Search for content in message boards

HUGHES/ALABAMA

HUGHES/ALABAMA

jeannie collins (View posts)
Posted: 27 Dec 1999 12:33PM GMT
I am looking for Parents of John Douglas Hughes.John was born April 20, 1867. He was married in Pickens Co AL in 1889 to Sallie "A.B." Leonard. I dont know if he was born there. He died in 1927. They had 12 children. If you have info please e-mail me tcollins@cableone.net

JOHN D. SALLIE LEONARD HUGHES

CINDY GRAVES (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jan 2000 6:02AM GMT
I AM ALSO LOOKING FOR THE PARENTS OF JOHN DOUGLAS HUGHES. I DO HOWEVER KNOW THE PARENTS OF HIS WIFE SALLIE. THEY WERE GREEN A. MARTHA SUSAN JONES LEONARD. THE TWELVE CHILDREN OF JOHN DOUGLAS AND SALLIE LEONARD HUGHES WERE JOHN CHESLEY, PETER LEE VESTER, REED D., JANIE, LILLIE, TRANNIE, CASSIE, MAMIE LEE, WILLIAM COOPER, MARTHA, FAUNEY GREEN, AND CECIL VANDAMIN HUGHES. JOHN D SALLIE HUGHES WOULD BE MY GREAT, GREAT, GREAT PARERNAL GRANDPARENTS. ANY INFO ON THIS FAMILY WOULD BE APPRECIATED. RESPOND ON MESSAGE BOARD OR EMAIL ME A CINDLEST@AOL.COM

Re: JOHN D. SALLIE LEONARD HUGHES

Posted: 28 Nov 2002 6:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi cindy It is Jeannie Hughes. It has been a long time since I talked to you. Please e-mail me and let me know how you are doing.

Re: HUGHES/ALABAMA

Posted: 2 Dec 2011 5:36PM GMT
Surnames: Hughes Perkins Leonard Lenard
Wanted to message and see if you have every come up with an answer for this question. I have posted the info below elsewhere, but wanted to see if you have found out anything.

I have been searching for my Great-Great Grandfather through multiple sites for years now and have finally come to an impasse.

Please if you have any thing that can help me find this long lost relative.

The problem arises at the sudden apperance of my GGrandfather "John Douglas Hughes" in 1889 when he married A.B. "Sallie Alice" Leonard(Lenard in some records). After that he appears in every census record available and death records. The first census record that is verifiable based on my known great aunts uncles is 1900 in Pickens County Alabama were it says he was born in Miss. in 1867 and both parents born in Alabama. This has also been verified by other sources, but the 1920 census has a correction to say he was born in 1877, but that would meant he was married at 12 and had his first son at 13(not impossible, but seems immprobable even for the days).

The only written or spoken word in regards to JD Hughes is from my Grandmother "Mamie Lee Hughes". She stated that he was sent by his grandmother from Tishomingo, Missisipi to Alabama to live with his Uncle Reed(First or Last Name?). The reason was that JD Hughes father died of measles in the Civil War. These dates dont seem to match with Civil war era, but seeing as how Alabama and Missisippi did not aggree with the war and the 14th amendment it is still possible that some soldiers were not home yet and were getting sick on the way home.

I cannot find any evidence of a Reed Hughes in Alabama other than JD Hughes son Reed, which he was probably named after his uncle, so the above story does make sense.

The only John Hughes I can find in Alabama with the right age is the nephew of Ship and Vicy Perkins in 1880 census. They appear to be former slaves. The only possible explanation that I can find for this would be that he was a possible union between a Perkins and a Hughes(possibly illegitament). I have found evidence that the Hughes and the Perkins were of the same family line in Missisippi, but I can't make the definitve link. John Hughes is listed as mulatto, but my great aunts and uncles are very cacusian looking. I have read that there was some dispute within the Perkins family line about them being of African decesent, while they looked to be very caucasian and claimed to be from Europe. So this may be possible that a union between a hughes and a Perkins would create a mulatto child that is very caucasion looking.

You may have a link were a John D Hughes was in Alabama with parents Jospeph and Eliza Hughes, but it does not seem to fit with the above stories and Jospeh Hughes says he was born in South Carolina, not Alabama.

I have seen others looking for this same link, but have never seen anyone find it.

Thanks in advance.

Posted: 8 Feb 2012 11:07PM GMT
I am not sure if I can be any help or not. My GGrandfather was named Thomas DeGraffenreed Hughes and may have been called Reed. As far as I know, there is not family connection to that area of Mississippi or Perkins family. However, I have been unable to find alot about his family and still haven't been able to find a brother Joseph. The people I am referring to are of Caucasion race. In my research, I have found a Reed Hughes in Jasper Alabama which is in Walker County and is close to Pickens County. I have been unable to connect him to my line. If you think there is a connection, please let me know and I will do whatever I can to help.

Mary Hughes Butler

Posted: 28 Apr 2012 10:27AM GMT
My grandfather is Gene Boyd Hughes, sisters are Hilda Hughes, Martina Hughes, and Pricilla Hughes, brother, David Hughes. All from Alabama.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions