Search for content in message boards

1763 wagon train to North Carolina with Michael Shoffner

1763 wagon train to North Carolina with Michael Shoffner

Posted: 15 Sep 2011 3:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Shoffner, Fogleman, Spoon, Moser, Coble, Clapp, Anthony, Isley, Low
I have traced 16 families whom I think were on the 1763 wagon train to North Carolina with Michael Shoffner:
1. Michael Shoffner + Margaretha Fogleman and: Michael Jr, George, Maria Magdalena (Molly), Martin, Frederic age 2;
2. John Spoon the elder + wife Sally and: Adam, John the younger;
3. Bro Johann Adam Spoon + wife Anna Margaretha Trinkel and: Johann George, Margaret;
4. Johann Adam Moser + wife Anna Maria Stehler Boehm and: Anthony, Francis, Elizabeth, Anna Philipena, Weirich, Adam, Tobias, Jacob;
5. (his nephew) Frederick Moser + Maria Barbara Lieser and: Jacob, Michael, Abraham, Johann Phillip, Jurg, Maria Barbara, Katy, Magdalena, Johann Nicholas;
6. Malachi Fogleman + wife (no children),
7. Hans George Fogleman + Catharina Elisabetha Low and: Peter M age 8, Anna Margaretha, George Adam, John S age 3 Elisabeth age 1
their father Michael Fogleman age 60,
8. 1.3-1 Jacob Anthony II age 18 (+ Molly Shoffner not yet married) with father Jacob Sr + Margaretha
9. George Valentine Clapp + wife Anna Barbara Stiess and children: John Philip, Maria Barbara, George Tobias;
10. George Adam Coble + wife Anna Margaretha Spoon (niece of above Spoons) and children: Peter, John (Saddler John);
11. his bro Anthonius ‘Anthony’ Coble + wife Anna Maria Amick and: Johannes George (John), Maria Elizabeth, Turley, Ludwig (Lewis), Nicholas, David;
12. their bro Hans George Coble + wife Anna Margaretha Stahli and: Johann David;
their father Johann George ‘Hans Jerick’ Coble age 70
13. Malachi Isley + Mary Magdalene Carlin and: Malachi Jr, Philip;
14. His bro Ludwig Isley + Elizabeth Sommer and: Balthasar, Christian;
15. George Friedrich Fogleman (Melchior Sr’s son) may already be there + Anna Catherina Götz and: George Adam, Anna Margaretha, Elizabeth (baby);
16. Johann Melchior Fogleman Jr (Melchior Sr’s son) may already be there + Christina

Germans Already in NC:
Johann Jacob Coble (nephew of ‘Hans Jerick’ Coble) + Catherine Glass (pregnant) and: Dolly age 12, Ehalah Julianna, Nicholas, and children by prev. mar: Anna Margaretha, Johann Jacob are already there. Maybe his brother Johann George Coble + Anna Margaretha Glass too. John Anderson Nutt, Conrad Low and father Johann David Low and mother Anna Maria;
possible: Conrad Friedrich Keck (arr. Before 1796) + wife Mary Ann Butcher+ multiple children;

If anyone know anyone else who was on this wagon train, or if any of this info is wrong, pls let me know, as I'm writing a genealogy of Michael Shoffner and related families.
Thanks,
Susie

Re: 1763 wagon train to North Carolina with Michael Shoffner

Posted: 4 Oct 2011 10:26PM GMT
Where did this wagontrain come from? Were there any folks from VA(WV)
Ginny at vmartinez5946@aol.com

Posted: 12 Nov 2011 4:55PM GMT
The Clapps were ancestors of mine. George Valentine Clapp (1702-1773) and Anna Barbara Stiess (1706-1773) were husband and wife. John Phillip Clapp (1737-1821) was their son, who was married to Barbara Clapp (1737-1821), and they had a son named Tobias (1758-1880). The wagon train party may have been 3 generations of the Clapps. Is there any more information on this wagon train?

Posted: 16 Nov 2011 6:53PM GMT
This is the first I heard of THIS wagontrain. The one I know of left VA to New Design, MONROE CO. IL. I know alot of the people in NC came IL about the same time, and I thought they all might have joined together.
In NC about that time I had a
MARTIN, JOHN & GEORGE LOY/LOI/LOW/LAY/LEI.
I also had TIERY/TIREY/TYRE/TYREE, CAMERON & TERRELL in
N.C. PHILLIPS and WILDERMAN/WILDENMAN were a couple more from NC to IL. Seems the stopped at TN and had a couple of kids there, and did the same in KY before they finally ended up in ST.CLAIRE CO. IL, before 1800.
Thanks, GINNY at vmartinez5946@aol.com

Posted: 16 Nov 2011 6:57PM GMT
Surnames: CLAPPS & WRIGHT.
I found my old paperwork on the ancestry on the family of THE DAYTON OH WRIGHT FAMILY. Seems some CLAPPs were related to Orville and Wilber, some though their brothers' marriages.
GINNY vmartinez5946@aol.com

Posted: 16 Nov 2011 7:00PM GMT
I notices the name STIESS and wondered if it could have originally been STITES or SIKES. There are a few of the names you had that looked like a twist of other German names I have come across.
Where did this wagon train originate from?
GINNY at vmartinez5946@aol.com

Posted: 2 Jan 2014 6:31PM GMT
Surnames: Shoffner; Fogleman; Spoon; Clapp; Moser; Coble; Anthony; Isley; Poor; Snodderly; Graves; Albright: May; Greeson
They came from York, PA and many were associated with Sherman's Lutheran church in West Manheim. I think Hans Michael Holt (who was on Second Germanna Colony, Apr 1717 to Virginia) + Anna Elizabeth Schleible + Multiple children may have already been in NC. So there were clearly some from the Second Germanna Colony in virginia who moved to NC.
Susie

Posted: 2 Jan 2014 6:51PM GMT
Surnames: Loy; Lau; Fogleman
thanks. will research. MARTIN, JOHN & GEORGE LOY/LOI/LOW/LAY/LEI are especially interesting, as Loy may be from Lau and the Laus (Lows) were connected to the foglemans. Do you have any details on these people?
Susie

Posted: 2 Jan 2014 6:55PM GMT
Surnames: Shoffner; Fogleman; Spoon; Clapp; Moser; Coble; Anthony; Isley; Poor; Snodderly; Graves; Albright: May; Greeson
I have traced 23 families who could have been on the 1763 wagon train to North Carolina from York, PA with Michael Shoffner:
Pls let me know if you have any corrections/additions to this info.

Chart: Possibly on the 1763 wagon train to North Carolina with Michael Shoffner:
1. Michael Shoffner + Margaretha Fogleman and: Michael Jr, George, Maria Magdalena (Molly), Martin, Frederic age 2;
#2. John Spoon the elder + wife Sally and: Adam, John the younger;
#3. his brother Johann Adam Spoon + wife Anna Margaretha Trinckel and: Johann George, Margaret;
#4. Johann Adam Moser + wife Anna Maria Stehler Boehm and: Anthony, Francis, Elizabeth, Anna Philipena, Weirich, Adam, Tobias, Jacob;
#5. (his nephew) Frederick Moser + Maria Barbara Lieser and: Jacob, Michael, Abraham, Johann Phillip, Jurg, Maria Barbara, Katy, Magdalena, Johann Nicholas;
*6. Malachi Fogleman 1729 – 1810 + wife (no children),
*7. Hans George Fogleman 1721 – 1785+ Catharina Elisabetha Low and: Peter M age 8, Anna Margaretha, George Adam, John S age 3 Elisabeth age 1
their father Michael Fogleman age 60,
8. 1.3-1 Jacob Anthony II age 18 (+ Molly Shoffner not yet married) with father Jacob Sr + Margaretha
*9. George Valentine Clapp 1702 – 1773 + wife Anna Barbara Stiess and children: John Philip, Maria Barbara, George Tobias;
#10. George Adam Coble 1727 – 1774 + wife Anna Margaretha Spoon (niece of above Spoons) and children: Peter, John (Saddler John);
11. his brother Anthonius ‘Anthony’ Coble 1716-1793 + wife Anna Maria Amick (may have already been there as family trees say wife died 1760 in Orange) and: Johannes George (John), Maria Elizabeth, Ludwig (Lewis), Nicholas, David;
12. their brother Hans George Coble + wife Anna Margaretha Stahli and: Johann David;
their father Johann George ‘Hans Jerick’ Coble age 70
*13. Malachi Isley 1733–1808 + Mary Magdalene Carlin and: Malachi Jr, Philip;
14. His bro Ludwig Isley + Elizabeth Sommer and: Balthasar, Christian;
15. George Friedrich Fogleman (Melchior Sr’s son) may have already been there + Anna Catherina Götz and: George Adam, Anna Margaretha, Elizabeth (baby);
16. Johann Melchior Fogleman Jr (Melchior Sr’s son) may have already been there + Christina
17. Philip George Snodderly + Elizabeth Sabina Turley + children + spouses
*18. Peter Poor
*19. John Jacob Graves 1746 – 1820 + Dorothea Turley Coble + family
*20. Peter Noe II 1710 – 1787 + family
*21. Ludwig 'Lodawick' Albright 1731 – 1810 + Anna Maria Keller + family
*22. Daniel May 1722 – 1821 + Maria Barbara Clapp + family
*23 Isaac Greeson 1712 – 1768 + Margaret Bruner + family
Germans Already in NC:
Johann Jacob Coble (nephew of ‘Hans Jerick’ Coble) + Catherine Glass (pregnant) and: Dolly age 12, Ehalah Julianna, Nicholas, and children by prev. mar: Anna Margaretha, Johann Jacob.
Maybe his brother Johann George Coble + Anna Margaretha Glass too.
John Anderson Nutt
Conrad Low 1755 – 1796 and father Johann David Low 1724 – 1794 (naturalised 10 Apr 1761 in Orange NC) and family
Hans Michael Holt (on Second Germanna Colony, Apr 1717 to Virginia) + Anna Elizabeth Schleible + Multiple children
*Johann Ludwig Clapp 1711 – 1777, arrived 1747 + Anna Margaret Strader + numerous children
*Ludwig Swing 1723 – 1790 in Orange by 1755
possible: Conrad Friedrich Keck (arr. Before 1796) + wife Mary Ann Butcher+ multiple children
*naturalised together in 22 Mar or 22 Sep 1763 in Salisbury District, Rowan County ,
#family traditions say Shoffners/Foglemans travelled with the Spoons and Mosers

Posted: 3 Apr 2014 3:57PM GMT
Surnames: Shoffner, Lau, Low
Conrad Lau, b. 1697 in Alsace (today's eastern France, on the German border), immigrated to York Co. PA in 1732. He sailed on the pink "John & William" with his brother Christian and their families. Christian remained in PA. Conrad moved to Orange Co, NC about 1755. Johann David Low, b. 1724 in Alsace, was Conrad's oldest son.

I am researching the LAU / LOW family from Bedford County, TN. Interestingly, there was a Henderson Shoffner, great-grandson of Michael Shoffner, who married Margaret LOW, a great-granddaughter of Johann David LOW. They married in Bedford Co, TN in 1851.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions