Search for content in message boards

Lucy Mallory/Mallary Village

Lucy Mallory/Mallary Village

Richard A. Parks (View posts)
Posted: 23 Nov 2005 7:15PM GMT
Classification: Query
For use in a family history: seeking info on the beginnings and chronology of this housing project in East Springfield. My family lived there 1944-49. How was it funded? How many units? What were rental figures through the years? Present status?

And while we're at it: what happened to "Patriot's Corners"?

Re: Lucy Mallory/Mallary Village

Deborah Smith (View posts)
Posted: 30 Nov 2005 4:03AM GMT
I live not far from this housing project. I always heard that this was built during WWII as "overflow" housing for nearby Westover Air Force Base in Chicopee - however, this is heresay, I don't know for sure that this is correct information. The village consists of freestanding duplex houses, each house containing 2 side-by-side rental units, but I don't know how many houses there are - maybe 40 or 50? They are spread over half a dozen small streets. At some point the individual houses were sold to private owners - I don't know when this took place. During the 1970's I lived in one of these houses; my landlord owned just that one house, which was typical.

Regrettably, much of that "village" has become very rundown in the past 10 years and now resembles a slum.

Richard Parks (View posts)
Posted: 30 Nov 2005 12:25PM GMT
Thanks, Debbie - Last time I drove through, the units did seem run down. The buildings on my street - Cameron - were four-plexes; I wonder if they were converted. The rooms were tiny - my room was about 9x10 feet, and the basements were half-size, with coal furnaces. Many of the residents were workers at Fisk, Savage, and Westinghouse. Rents were $40/month in 1944.

Dan (View posts)
Posted: 10 Dec 2005 12:45AM GMT
As I recall Lucy Mallory Village was located near the intersection of Carew Street and St. James Ave in East Springfield across from what is now Mary O. Pottenger School. There was another similar housing development a few yards down Carew Street adjacent to Van Sickle Jr. High School. I think that was called Carpe Diem, possibly Patriots Corner although that may have been in Chicopee.

Dick Parks (View posts)
Posted: 10 Dec 2005 4:22PM GMT
Thanks, Dan - when I lived there, the development next to VanSickle (where I was a student) was indeed called Patriot's Corners - it was thrown up in a rush for housing returning vets, and the units were basically tarpaper barracks as duplexes. Even as kids we thought it was a raw deal for the vets. Mallory Village at least had brick fronts. The thing is, the famous person was named Lucy Mallary, not Mallory, so what's up with that? Need more . . . .

Posted: 26 Feb 2013 5:38PM GMT
Don;t know if you're still interested. Lucy Mallary was my great grandmother

Try this link:

http://pvhn2.wordpress.com/1900-2/lucy-walker-mallary/

Larry Stahlberg

Posted: 30 Jun 2013 2:11AM GMT
The basic building in the village was a two-story barracks-like structure housing four apartments, each on two floors, each with a front and a back entrance. There were also one-story cottages which held two apartment for families with a baby or a small child. Most families had two or, much less often, three children. The village was rapidly constructed at the start of World War II to house workers in war plants, as we called them then in age of greater honesty. Eventually, long after the war ended, the village was privatized and it quickly became, as many posts here indicate, quite run down, not least because the new owners often painted the white siding in a motley of unattractive colors.

Posted: 30 Jun 2013 2:18AM GMT
The village has 300 units. I'm not sure whether it was funded by the federal or city government. We lived there from 1942 (we were among the earliest settlers) until 1953, when I was in college. I'm almost finished writing a memoir about my childhood that includes many details about the village. If you're interested in reading it, let me know.

Posted: 4 Jul 2013 9:17PM GMT
My dad was offered a LMV option when he started working at the Armory in 1943. He died suddenly and the offer was withdrawn. I believe the first units to be completed were quite nice but as the demand for rental properties increased the construction became less than professional. Probably because the true craftsmen were drafted into military service.
Please advise when your memoir is published.

Posted: 27 Feb 2014 7:29PM GMT
I lived in the village from 1951 until 1966. They were originally government owned and were built for the returning WW II vets. They were sold to the public in 1959. Each block consisted of six 2 story buildings each with four apartments and two single story buildings with two apartments. There are about 350 units in the project. It saddens me to see what has happened to my old neighborhood.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions