary who married James Sebastian Wheeler, a Cherokee Indian, in 1869. One year later, Mary died.

Eli P. Goforth was of the Chickasaw Nation, who lived at Wapanucka in 1902. His mother was Louisa Goforth. He married Sophia and they had one daughter named Ruth Goforth who was born in 1902.

John Goforth a Chickasaw Indian, long with his wife, Mowah, sold property in Marshall County, Mississippi on April 5, 1836. Also, there is a John S. Goforth ( presumed to be the same man) who served in the 2nd A;abama Volunteers in the Creek War. He was listed on the census of Marshall County, Mississippi in 1830.

Joseph H. Goforth was a Choctaw who was dead by 1904. Among his heirs were Jesse and Irene Goforth of Durant ( Ok.). He was a brother to William H. Goforth.

Solomon Goforth was Chickasaw-Choctaw Indian, enrolled on the 1857-1860 annuity rolls of the Chhichasaw Nation. He was the father of Levi P. Goforth who died in 1899, and John H. Goforth.

William Gofofth, a Chickasaw Indian, lived in Kiamitia County ( I.T.) in 1855. In his household was Louisa, his wife, and a son, Eli P. Goforth.

William H. Goforth, a Chickasaw Indian was born in 1860, in 1883 he wasliving in Kiamitia County ( I.T.) He married four times, two wives are not named, the others were Sophia Nelson, and Alba Wilfong. Alba was his last wife, who he married in 1889.

Re: Indian Goforth's

Elaine (View posts)
Posted: 30 May 2004 4:28AM GMT
My grandfathers' parents are William H/Alba Wilfong Goforth. Can you verfiy that Mowah--we have her as Mahate or Martha or Mah-Wah-Ta-husband was John (S)Goforth? We understood that her husband was white. As Solomon and William were 1/2 Chickasaw. As that is how they are registered. I have quite a bit on this line including all 4 of William H. wifes'. Please let me know about your information and if you would like what I have.

Posted: 31 May 2004 1:55PM GMT
From the book " WHO WAS WHO AMONG THE SOUTHERN INDIANS 1698 - 1907, written by Don Martini, it clearly states that John Goforth, a Chickasaw Indian, and his wife Mowah sold property in Marshall County, Mississippi on April 5, 1836. Description of the land is given as :
S 22 T 3 R 3W

There should be a record of this sale in Marshall County, Mississippi. I would also check records in Monroe County, Mississippi since John Goforth was listed on the 1830 census in that county.

The info shown for William H. Goforth lists him as a Chickasaw Indian who was born in 1860. Other than listing two of his four wives by name, one of which was Alba Wilfong whom he married in 1899. In 1902 he was living in Caddo, I.T.There is no mention of children. However, you may check into the Applications for Ennrollment, Chickasaw Nation, Case # 1623.

I will check some other material I have to see if I can turn something up for you.

Elaine (View posts)
Posted: 1 Jun 2004 10:33PM GMT
I have the family tree from Mahate--Mowah--to present day. We just have never been able to trace or identify who her husband was. William and Solomon are listed as 1/2 indian. I have Solomons' registration # and all the family's #.
I did not kn ow that there is a WHO WAS WHO AMOUNG SOUTHERN INDIANS. We do know that Mahate--this is how she is listed on Solomons birth papers--and sons were on trail of tears. I have a map of the land that was in her name which is described as Secs. 15 & 22 T 3S R3w. It looks like Dawson creek/river runs through it. Listed uner Mah Wah Ta To Forth in the Pontotoc land office is a deed signed Oct. 6,1840 that she had 2 section of 1280 acres. William H. and Alba Wilfong had Ora Emily Goforth(died),Clifton Leeper (b.1904-1970),Simeon and Vivian( she is still alive last I heard). Clifton is my grandfather.,there was also Lena May.
Wives of William H. are
Emma Greenwood,Alba Wilfong,Louisa,Susie / Sylvia Thorton
I would like to exhange information with you, so if there is any thing you would like I will send it. I have the # of most of the early Goforth family
Elaine

Elaine (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jun 2004 3:00AM GMT
Could you please tell me how I can find a copy of the book WHO WAS WHO AMONG SOUTHERN INDIANS 1698-1907
I have tried to find it on the internet, but have not had any luck. Thank you.
Elaine
Do you have any objections if I were to email you ?

Posted: 4 Jun 2004 8:55PM GMT
I have no objections to you contacting me direct. Also, I can tell you that MOWTAH is the Cherokee for MARTHA. I have a daughter in law named Martha. In Cherokee it is pronounced Mow Tah.
Bonnie

Dee (View posts)
Posted: 20 Sep 2004 6:09PM GMT
Surnames: GOFORTH
Hi, It looks like we are related as my Grandfather was Clarence Goforth(brother to William H) and his Father John. Is it possible for you to contact me or send me the info that you have regarding our Goforth connection? John Goforth was full blooded Indian and I do not know much about his wife. my Email address is: d_ohlhauser@msn.com. I have been trying to get information for years and have had some luck but not much.
Thank you
Dee

Indnian Goforth's

Posted: 20 Sep 2004 11:53PM GMT
I think Don Martini only ran a certain number of the books. But if you would like, you can send me your address and I will be more than happy to copy off the pages with the Goforth information and snail mail it to you. The print is very small, otherwise I would just send it in an attachment. I think it would do better if I used my copier. You can contact me at:
kwineenee@yahoo.com if you want me to snail mail the pages.

Elaine (View posts)
Posted: 26 Sep 2004 3:27PM GMT
I tried to email you but was not able to. Who do you have as Clarence mother. I do not have him as William H. brother. William H. father is Solomon Goforth--who's mother is Mahate, do not know father, but it has been said that a John Goforth is. I do know that Mahate husband? is white as Solomon is listed as 1/2 indian.
You can email me at Elaine Matlack Cotton_32539@yahoo.com
with what information you have. I will look and see if they are in the papers that I have.

Elaine (View posts)
Posted: 26 Sep 2004 4:11PM GMT
I did not look close enough, I do have a Clarence Edward Smith, his father is Louis Smith who married a Alba (Wilfong) Goforth, She was married to William H. Goforth.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions