Search for content in message boards

David Beers/Kate Conely-Jackson Mi.

David Beers/Kate Conely-Jackson Mi.

Sue B. (View posts)
Posted: 15 Nov 2004 1:46PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: BEERS-CONELY-FULLER
In looking up my own family (I am not related to the Beers or Conely family), I found much information on the David Beers family. He came from Oh. married Kate Conely and had one daughter. If any one is interested in this information please let me know and I will send it on. Sue Bressette

Re: David Beers/Kate Conely-Jackson Mi.

patty (View posts)
Posted: 16 Nov 2004 2:21PM GMT
We are Beers and there was a David Beers who was my uncle and we lost a lot of contact with him over the years. We too, are from Ohio. Could you send me what you have?

You can send it to our above email if you like.

Thanks --

Posted: 20 Nov 2004 7:48PM GMT
Edited: 29 Oct 2006 11:33PM GMT
My family is primarily from Pennsylvania, though, I do know that some to my family members did move to Ohio.
I am interested in this family. There may or may not be a connection. Thank you

Posted: 27 Jun 2006 9:17PM GMT
THE JACKSON DAILY CITIZEN, Tuesday, April 24, 1888 MAY'S MISSIVE Full text of the letter left by May Beers, Who took her own life in Lansing Sunday-Desperation the crime. The following letter addressed to Mrs. Jennie Egbert, with whom May Beers boarded, in Lansing, was found among the dead girls effects by the Lansing authorities, and more fully explains the suicides feeling at the time of taking the fatal dose: MY OWN DEAR JENNIE;- I am sick of living. I have nothing to live for and I am heartily discouraged. I am no use to myself and no one else. I have no money and no way to help myself, and it will be a long time before I can. I am sorry that I left you and hope that you will forgive me. Jennie I like you, you have been a good, true friend to me, and I hate to take the step that I am going to take. Oh Jennie, if I was only well what comfort we could take. The county can bury me. And Jennie, never let my mother know what became of me. Write to Mattie Hollis at Box 1514 Jackson, Michigan and tell her all. When you are having good times just think of poor May. Good-bye Jennie dear,.I hate to do this but will be better off. I can't write any more as my heart is full, so good bye. POOR HEARTBROKEN MAY The Lansing Republican describes the incident previous to the taking of the poisoning drug as follows:" The girl being sick in mind and body, with no friends to care for her and no money with which to take care of herself, she became despondent, and borrowing twenty-five cents, she sent a young son of Mrs. Egbert's to one of the drug stores and procurred the amount in morphine. The boy, who is only nine years old, returned with the poison, and upon may's saying she was going to take the stuff, a daughter siezed it and succeeded in taking it away from her. She was desperate and bound to make way with herself. She siezed the young girl and did not succeed in getting the package until she had taken her down on the floor and with force of a person goaded to desperation wrenched it from her. At about eleven o'clock she retires and in a short time Mrs. Egbert heard a queer sound issuing from her apartments, and going into the room, saw May with her head drawn down on to her breast, and this being the second attempt on her life, she knew she had taken poison." The remains of the unfortunate girl, encased at a fairly good casket, purchased by the Lansing authorities, arrived in this city at 11:20 a.m. and were taken in charge by Undertaker W.W. Bennett. The funeral took place from the residence of Mrs. Kate Fuller, May Beers' mother, on Pearl St. at 3 oclock p.m., and the body will be placed for the present in the vault at Mt. Evergreen cemetery THE JACKSON DAILY CITIZEN, Tuesday, April 24, 1888 MAY'S MISSIVE Full text of the letter left by May Beers, Who took her own life in Lansing Sunday-Desperation the crime. The following letter addressed to Mrs. Jennie Egbert, with whom May Beers boarded, in Lansing, was found among the dead girls effects by the Lansing authorities, and more fully explains the suicides feeling at the time of taking the fatal dose: MY OWN DEAR JENNIE;- I am sick of living. I have nothing to live for and I am heartily discouraged. I am no use to myself and no one else. I have no money and no way to help myself, and it will be a long time before I can. I am sorry that I left you and hope that you will forgive me. Jennie I like you, you have been a good, true friend to me, and I hate to take the step that I am going to take. Oh Jennie, if I was only well what comfort we could take. The county can bury me. And Jennie, never let my mother know what became of me. Write to Mattie Hollis at Box 1514 Jackson, Michigan and tell her all. When you are having good times just think of poor May. Good-bye Jennie dear,.I hate to do this but will be better off. I can't write any more as my heart is full, so good bye. POOR HEARTBROKEN MAY The Lansing Republican describes the incident previous to the taking of the poisoning rdug as follows:" The girl being sick in mind and body, with no friends to care for her and no money with which to take care of herself, she became despondent, and borrowing twenty-five cents, she sent a young son of Mrs. Egbert's to one of the drug stores and procurred the amount in morphine. The boy, who is only nine years old, returned with the poison, and upon may's saying she was going to take the stuff, a daughter siezed it and succeeded in taking it away from her. She was desperate and bound to make way with herself. She siezed the young girl and did not succeed in getting the package until she had taken her down on the floor and with force of a person goaded to desperation wrenched it from her. At about eleven o'clock she retires and in a short time Mrs. Egbert heard a queer sound issuing from her apartments, and going into the room, saw May with her head drawn down on to her breast, and this being the second attempt on her life, she knew she had taken poison." The remains of the unfortunate girl, encased at a fairly good casket, purchased by the Lansing authorities, arrived in this city at 11:20 a.m. and were taken in charge by Undertaker W.W. Bennett. The funeral took place from the residence of Mrs. Kate Fuller, May Beers' mother, on Pearl St. at 3 oclock p.m., and the body will be placed for the present in the vault at Mt. Evergreen cemetery. An article in the Lansing, MI. newspaper said that her Mother (Kate) was dying of cancer, her Uncle from consumption and her Grandmother was taking care of the two of them at the time of May's death. Kate ran a diner in Jackson,before she got sick. It sounds like she did quite well. The newspaper has the story about her family finding out about Mays death ( a reporter told them!) Sue Bressette
per page

Find a board about a specific topic