Search for content in message boards

General Evan Shelby

General Evan Shelby

Kimberly Hosey (View posts)
Posted: 19 May 2001 4:01PM GMT
I have recently been on a history excursion in Bristol Tennessee. On my journey I came across a tombstone bearing one Gen Evan Shelby. Its an iron coffin embedded in concrete, that can be seen just to look at it. This has sparked a great interest in me. The dates on the coffin read as follows:
baptized october 31, 1719 in Wales
died dec 4, 1794

If anyone has any information to add, i would greatly appreciate it. I have pictures of the tombstone also. Email me at serenity74@angelfire.com thanks

Re: General Evan Shelby

Posted: 20 Jul 2001 12:59AM GMT
Edited: 29 Dec 2001 3:24AM GMT
Gen Shelby was son of Evan Shelby and Catherine Daviess from Wales to America about 1732. Gen Shelby in battles of Rev., father of Gen Isaac Shelby, Rev hero King's Moutain etc., three times gov of KY. Large family with many leaders militarily and politically.

Posted: 23 Jan 2002 7:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 6 Jan 2004 11:46PM GMT
It has been quite some time since I've been on this Board...

Gotta make a correction.. :-)

Evan SHELBYs wife was Catherine MORGAN, they were married in the St Caron's Church in Tregaron, Cardiganshire, Wales, 9 Feb 1716. The original record shows her name as Catherina.

My husband is a direct descendant of Gen Isaac Shelby

Judy

Posted: 24 Jan 2002 2:43AM GMT
Edited: 28 Dec 2002 2:44AM GMT
Thank you Judy. I received this correction too late to be ncluded in my writings. I am of the line from daughter Rachel Shelby McFarland 1721-1800 who married Capt. Philip Pindall.

Posted: 24 Jan 2002 5:21AM GMT
Hello,
So have you been able to publish your data in book form? If so, I really would be interested.

I presume then that you are showing Rachel, Bpt 10 Oct 1721, as the daughter of Evan and Catherine Shelby?

Another new finding...This Rachel's Baptismal record, which I now have, shows clearly that she was a daughter of "a" Recei Shelby- She's too old to be the child of the Rees and Mary Shelby we know. Mayhaps his sister??
+++++++
Will of Philip PINDALL:
Will Bk #1 p321 - Monongalia Co probate records at Morgantown WV: Not dated:
...To son Jacob....wife Rachel....To son-in-law, John COMBEES...To grandson James PINDALL, son of Thomas and Judah PINDALL...To Thomas McFARLAND, son of John and Susannah McFARLAND...To Philip COMBES, son of John and Rachel COMBES...

"At a court held for Mononagalia County January Term 1804. This writing purporting to be the last will and testament of Philip PINDALL dec'd and proved in court...
+++++++
Letters: Lillian Chambers (Mrs Arthur J) O'Oneill of Chicago, IL to Cass Knight Shelby, 1933: 8 Jun - "My mother was Rachel Pindell Coombs, daughter of Edward Pindell Coombs, who came from near Uniontown, PA, to WI in 1836, dying there in 1849." My mother was named by her father for his mother, Rachel Pindell, who became the wife of John Coombs..."
++++++++
In 1968 Miss Ruby Jane Shelby went to Tregaron..But it wasn't until after she got home that she wrote back to the church asking the Vicar to copy the Christening records for Evan's children- Even though Rees Shelby was her ancestor, she was more excited about finding Evan..So ignored the Riceus/Recei she had found.

The Vicar wrote back giving her the data she requested- BUT, gave Rachel with this date [10 Oct 1721], as Evan & Catherine's daughter... The assumption was the Vicar knew his records...
Although there was some doubt to this, as Rev Rees, many years before, had searched the records and showed this date, but as a dau of Recei Shelby...

Christening records from St Caron's Church very clearly shows: 10 Oct 1721 Rachel Shelby fil Recei Shelby.. She is the only Shelby shown on this date.. This makes her too old to be Rees and Mary's daughter...Mayhaps a sister, with this Recei as the brother to Evan????

It seems that researchers were more interested in finding Evan and Catherine, and ignored the records for Rees/Ricei... Did this Ricei and his wife die- and their child or children taken to America by Evan and Catherine??? Are there records still in Wales to be found for Ricei and his wife?? The name definitely became Rees once they arrived in the US. Also, land records clearly show the close connections between Rees and Evan..
Again- More questions than answers!

Ummm, shall I just quietly sneak away and pretend I didn't throw all of this to you, too late? <grin>

Judy

Re: General Evan Shelby/Letitia Shelby

Posted: 3 Feb 2002 1:26PM GMT
Edited: 23 May 2002 12:31PM GMT
Surnames: Shelby
Kimberly, I would be greatly interested in seeing a picture of Evan Shelby's grave. If you have a digital picture that you could email I'd really appreciate it. I portray Letitia Shelby, wife of Gen Evan Shelby who died in Charlottesville, VA in an annual fund raiser for the Historical Society. I've been trying to find the location of their home, Sapling Grove, and perhaps visit. Could you email me directions to the grave site? Thank you very much. I appreciate your posting the information you found. Debi

Posted: 16 Mar 2002 11:32PM GMT
Hi Frank,

You Emailed me not too long ago, mentioning the NAPTON's in Mexico, MO...

I don't have much in the way of dates-but line goes this way

Gen James Shelby (son of Gov Isaac) married 28 Jul 1808, Hagerstown, MD. to Mary Pindell. They had a son Richard Pindell Shelby.
Richard married first-Lydia Hickman; second-Mrs Mitchell, formerly Rebecca L Williams.

Richard and Rebecca had a daughter Mary Pindell Shelby-
Mary P. married William Napton and had the following children:Blanche; Malinda; Shelby; William; Evan and Susan.

I have no further info on the Napton's.

Judy
Blanche

Posted: 17 Mar 2002 1:44AM GMT
Edited: 28 Dec 2002 2:44AM GMT
Thanks for the Napton connection.

Frank Wilfley

Posted: 9 Aug 2002 5:19PM GMT
Surnames: Rees Shelby
I have Rees Shelby in my DAR books. He was the son of Brig Gen also DAR. Rees married Mary Blair re DAR. There are 12 of our Shelby's who served and they are all in DAR PATRIOTIC INDEX, CENTENNIAL EDITION printed in 1994 by DAR National Society in Washington DC. The 4th volume is brides names which at times has given me the surname when it had not been available to a researcher. pipelori@fmtc.com

Judith A Trolinger (View posts)
Posted: 9 Aug 2002 10:27PM GMT
Surnames: Shelby
Hi Lorene,
Thank you for the info! Yes, familiar with the DAR records for the SHELBYs..Our libary has the books you mention.

Despite the reams of data we have for Rees..there is still all too many question mark!

Judy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions