Search for content in message boards

STANLEY - Sligo / Roscommon

STANLEY - Sligo / Roscommon

Simon Stanley (View posts)
Posted: 24 May 2006 11:01PM GMT
Classification: Query
Seeking Stanleys based around Sligo/Roscommon borders early C19th/late C18th.

Certainly appear in Kilshalvey in Griffiths and Kilfree in Tithes but in the absence of any others in the county, suspect they drifted up from Roscommon, perhaps as tenants of Viscount Lorton. Recurrent names include: Arthur, William, Thomas, Edward, Elizabeth etc (ie. English ones). Seem to be modest farmers (ie. land measurable in terms of tens of acres) but described in Tithes in Sligo and elsewhere as "Mr Stanley", so may have fallen on hard times after better times in Roscommon. Originally C of I but seem to have 'crossed the aisle', around 1850. Appear to have married into Irwin family, perhaps more than once.

ANY info on ANY Stanleys pre 1860s welcome. Thanks.

Re: STANLEY - Sligo / Roscommon

Mr J T Arthur (View posts)
Posted: 4 Jun 2006 11:09PM GMT
Hello Simon,

I have information on the family of Arthur Stanley of Kilshalvey, he came to live at Consett, Co Durham. The family later moved to the Denton area of Northumberland.

Mr Terence Arthur,
Ryton, Tyne & Wear, England.

Posted: 5 Jun 2006 9:55PM GMT
Surnames: Milmoe/Mattimoe/McGee/Healy/Walsh/Queenan/Crann
During the Famine, Arthur Stanley represented Kilshalvy as a member of the Boyle Board of Guardians. He also served on the Famine relief committees of Bunninadden and Corran. He lived at Knockahurka, one of a group of townlands in an area known as Harristown where he leased 51 acres of land from Thomas Irwin on the estate of William Phibbs. He also sub leased 8 houses to neighbouring tenants so he wasn't badly off. One of those tenants was James Byrne who was probably a close relation to his wife Catherine Byrne. At least three of their children Thomas, William and Edmond were baptised in the local catholic church in the 1850's.

Mr Terence Arthur.

Simon Stanley (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jun 2006 10:16PM GMT
dear terence,

thank you so much for yr messages - after several yrs of sending out rather plaintive requests, i had concluded i was the only one! we are certainly interested in the same people. arthur stanley, originally of sligo, then of blackhill, consett, then of denton, was my great, great grandfather. my father was brought up in blaydon (i see you are in ryton) and even i spent few early years in south shields, altho am now based in london.
some of your information was familiar, but some was new so we evidently have a lot to share with one another.
just for starters, what's your interest, what's your link? are we cousins? or do you have a more academic interest?
best wishes
simon

Posted: 7 Jun 2006 6:46PM GMT
Hello Simon,

We aren't related but have plenty in common, our respective Sligo ancestors both came to Co Durham from Kilshalvy. I have been doing this research now for over 15 years and have had notes on your folk for over 10 years.

I will contact you off board.

Terence.

Posted: 28 Jul 2006 8:15PM GMT
Surnames: Stanley
My GG grandfather James Stanley (1826-1890) emigrated from Ireland to New York City in 1854. His father was John B. Stanley. James married Margaret Seward (1838-1920) who also was Irish.
Thus far I have been unsuccessful in finding James' Irish birthplace. Recently a relative thought that they came from Silgo.
Any assistance woud be greatly appreciated.
Michael Stanley
mstanley@rosenfact.com

Posted: 16 Jan 2013 9:29AM GMT
Hi there
Hope you can help
I've just joined ancestry and managed to trace my family back to Arthur Stanley 1816
I see you message and hope you can help me
Kind regards
Kath
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions