Search for content in message boards

Macon, Missouri Coal Mine

Macon, Missouri Coal Mine

Charles W Brown Jr (View posts)
Posted: 23 Dec 2002 4:24PM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone know what the name of the coal mine in Macon, Missouri around 1860, 1861

Re: Macon, Missouri Coal Mine

Donna Lester (View posts)
Posted: 26 Dec 2002 5:33AM GMT
Dear Charles,
You have asked a HUGE question! There were many coal mines in Macon County, Missouri in 1860 and 1861. ALL of the mines, by 1860 were in the Bevier Coal District. The most prominent were: in 1860: Hazelton and New Castle and in 1861: Hannibal and St. Joseph Railroad Mine #1 (later the Loomis and Snively Mine #1), OakDale, later Centreville #2, Centreville Mine (later Centreville #3), Oakwood which later became Centreville Mine #4 and Mine #6. As I state, all were located either in Bevier, Macon Co., MO or east or west of the town along the Hannibal and St. Joseph railroad tracks.
I have done extensive research regarding the coal mining in Macon Co., MO in order to have a book published about the coal mining heritage. The book is entitled, "Our Black Diamond Heritage" (1993).
I know that there was a Brown family that lived and worked in the coal mines south of Bevier, in the Ardmore area, in the 1880's. I have a friend that is a descendant of this family and will gladly give you her postal address and phone number if you will contact me directly at my email address.
I wish you the best of luck with your research and I hope this will be of some help.
Donna

Posted: 27 Dec 2002 4:19PM GMT
Are copies of the book still available? If yes, where would I order one from?

Thank you!

Charles W Brown Jr (View posts)
Posted: 27 Dec 2002 4:47PM GMT
I was tracking my Great, Great, Great Grandfather John Denning who worked in one of these coal mines in the 1860. Why does everyone think that I'm doing the Brown Family I have no desire to do the Brown Family History only the Denning family History.

Posted: 28 Dec 2002 3:21AM GMT
I bought a copy of the book from Barnes and Noble Online about a year ago. Very nice, lots of photos, including "Big David" which I remember visiting on a school field trip many many years ago.

MJHecate (View posts)
Posted: 28 Dec 2002 3:37PM GMT
Thanks! I remember my dad taking my brother, sister, and I to see Big David years ago too. I remember being so fascinated by such a big piece of equipment, but scared of the noise it made.

Have a Happy Holiday!

Posted: 5 Feb 2003 11:24PM GMT
hi donna
are you the one who wrote the black diamond history of macon co missouri and do you know my sister carol sue stacey she married a kenny bork and is now living with a garry walker she was telling me that she was talking to you and you was telling her about the book i tried to order it from the library carol told me where to get it but i lost it and she cant rember i am trying to find out about the goodales, evans and jones from wales they are my grand parents im trying to trace my ancesters but i cant find out any thing ive got a lot on the davisons john berkley davison was my great grand father through eva davison of bevier missouri my mother was neoma or naomi goodale the daughter of howard arlington goodale the son of austin d. goodale and annie evans annies parents were hopkins d. goodale and mary jones when they came to america they had a daughter mary 13 she was born in wales annie was born in macon co missouri if you know any thing i sure would love to have it and id love to have the book
thank you
martha

martha (View posts)
Posted: 9 Feb 2003 5:36PM GMT
hi donna
i asked you if you wrote the book black diamond but i didnt get an answer but you never got an answer i asked if you knew my sister carol sue stacey i was talking to her the other day she said you knew her through her son rick bork he is my nephew do you know him and do you know any thing about the evans and goodales to be exact hopkins evans and wife mary jones and austin d goodale and annie evans hopkins daughter if so please let me know
thank you
martha

Donna Llewellyn Lester (View posts)
Posted: 12 Feb 2003 7:37AM GMT
Dear Martha,
Please contact me at my personal email address. I greatly appreciate all of the genealogical web sites, but, some times, we just need to speak as two people and afterwards we can share the findings on the web sites.
My email address is: cr415@gommu.com
Thanks for understand why I haven't contacted you and I will look forward to hearing from you. Please--restate your Evans and Goodale connection when you send an email to me. Thanks!!
Donna

Posted: 13 Jan 2004 7:30PM GMT
Edited: 3 Feb 2004 9:18PM GMT
Surnames: Amidei, Bevelo, Prestino, Enrico
My Amidei, Prestino and Bevelo's worked in the Coal Mines are they listed in that book Donna?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic