Search for content in message boards

Hilliard and Gibson

Hilliard and Gibson

Posted: 3 Mar 2013 12:21AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Mar 2013 12:39AM GMT
Surnames: Hilliard and Gibson
I am searching my family tree through Annie Hilliard 1872 to 1953, and my paternal Gibson branch : William John Gibson 1839 to 1910, his wife Elizabeth Somerville 1841 to 1931, his parents were William Gibson and Margaret Wilson, living in the area of Enniskillen, Irvinestown, Trillick .
I am living in Canada, and hope to trace my ancestors and help others trace theirs. I am travelling to this area in April, and hope to discover more history and meet any relatives. Thanks kindly for any help. Don Gibson .
write2don@hotmail.com

Re: Hilliard and Gibson

Posted: 23 Mar 2013 1:16PM GMT
Hello Don,

Concerning your Gibson and Somerville line, I found the marriage index for William John Gibson and Elizabeth Somerville at the Irish Family History Foundation (IFHF) website for County Tyrone. The index shows the couple’s marriage was recorded in the Omagh (RD), that is, Registration or Registrar’s District, in 1865.

The index follows:

1 match for the search criteria: Gibson (plus variants) William John 1865 Parish: OMAGH (RD)

Record Type: Marriage Records for Co. Tyrone
Surname: Gibson
First Name: William John
Spouse's Surname: Somerville
Spouse's First Name: Elizabeth
Father's Surname:
Father's First Name:
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

Year: 1865

Parish/District: Parish: OMAGH (RD)
____

The above is a civil registration record of marriage as opposed to a church marriage. Civil registration began in Ireland in 1845 when the government recorded Protestant marriages only. Civil registration of births marriages and deaths for all religious denominations commenced in Ireland in 1864.

Civil registration marriages traditionally include the names of the father of the groom and bride, but not the names of the mothers. But the names of the fathers aren’t automatically provided for you in the IFHF marriage indexes. You either have to know who the fathers were, or find out who they were through additional research. The other two options are to guess the names of the fathers or to go ahead and order a transcription of the marriage to learn what their names were.

You had mentioned in your postings to the Ancestry.com message board for Fermanagh and Tyrone that William John Gibson’s father was also named William. I next wanted to see if the IFHF search engine accepted William as the first name of the groom’s father, which it did:

1 match for the search criteria: Gibson (plus variants) William John 1865 Parish: OMAGH (RD)

First Name: William John
Spouse's Surname: Somerville
Spouse's First Name: Elizabeth
Father's Surname: Gibson
Father's First Name: William
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

____

With Elizabeth Somerville as the primary partner in the marriage index, I then took a few guesses as to what the first name of her father was. The IFHF search engine accepted James:

1 match for the search criteria: Somerville (plus variants) Elizabeth 1865 Parish: OMAGH (RD)

Surname: Somerville
First Name: Elizabeth
Spouse's Surname: Gibson
Spouse's First Name: William John
Father's Surname: Somerville
Father's First Name: James
Mother's Surname:
Mother's First Name:

____

The IFHF homepage can be found at: http://www.rootsireland.ie/

Before accessing indexes at the IFHF you’ll first have to register. Registration is free. You’ll also be able to access the marriage index for John William Gibson and Elizabeth Somerville that I did for free, but you will be charged to obtain a transcription of their marriage record from the IFHF. You’ll have to purchase credits with a credit card to obtain the transcription. The IFHF website has more information about purchasing credits for baptism, as well as birth, marriage, and death or burial transcriptions at: http://www.rootsireland.ie/index.php?id=78

One big advantage of ordering records from the IFHF is that as soon as credit card information is processed, the record is sent to your computer, so that you don’t have to wait very long to view it.

The marriage transcription may provide additional information such as where John and Elizabeth were living before they married, John’s occupation at the time of the marriage, as well as the occupations of John and Elizabeth’s fathers. The marriage record may also include the name or names of witnesses to the marriage, as well as the name of the clergyman who married John and Elizabeth.

To view samples of civil birth and marriage transcriptions from the IFHF, go to the link at:
http://www.rootsireland.ie/index.php?id=samplerecords#cvmarr...

Next I wanted to see if I could find the IFHF civil birth, or church baptism transcriptions for any children of William John Gibson and Elizabeth Somerville. I actually uncovered 10 (RD) Registration District birth indexes for their children. So as not to use up any credits I had acquired from past research, I guessed at what the first names of these children were. I had a difficult time finding the names of two of the children, but after a while I figured out what the IFHF search engine was looking for. This is the term “Unknown,” meaning that at the time the births were recorded by the local registrar, the parents had not given these children first names.

In addition, two other indexes appear to be for twins.

The names and years of birth for the children are: Anne (1868); Unknown (1869); Unknown (1871); James and Ann (1872); Benjamin (1875); Margaret (1878); George (1881); Sarah (1883); and Ann (1887).

All of the births were recorded in the Trillick, County Tyrone, Registration District. However, the IFHF places these births in County Fermanagh, whereas Trillick, as noted above, is actually located in County Tyrone. What this suggests is that the Trillick registration district, though in County Tyrone, extended across the border into County Fermanagh for the purpose of recording civil birth, marriage, and death records. You will have to order the birth transcriptions of each child to see where the family had been living at the time of the birth for that child. Knowing where they were living will then enable you to visit that town, or towns, when you go to Ireland in April.

When accessing these indexes use the name Eliza rather than Elizabeth for the first name of the child’s mother. If you use Elizabeth the IFHF search engine will only produce the birth indexes for two of the children. This is one of the quirks with this system.

The birth indexes follow:

1 match for the search criteria: Gibson (plus variants) Anne 1868 Parish: TRILLICK (RD)

Record Type: Baptism/Birth Records for Co. Fermanagh
First Name: Anne
Mother's Surname: Somerville
Mother's First Name: Eliza

Year: 1868

Parish/District: TRILLICK (RD)
____

1 match for the search criteria: Gibson (plus variants) Unknown 1869 Parish: TRILLICK (RD)

First Name: Unknown

Year: 1869

____

1 match for the search criteria: Gibson (plus variants) Unknown 1871 Parish: TRILLICK (RD)

First Name: Unknown

Year: 1871

____

1 match for the search criteria: Gibson (plus variants) James 1872 Parish: TRILLICK (RD)

First Name: James

Year: 1872

AND

1 match for the search criteria: Gibson (plus variants) Ann 1872 Parish: TRILLICK (RD)

First Name: Ann

Year: 1872

____

1 match for the search criteria: Gibson (plus variants) Benjamin 1875 Parish: TRILLICK (RD)

First Name: Benjamin

Year: 1875

____

1 match for the search criteria: Gibson (plus variants) Margaret 1878 Parish: TRILLICK (RD)

First Name: Margaret

Year: 1878

____

1 match for the search criteria: Gibson (plus variants) George 1881 Parish: TRILLICK (RD)

First Name: George

Year: 1881

____

1 match for the search criteria: Gibson (plus variants) Sarah 1883 Parish: TRILLICK (RD)

First Name: Sarah

Year: 1883

____

1 match for the search criteria: Gibson (plus variants) Ann 1887 Parish: TRILLICK (RD)

First Name: Ann

Year: 1887

____

You can order the birth transcriptions for the Gibson children individually, or from one index if you choose. To order from one index, do not include the first names of any child. In place of the first names use the % sign as a wild card. Also do not include years of birth for the children.

The search engine form will look like this:

10 matches for the search criteria: Gibson (plus variants) % Parish: TRILLICK (RD)

First Name: %

Year:

____

Next I wanted to see if I could find William John Gibson’s baptism index at the IFHF. Your information shows that he was born in 1839 and that his parents were William Gibson and Margaret Wilson. I looked for, but didn’t find his baptism index for the years 1834-1844.

The marriage index for William John Gibson and Elizabeth Somerville had shown that Elizabeth’s father was James Somerville. I would need to know the name of Elizabeth’s mother, especially her mother’s maiden name, to look for her baptism index at the IFHF.

Best of Luck and have a great time in Ireland Don.

Dave Boylan

Re: Hilliard and Gibson

Posted: 24 Mar 2013 3:54PM GMT
Wow ! Fantastic research ! There are matches and new information in your findings. I will try to search where you advised me to for more discoveries. Thank you so much for your hard work and time Dave . I'm very grateful.
- Don -
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions