Search for content in message boards

Francis Reginald Wilson (Collins?) Dr Bernardo's Home

Francis Reginald Wilson (Collins?) Dr Bernardo's Home

Jean Norley (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jan 2004 10:56PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Jan 2009 10:24AM GMT
Surnames: Wilson, Collins,
We know my husbands uncle Francis Reginald Collins (Wilson?) was shipped to Canada as part of the "HOME CHILDREN"Scheme, he sailed from Southamption on the SSKensington in 1905 at the age of about 12 years...since he wasn't an orphan, we would like to find out the whys of how he came to be in a Dr Bernando Home, but so far all attempts at tracing the home itself has been fruitless..can anyone give us a nudge in the right direction, please??????

Re: Francis Reginald Wilson (Collins?) Dr Bernardo's Home

Posted: 8 Feb 2004 9:05PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2004 9:11PM GMT
I have traced family members that were in Dr Barnardo's by writing to them. I purchased photographs of my family members when they were admitted to Barnardo's to. They were very helpful.

Jean Norley (View posts)
Posted: 8 Feb 2004 9:46PM GMT
Sorry I don't quite understand, you've traced them by writing whom??? Do you mean you have written the Home? But how would one find the address....it seems there were a number of them at one time, but a lot of those are a) closed on b) under another name...I do appreciate your feedback and if you could possibly expand upon your reply I would be most grateful.....

Posted: 9 Feb 2004 5:26PM GMT
I wrote to the organisation. I will look up the address and forward it to you. They have records of all the children that were placed in their establishments. They will do a name search. Like you I did not know which home my family member went to but did have his address that he lived at before he went to Dr. Barnordos.

Jean Norley (View posts)
Posted: 9 Feb 2004 9:55PM GMT

At this point after knocking our heads against this brick wall for months, I would greatly appreciate any help I can get here believe me...thank you so much for taking the time to respond......God Bless

Posted: 12 Feb 2004 7:17PM GMT
Barnardo's
After Care Service.
Tanner Lane.
Barkingside.
Ilford. Essex 1G6 1QG
www.barnardos.org.uk
I found them very helpful but you do have to wait quite a while before they reply to your enquirey because, I assume, they have so many.
Good Luck Irene

Re: Barnardo's Home and After Care

Posted: 22 Mar 2004 4:13PM GMT
Edited: 12 Sep 2005 10:40PM GMT
Hi Listers

I myself was in Dr Barnardo's Home Dallington Lodge, Northampton between 1951-1959.

Only in the last year did I contact the After Care Team and I personally have nothing but praise for the way they dealt with my enquiry.

On the 8th March 2004 exactly 53 years to the day (after my arrival at Boy's Garden City (Woodbridge Green) ) I returned to Barkingside and with my Husband Pat where we were given a pleasant welcome and shown places by my After Care Worker and allowed to take pictures of the surroundings. I therefore have fullfilled an acheivement that I never thought I would ever make.

In September of last year I myself donated to Barnardo's photographs of endless children that were with me and my brothers and sisters at Dallington Lodge and I am trying to name some of the other children in them as there are no other names on the pictures.

These are with countless other memories from other Barnardo children of which I feel honoured to so be remembered as.

So please if you think that you may remember me or were resident also at the home in the above period please contact me.

Sandy

Re: Barnardo's Home and After Care

Posted: 14 Oct 2005 9:21PM GMT
Hello Sandy

I couldn't think of any other way to contact you. My emails to you of Friday 14 October 2005 are bouncing, I'm afraid.

Best wishes

Janet

Jean Norley (View posts)
Posted: 14 Oct 2005 9:30PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jan 2009 10:26AM GMT
Surnames: Wilson, Collins
Please accept the heartfelt appreciation of all of my extended family for the assistance you provided re Dr. Barnardo After Care in Ilford Essex...My husband and I went to Ilford in May of last year and within 6 months and a full and complete file, (even pictures of Frank when he was taken into Dr. Barnardo at 6 yrs old in 1901) unbelievably thorough and extensive, including follow up reports after he reached his destination in Canada, Dresden Ontario.....if ever anyone is due to be elevated to Sainthood it is you....God Bless
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions