Search for content in message boards

LaFrance/Stockfleth families of Plaquemines Parish

LaFrance/Stockfleth families of Plaquemines Parish

Posted: 8 Mar 2004 10:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Mar 2004 2:04PM GMT
researching my family history have gotten as far back as 1855 and Peter Joseph Lafrance. any info is a treat!

Re: LaFrance/Stockfleth families of Plaquemines Parish

Posted: 21 Mar 2004 3:21PM GMT
1870 census Plaquemines M593/526 page 217
Kaiger, Catherine - age 42 - farmer - born France
Lafrance, Nicolas - age 20 - farmer - born LA
Lafrance, Pierre - age 14 - farmer - born LA
Elston, Jefferson - age 9
Kaiger, James - age 2

1860 census Plaquemines M653/414 page 729
Ellston, Allen - age 45 - born Kentucky
Ellston, Catherine - age 35 - born France
Lafrance, Marie - age 17 - born LA
Lafrance, Lucie? - age 15 - born LA
Lafrance, Josephine - age 14 - born LA
Ellston, Josephine - age 13 - born LA
Ellston, William - age 10 - born LA
Lafrance, Nicolas - age 9 - born LA
Ellston, Louise - age 6 - born LA
Lafrance, Cecile - age 5 - born LA
Lafrance, Pierre - age 4 - born LA
Ellston, Mathilda - age 9/12 - born LA
Clark, Thomas - age 52 - born Massachusetts - Farm Laborer

Unfortunately, I cannot find them in the 1850 census, where the parents should be with the 3 oldest Lafrance girls.

It may be that Catherine was married to Lafrance first, then Ellston, then Kaiger. Some of these children may be Allen Ellston's children from a previous marriage with the exceptions of Mathilda and Jefferson.

Allen Ellston can be found in 1850 with a wife and no children. Hmmm. Nice mystery here. How can there be Ellston children born before 1850 that do not appear in the 1850 census with Allen, but are in the 1860 census with him?

Hope this helps,
Johnny

viola (View posts)
Posted: 21 Mar 2004 9:24PM GMT
Richard Stringfield is sending me his book about plaquemines Parish. Hopefully this will clear up this question.

Posted: 11 Jul 2006 8:10PM GMT
Surnames: LaFrance Melancon Lafitte
I believe I found CAtherine in the 1850 census with first husband looks like Remy LaFrance. Does anyone know who the oldest girl Josephine LaFrance married. I belive she is in my line.

Posted: 17 Dec 2006 12:03AM GMT
Catherine Bodere(Bader) did indeed marry Remy Lafrance in 1840. They had Marie(1841), Josephine(1845), Nicholas(1848), Pierre(25 December 1853), and Catherine Cecile LaFrance(1854). Remy died about 1855, and in 1858 Catherine married Allen Elston at St. Thomas Church. Their marriage record stipulated any children would be raised in the Catholic faith, Mathilde(1859) and Jefferson Davis Elston(21 September 1861). Allen Elston died about August 1864. His first wife Dorothy Schroeder, was born in Cincinnati, where they were married. Elisabeth(1844), Josephine(1847), and Marie Louise Elston(1854) were their daughters; A son, William Elston died at 13(1850-1864). Dorothy died about the same year as Remy. They lived less than a mile apart(Catherine and Allen). Catherine married again, to Paul Kiger, about 1867. Two more sons: James Kiger(1867-1881, died lockjaw), and Paul Kiger(1871, died aged 23 from railroad accident in Tennessee).
Peter lived in Triumph, and married Emma Stockfleth. Her father was Fritz and mother was Josephine Bruney. Fritz(Frederick) was Danish(?), and Josephine, French. They separated(divorced?) before 1900. Peter died on 4 July 1931, and is interred on the top tier in St. Vincent de Paul Cemetery#3, so he didn't get wet in Katrina. Emma was interred in the same cemetery, in a coping or single level tomb. My great aunt, Varena Elston Yuratich, mentioned uncle Peter Lafrance always dressed well, for someone living in Triumph. She was the daughter of Jeff Elston(d.1929) and Marie Laurenza Buras(1866 - 1851).
Josephine Lafrance married Charles SCARRAGO. She had no children of her own, but took in Mathilda's daughter from her first marriage, Katherine(b.1881) with John Haley. John developed tuberculosis in 1886, and left Mathilda before he died. Mathilda allowed Josephine to take Katherine, and later, when she remarried to Curtis Roane, sought to reunite Katherine to her new family, after 1891. Josephine refused according to family sources. Anyway, Josephine and Mathilda both lived in Goose Creek, Texas during this time.
Marie Lafrance married first a Charles Cameron in 1861. Later, she married John Fourment, and had four children. The three daughters were raised in Mother Cabrini's orphanage.
Nicholas Lafrance married Roseline Buras, and lived in Boothville. They are buried in Our Lady of Good Harbor Church Cemetery, as is Jeff Elston.
Catherine Lafrance married Onezime Sebastian Buras. Zime and Catherine lived below Buras, not as far as Triumph. Their remains are also in Our Lady of Good Harbor Cemetery.
Josephine Elston married Robert Vinton. They lived in New Orleans.
Marie Louise Elston married Frederick Welchley. They lived in Pointe a la Hache, and had one son, Frederick.
Catherine Bodere Lafrance Elston Kiger listed her parents as Joseph Bader and Marianne Coucheau, and from census references, seems to have been born about 1825, in France(vil fort in oran). Oran is probably Haut Rhin department. Many have interpreted Vil fort as Belfort, nearby modern Haut Rhin boundaries, but one or two communities in the department had similar names phonetically. Marianne Coucheau was listed as marrain on Marie Lafrance's baptismal record in 1841, so lived for a while in Louisiana. I do not know much about Joseph.
Remy Lafrance was born in 1812, the son of Charles Lafrance and Jeanne Billeaud. Much of his family is in the book, Le Pays des Fleurs Oranges, which I compiled. For family members of Peter Lafrance who went to Texas, contact James Horn, 3007 Michaelis Lane, Baytown, Texas 77521. He gave me much of the family info for Mathilda and the children of Peter who went to Baytown.

Posted: 18 Dec 2006 1:16PM GMT
Wm,
Wondered this last year how you did with the whole Katrina mess. Was in contact with some of the Buras family who ended up in Baton Rouge (after trying their luck in Holly Beach when Rita hit), not sure where they are now. Hope all is well.
Viola

Posted: 21 Mar 2008 4:17AM GMT
MS. VIOLA, I AM A DECENDANT OF MARIE LAFRANCE, SISTER TO JOSEPHINE LAFRANCE, PARENTS, REMY AND CATHERINE. MY AUNT HAS BEEN TRYING TO FIND OUT WHERE JOSEPHINE'S SISTER, MARIE LAFRANCE FOURMENT WAS BURIED. MY AUNT IS 82 AND SHE HAS BEEN TRYING TO FIND MARIE FOR OVER 45 YEARS. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKYOU, RACHAEL

Posted: 21 Mar 2008 4:21AM GMT
HELLO, I AM A DECENDANT OF MARIE LAFRANCE, SISTER TO JOSEPHINE, PARENTS, REMY AND CATHERINE. MY FAMILY HAS BEEN TRYING TO FIND OUT WHERE MARIE LAFRANCE WAS BURIED FOR 45 YEARS. IF YOU CAN HELP, WE WOULD BE VERY APPRECIATIVE. THANKYOU, RACHAEL

Posted: 21 Mar 2008 2:12PM GMT
Rachel,
Please send me your email address and I will contact my cousin who knows where most of the family is buried. Welcome to the family.
Viola

Posted: 23 Mar 2008 6:49AM GMT
HELLO, MY EMAIL IS LEON7969@CABLEONE.NET. IF WE CAN FIND MARIE, MY AUNT AND MYSELF ARE TAKING A TRIP DOWN THERE TO VISIT HER. WE JUST HOPE THAT HER BURIAL PLACE CAN BE FOUND. THANK YOU, RACHAEL
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions