Search for content in message boards

Edward Fogarty and wife Catherine

Edward Fogarty and wife Catherine

Posted: 28 Dec 2012 4:10AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Fogarty
Searching for any info on this couple, married in South Bend, IN, about 1848---moved on to Madison, Wi area.

Fogarty was an Irish tinker and had one leg.
He was murdered in 1879 in Wisconsin.
His wife Catherine, who was from Germany, was accused of his death along with a man who rented a room from the Fogartys. She was acquited of her husband's death.

Re: Edward Fogarty and wife Catherine

Posted: 28 Dec 2012 2:17PM GMT
I have a website "County Mayo Beginnings" in which I have a section on the Irish
in South Bend.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~irlmayo2/south_bend_indian...

The only Fogarty I found was an Edward Fogerty and wife Rose (Kennedy) in both the 1876 and 1880
census for St. Joseph Church in South Bend. I don't know if this is the Edward
Fogerty and Catherine you are referring to. In the 1876 census, Edward was 49,
wife Rose 48, dtr Katie 19, Ellen 11 and Edward 9. In 1880 Edward was listed as
53, Rose Kennedy 51, Katie 19, Ann 15, Edward 14 and John 11; Two of their
children Edwardus and Joannis Francisci were baptized in the Sacred Heart Church Records (at
Notre Dame) in 1866 and 1869 respectively.

This Edward and Rose Fogerty lived on Sorin Street in the 1880 census and he was a widow in the 1900 census so this doesn't sound like your Edward. I didn't come across any other Fogerty records in my South Bend Irish research, but the South Bend Genealogical Society has access to the archives to search for marriage records and may find your missing Edward. Do you have any idea what part of Ireland your Edward came from and if he traveled to SOuth Bend with any other Irish immigrants?
Jill Dale
Jill Dale

Posted: 28 Dec 2012 8:15PM GMT
Surnames: Fogarty, Roach, Kilgallen, Mulloy
Thank you, Jill. I do not think this was him.
I believe he came from Dublin, but not sure. That is what I am trying to figure out. Catherine's father lived with the couple for a little while. They seemed to have moved around a lot.

Will check out your site as I have family on the other side of the tree from Mayo...Kiltimagh and Bohola areas. Roach, Kilgallen, and Mulloy.

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 7:55PM GMT
Are you by any chance a descendent of William and Bridget Roach (Roche) or their children Martin, Bridget, Lizzie, Patrick and William? William and Bridget were in my 2nd GGP circle of friends witnessing baptisms at sacred heart church, Notre Dame. I don't know if they knew them before they came to SOuth Bend, like they did the McNulty's and Frains, but I plan to do a page on them on my website and trace them just the same in the event they did. I have obits, a will, city directory info and census records, etc on them. I believe my 2nd and 3rd GGP came from somewhere between Kiltimagh, Mayo and Ballaghaderreen, COunty Roscommon and am analyzing all microfilm covering that area. I have gone through the Kiltimagh (926012) and Bohola (1279230), Mayo films. My primary focus are Brennan/Corcoran/Coffee/Gahagan but those records include all surnames they married as well...I also tried to jot down the basics of all Roach records I came across (though not as complete. In the Kiltimagh film I documented a Thomas Roach/Mary Costelloe married in 1834; Dominicus Roach/Brigida Mulroy in 1835; Michael Roache/Honor Murphy in 1859; Thomas Roach/Briget Corcoran the same year etc., please feel free to contact me re: Roaches I might have captured in those films on my website email
passthemayo2@gmail.com
I would love to hear more about your Fogerty, the Tinker from South Bend! I plan to try to trace more of the South Bend Irish famlies to see if they shared any common migration trails.
Jill Dale

Posted: 22 Jan 2013 1:18PM GMT
The only Fogarty in the early St Joseph Co marriage records was in 1852. Thomas Fogarty and Mary Purcell.

Irvin Morse SBAGS volunteer
irvm3@juno.com

Posted: 23 Jan 2013 1:47PM GMT
I just saw a family tree on ancestry.com for a Thomas Fogarty (purportedly from Tipperary) and Mary Purcell (purportedly from Killarney, COunty Kildare). THey both appear to have died in Valpraiso, Porter Indiana. I contacted that tree owner to let him know about your find Irvin in the St Joseph County Marriage records...if he doesn't have that record, bet he would be thrilled to have it... that family must have just stayed briefly in South Bend like Edward (the tinker) and Catherine Fogarty. It would be interesting to see if they were related.
Jill Dale

Posted: 23 Jan 2013 2:40PM GMT
Thank you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions