Search for content in message boards

Ohio Cobbs - Ariel Cobb

Ohio Cobbs - Ariel Cobb

Posted: 27 Aug 2010 5:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cobb Myers
I am related to the Cobbs and trying to find out more about Ariel Cobb, who would be my 3rd Great Grandfather). According to my info: b: 9-16-1812 Canaan Litchfield CT, d: 3-5-1882 Streetsboro OH. M: Emeline Stone on 11-21-1836. I do not have info regarding who his parents are. I do note that the book "50 years and more of Akron and Summit County" notes that a Mr & Mrs Ariel Cobb came from CT 1800-1813. This might be his parents, but I find no evidence.

Ariel & Emeline had 3 children: Merrit, Roswell and Mary. Roswell married Julia Thompson and had 6 children: Helen Clarisa, Lynwood, Eugene, Lenora, Dora and Alice. Helen Clarissa married George Thomas Myers, my great grandfather.

Re: Ohio Cobbs - Ariel Cobb

Posted: 31 Aug 2010 6:39PM GMT
Ariel Cobb is probably from the Taunton Cobb line. It appears he is the son of Nathaniel and Lois (Drake) Cobb, born in CT. Nathaniel was born in Taunton and moved to CT. This should be a good place to start anyway.

Posted: 1 Sep 2010 4:02AM GMT
Surnames: Cobb
Thanks and I will look into that line. Is that your line?

Posted: 1 Sep 2010 8:12PM GMT
No. I am from the Barnstable Cobb line.

Posted: 2 Sep 2010 11:39PM GMT
Anyone know of any Cobbs from Michigan-Burton & Eathel( she was full Apache.?Gramp 7/13/1868,gram12/6/1870-born.Can anyone help me???Im their grandaughter.I have picture of gram.Id put it on here but Im told its not easy.Anyone help me out????Janet

Posted: 3 Sep 2010 11:42AM GMT
I do not have any MI Cobbs in my line yet.

Posted: 2 Oct 2010 4:43PM GMT
I have in a file an Ariel Cobb b.Oct 28,1808, Colebrook, Litchfield,Ct., the eleventh of twelve children born of Nathaniel Cobb and Lois Drake. Lois Drake was born Sep.28,1766, If Ariel's birth date was Sep.16,1812, Lois would have been 48yrs. old. Possibly she had a child that late in life, but I'd question it. Her 12th. child that I have was Charles Drake Cobb b.Mar.26,1809. I have this Ariel mar. Dec.25,1831, Mary A. Cowdery. I have Listed three children: Mariette Cobb b. abt.1837,NY; Albert b.abt.1842,NY; and Arthur b.June 1849, Ct. The file says Ariel possibly died in Portage, Ohio. I'll keep looking, but some dates and people don't seem to match. Cliff Cobb

Posted: 3 Oct 2010 4:37AM GMT
Hi Cliff and thanks for the reply. I've looked into the Nathan Cobb, Lois Drake connection and I'm not certain its the correct one. I've found "my" Ariel's obit. I confirms the birth date (9-16-1812 in Canaan CT) and death on 3-5-1882. I'm quite certain of his marriage to Emeline Stone, and she died 7 years prior. The obit says Ariel was next to youngest of 10 children and was survived by 2 brothers: Chauncy the youngest and Chester; both of Geauga County. I'm trying to investigate the brothers as well as an earlier Ariel Cobb who arrived in Hudson in 1813-1818 depending on the source. Could be the father?

Posted: 4 Oct 2010 12:44AM GMT
Surnames: Cobb, Stone, Case, Drake
Jim & all interested,

Re: Ariel Cobb with named brothers Chester Cobb and Chauncy Cobb.

Chester may be an unusual name for the time but I have a Chester Cobb, b. aft 1812, son of Foster Cobb [Sr.] (bef 1781 - 8/3/1840 in Cass Twp., Hancock Co., OH) and Lydia (LNU) (aft 1783 - 1835; second wife). Chester Cobb was one of 8 listed children but no brother named Chauncy Cobb.
However, birth of children from Foster Cobb [Sr.] and Lydia would be aft 1812 to abt 1827 (no exact dates known yet except for their son Foster Cobb [Jr.] (6/15/1817, Vermont - 1883, Cass Twp., Hancock Co., OH).

There is also a Chester Cobb in the Barnstable (MA) line; however, he was only one of two children, born in 1816 in NH, married and died in 1859 in NY.

The name Chauncy (aka Chauncey) Cobb can be found twice in the Taunton line in the 1812 - 1813 timeframe in Franklin Co., MA and the Barnstable (MA) line in later timeframes in Vermont. The above Foster Cobb married first in Charlemont, Franklin Co., MA but his wife died a few years after marriage with only one son known (Alonzo Cobb).

[Charlemont also has marriages of children of an unlinked Elisha Cobb. He may have been the link between Foster Cobb (of Walpole) and those residing in Charlemont. Found Foster Cobb was b. in VT, married twice, died in OH. Note the 1810 census has a Foster Cobb as head in Bennington, VT; in 1820 in Tinmouth, VT. Later censuses have a Foster Cobb b. abt 1817 in VT of parents b. in VT. Since he was b. in VT with same named in 1810, perhaps this was his father and he might be (or linked to) Foster Cobb (of Walpole, MA)].

We don't know, from the Drake Genealogy, Nathaniel Cobb's parentage and no record matches him yet or may be found but very likely he was from the Taunton line of the Cobb families.
His son Ariel Cobb, who stayed in CT as did most of his seven children, was definitely not the same Ariel (or Arial) Cobb of your OH line.

Ariel Cobb and his wife Emeline Stone are found in Draper Cemetery, Hudson, Summity Co., Ohio with two sons; first, Roswell S. Cobb (aka Roswell F. Cobb) with his wife, and secondly, Merrit N. Cobb (infant). There is also a Sarah (Cobb) Case, b. Jan 27, 1810 buried there. Was she related to Ariel Cobb?

Foster Cobb Sr. might be connected as a descendant of Foster Cobb (4/20/1759, Walpole, MA - ?), son of Stephen Cobb and grandson of a Morgan Cobb of the Taunton (MA) line) or one of Foster Cobb's three (3) brothers (of whom no marriage or descendant data is known for any of the four). However, I think if more were known of the 1759 Foster Cobb's descendants [or those of his brothers (Jonathan, 7/20/1755; Ephraim, 1/27/1757 and William, 6/6/1761; all born in Walpole, MA)], then there might be a connection going to Ohio.

We might know more to narrow a line if there is a DNA link to one of the Cobb lines, especially the Taunton line. Anyone with other info on Foster Cobb of VT, of Charlemont, MA and then Ohio?

Thanks,
Paul Cobb,
File Manager, Barnstable 's and Boston's Cobb lines,
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~cobb/

Posted: 4 Oct 2010 3:26PM GMT
Surnames: Cobb - Ariel Cobb OBIT
Here is the text Ariel Cobb's OBIT from the Chagrin Falls Exponent.
"Ariel Cobb, well known to the elder portion of the community, died March 5th at his old home in Streetsboro. His remains were interred in the Draper Cemetary. Rev T Y Gardner conducting the funeral ceremonies.

Deceased was born in Canaan, Litchfield Co. Connecticut September 16th, 1812. At the age of 16 came into Ohio and when 19 years old, took up land on the west side of Streetsboro, adjoining the township of Hudson, upon which he spent most of his life, and finally died.

On November 24th, 1836, he married his wife (note: EMeline Stone) who died seven years ago next June. To this couple were born three children: Merrit, Roswell and Mary Allen. The latter married MH Booth of Twinsburgh, which who she is now living in Alma, Ellis Co, Texas. Merrit died in infancy and Roswell now resides upon his father's homestead, which was transferred to him, a short time before the latter's death. Deceased was known as an honest, upright citizen, respected by all. In the latter years of his life he made an open profession of religious faith, becoming a member of the Congregational Church, which he helped start and establish in Texas, while sojourning in that State for a period of four years, just preceding his return home last fall. He was next youngest of a family of ten children, of whom two only now survive, Chauncy, the youngest and Chester, both of Geauga Co, Ohio.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions