Search for content in message boards

Gratiot County Cemetery Records

Gratiot County Cemetery Records

Posted: 8 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Jul 2001 3:49AM GMT
Surnames: Lytle, Leitle, Oakley, Eisenlord, Gunderman
I recently visited a number of cemeteries in Gratiot County in search of various ancestors. Many of the older markers were illegible and, of course there are very many markers in some cemeteries. Is there a master list of all cemeteries or separate lists of the occupants of individual cemeteries??? Also there is a VERY old cemetery on Ranger road west of Alger Road (Fulton Twp) that is in rather deplorable shape. Is there a listing for this and is any restoration of these markers planned?? This is truly an historic place!

Beebe or Pine Grove Cemt..Lookup??

Posted: 31 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 9:32PM GMT
Surnames: Vernon
Could anyone who lives in Emerson do A lookup for me in these two Cemeteries? I have done my research and have pretty much narrowed it down. This site says they are transcribed...somewhere??

Beebe Cemetery on Bagly Road,Emerson TWP,Ithica

Pine Grove Cemetery on Tyler Road,Emerson TWP,Ithica
I am looking for the resting place for Jane Ann Vernon
She died of "fever" on September 8, 1887.
I have tried endless times with phone calls to Ithaca and Emerson TWP to find out info but thye keep sending me outdated contacts. Where do I go from here other than to visit these cemeteries and walk them myself?????
Could anyone that has access to this transription do a look up for me.
Thank you Julie

Cemeteries

David Britten (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: BRITTEN
The Gratiot County Historical & Genealogical society sells books with transcriptions of each cemetary. See their site.

Gratiot Co. Cemeteries

Posted: 18 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 4 Jan 2006 10:28PM GMT
http://www.mifamilyhistory.net/migenweb/migratio2/cemeteries...

http://www.rootsweb.com/~migratio/cemeteries2.htm

Either of the above will work. You'll have to copy and paste them.

There are none online at present as the Gratiot Historical Society and the DAR did these back in the 1930's and they are in book form.

Pat

show me th esites

Judy Setzer (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Where's the site for Gratiot Co. Cemetary Sites??

unknown cemetery

Posted: 19 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 13 Jan 2002 1:33AM GMT

I was once a resident of Gratiot County (1952)
There was an old cemetery. Five miles West of Ithaca on Washington Road, one mile north on Ely Hwy then ½ a mile west of Harper Store, Davis School and the North Star Grainge. I passed it each day on my trip to and from Davis School.
Would you happen to know if it is still there after 50 odd years? Also is thre a list of who is buried there. Thank you

Unknown Cemetery

Posted: 29 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 10 Jul 2001 3:49AM GMT
Surnames: Gunderman, Eisenlord
Hi Wayne! Great to hear from you. I don't know anything about the cemetery west of Ely Highway, but I will definitely plan to check it out for you sometime this fall. I plan to spend a little more time touring Gratiot and Clinton Counties in search of some other deceased relatives including Oakleys, Eisenlords, Litles and Gundermans (haven't had much luck with my postings). I have been spending a lot of time trying to locate 4 Gunderman relatives from the Civil War and cannot believe how they have apparently fallen from the face of the earth altho they served and lived nearly all of their lives in Gratiot and Clinton counties.

Hope the orchards are escaping the drought and that the motorhome is still in the foreseeable future!!!! Take care!!!
Posted: 27 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 29 Apr 2005 3:42PM GMT
Here are two publications I ordered from the Library of Michigan several months ago and what a great help. The Source Book helps locate the cemeteries and tells if transciptions or readings are available at the library.

Michigan Cemetery Atlas (Maps showing nearly 4,000 cemeteries)

Michigan Cemetery Source Book (companion to Cemetery Atlas)

Unknown Cemetery

Posted: 31 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jul 2001 2:05AM GMT
Wayne - I spoke with a member of the Gratiot County Historical Society today who was raised in the general area you referred to in your query. As the stones crumbled they were removed and eventually the farm was sold and the land tilled. The Cemetery never had a formal name, never had stones recorded and there is no evidence today that it ever existed.

Unknown cemetery

Posted: 28 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 3 Jan 2002 2:17PM GMT
Surnames: Bates
i know that some of my family was buried in a small cemetery in Gratiot county and my great grandmother, Dorothy Bates Newell signed a paper to have the graves moved to another site, the last names were Bates.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions