Search for content in message boards

Obit In Washington, DC

Obit In Washington, DC

Posted: 16 Mar 2011 9:39AM GMT
Classification: Obituary
I am trying to locate an obit for Fannie Brown. According to the ssdi, she died April 1966. I have not been able to locate the "day" and death certs are not availabe for 50 years after the date of death.

Re: Obit In Washington, DC

Posted: 16 Mar 2011 2:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Search the Washington Post's Archive. The link is:

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/washingtonpost/search.html?nav=l...

I did an advanced search (on the right side of the screen for the period 1877-1986) for Fannie Brown between the dates of 4/1 and 4/30/1966 and there were two results - one on the 23rd, the other on the 30th. Both are listed as obituaries. Next to each item you can preview or buy the article. There was nothing of the article to preview, except it indicated the section, page# and wordcount of the article.

You can check your local library and see if they have access to this online archive (through ProQuest), or, you can go ahead and buy the article(s) online, but you will need to create an account with them (so that articles you purchase will be charged against a credit card). If an article isn't what you are looking for, you can request a refund.

Hope this helps.

Posted: 16 Mar 2011 3:54PM GMT
thank you. I will locate the library in dc and write for the article(s).

Posted: 16 Mar 2011 4:22PM GMT
Maybo the main library where you live has access. I don't think there is a need to write a library in DC.

Posted: 17 Mar 2011 3:01PM GMT
ML is right. If your local library subscribes to ProQuest, and you have a library card, you can access the Post's obituaries right from home. However, if the obit is in the Evening Star, only MLK Library has the archives and you will have to contact them. Just search for MLK in the search box for this message board. I've posted the address a few times. Don't have the info close to hand. Good luck!

Posted: 17 Mar 2011 3:07PM GMT
I have the MLK address. I wrote to them before, but they needed the day she died. All I had at the time was April 1966.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic