Search for content in message boards

William or E.J. Dunaway

William or E.J. Dunaway

Posted: 11 Jul 2005 3:13AM GMT
Classification: Query
My gggrandfather was W.C. Dunaway and E.J. was my great grandfather from Graves County KY.

Looking for relatives

Thanks for your help

Shirley

Re: William or E.J. Dunaway

William Dunaway (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jul 2005 2:16PM GMT
I can't contribute anything. None of my Dunaways are from Kentucky.

Tom Bruning (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 2005 1:12AM GMT
Do you have any information on the Dunaways of Rutherford Co, TN. Looking for the children of Samuel & Elizabeth Dunaway of Halifax Co, VA. I have Samuel (b. 1774), John (b. 1782), Thomas (b. 1787), and Frances (b. 1790). Are there others? I descend from Thomas.

Posted: 14 Jul 2005 1:38PM GMT
Edited: 18 Nov 2006 10:50PM GMT
Surnames: Dunaway, Vaughan, Shaw, Justice, Taylor, Odor
I have the children Samuel and Elizabeth as: Samuel, b. 6 Aug 1774, Halifax Co., VA; m. Nancy Shaw 4 Jan 1802, Halifax Co., VA; d. 7 Aug 1817, Murfreesboro, Rutherford Co., TN (this is my line through son, Thos H., b. 1812); John, b. 1782, Northumberland Co., VA, m. Sarah McKinley 1808, Halifax Co., VA, d. after 1856; Thomas, b. 1787, Northumberland Co. or Halifax Co., VA, m. Sarah Jackson about 1828, perhaps TN, died ? Rutherford Co., TN; Drury, b. about 17995; Frances, born about 1800, m. Enoch Tucker, Halifax Co., died Rutherford Co., TN.

Thomas and Sarah McKinley had a son, Daniel Jackon, b. 29 Jul 1829, TN, married Nancy Katherine Kellow and Frances Isabel Barr, d. 24 Feb 1903, Rutherford Co., TN

Daniel and Nancy Katherine Kellow had a son, Samuel, b. 25 Nov 1854, TN, m. Mary Johnson, d. 19 Mar 1925, Rutherford Co., TN

Samuel and Mary Johnson had two children: Robert Ernest, b. 17 Apr 1887, m. Anabel Vaughter about 1920, TN?, d. Aug 1975, Lebanon, TN. Carrie Belle, b. 24 FEb 1893, Rutherford Co., TN, m. William Anderson Bond, Dec 1917, d. 10 Jan 1976, Rutherford Co., TN. Carrie and William had a daughter, Robbye

William Dunaway (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 2005 7:11PM GMT
Re: William or E.J. Dunaway (reference 1) by Tom Bruning and (reference 2) same subject, by Carole Weimer:

Citing (reference 2), para 1, SAMUEL DUNAWAY, 1774 - 1817 is not buried in Murfreesboro, but in the 15th civil district of Rutherford County, his rural home site near Lascassas TN. Also, ENOCH TUCKER and wife FRANCES moved from Rutherford County TN to Gibson County TN. In (reference 2), paragraph 2, jOHN DUNAWAY OF Halifax County, VA, not THOMAS of 1787 married SARAH MCKINNEY ( rather than SARAH MCKINLEY ). THOMAS married SARAH ( SALLY ) JACKSON NELSON. As to other children of SAMUEL DUNAWAY (abt. 1750 - 1837) there was a second daughter. To quote from "Marriages of Halifax County VA, 1801 - 1831" by Chiarito and Pendergast, page 64,"19 Dec., 1810, DAVID HAYMES and SARAH DUNAWAY, daughter of SAMUEL DUNAWAY who consents. Sur. and witness, THOMAS PALMER".

Concerning ( reference 1 ). If you have data on SAMUEL DUNAWAY's (abt. 1750- 1837) wife ELIZABETH, please share it. She has eluded all her "searchers" for years and that key gap would be a mystery no longer, that is, if she indeed was the his wife. MAACHAH VAUGHAN is also a contender, but many think she is the mother of our Halifax County, Virginia SAMUEL. I tend to agree with the latter group but cannot complain if I am incorrect.

Posted: 15 Jul 2005 2:19PM GMT
Surnames: Dunaway, Vaughan, Shaw, Hill, Justice, Thomas, Weese, Kennon
My notes on Samuel's burial place are that he was buried at the Dunaway Chapel, Murfreesboro, Rutherford Co., TN, and that his wife, Nancy, family and slaves are buried there also. I have a photo and map of the cemetery which another Dunaway researcher sent to me. The map notes the names of several who are buried there. The cemetery was referenced as "Dunnaway Cemetery." Samuel may have died at Lascasses, his family home, a fairly safe assumption. That is not known to me. I do not have any information on Elizabeth Unknown, the cited mother of Samuel (1774). Should I get any hard information on that, I will share it.

Samuel Dunaway & wife Nancy ( Shaw ) Dunaway, Rutherford Co. TN

Posted: 15 Jul 2005 8:50PM GMT
Reply to CaroleWeimer's message of 15 July 2005
The building lot for Dunaway's Chapel was deeded to the Methodist Church, South by my Gr. Grandfather Drury Dunaway. The deed was dated 24 July, 1885. It was empty farm land prior to that. There was no burial ground there at that time. The road that passes both Drury's farm and the building lot was originally named "Lebanon Rd.". Only after 1885 was it named "Dunaway's Chapel Road". The Dunaway Cemetery is approx. 0.7 mi. South of the Chapel and is in a pasture approx. 100 yds. West of Dunaway's Chapel Road. The first burial therein was that of my gr. gr. grandfather Samuel Dunaway (1774 - 1817). The grave site is approx 50 yds East of the original dwelling. Drury's land was previously the Sam'l D. land. Nancy finalized the purchase 9 Mar., 1818. The Deed states it is "land whereon said relict and heirs now live". I mapped the cemetery in June 1957 b.c.(before computers). Four family members were interred there since. Your map copy may be the one my 1st cousin Jim Dunaway made in 1995.

Re: Samuel Dunaway & wife Nancy ( Shaw ) Dunaway, Rutherford Co. TN

Tom Bruning (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jul 2005 2:23AM GMT
Surnames: Dunaway
Thanks for the reply(s). I agree the (Samuel) Dunaway Cemetery is near Lascassas. I tried to visit it last summer. Could not see if from Dunaway Chapel Rd, but talked to one of the neighbors who said it is there and well maintained. Have since contacted the land owner through my aunt in Murfreesboro, but have yet to schedule a return visit. William, I would appreciate a map of the cemetery if possible. I have a listing by Bob Ragland, Nancy Morgan, and Margaret Batey in 1975 as recently published by the Rutherford Co Historical Society, Cemeteries and Graveyards of Rutherford Co, TN. The last burial listed was Herbert Wright in Dec. of 1957.
There is a cemetery at Dunaway Chapel (Methodist Church) further north, but the earliest burial is 1926 and without any Dunaways by name. There are some McKees and Lesters that may be related through descendants of Daniel Jackson Dunaway. Thanks for the history of the land deeded to the church.
There is another undocumented cemetery along Lascassas Rd that is on land still within the Dunaway family. It is said to be the burial site for Thomas & Sally (Jackson) Dunaway and their son Daniel Jackson & Frances (Barr) Dunaway, maybe others. Unfortunately the stones are down and broken. I don't know if anyone made a list of the cemetery before it came to disrepair.
Considering the children of Samuel (b. 1750) & Elizabeth (I have no support for Elizabeth either), I have seen references to John (b. 1782) & Drury (b. 1795?), but could not substantiate either. I was suspicious of John, if he was born in Northumberland Co, with Samuel, older, and Thomas, younger, both born in Halifax Co. I have also seen Drury as a sibling, but found no history of Drury or John in Rutherford Co. They may have stayed in VA as I assume Sarah (m. David Haymes 19 Dec, 1810). That is the first I have heard of Sarah. I also could not find Frances and Enoch Tucker who married in Halifax Co 09 Dec, 1805. Enoch Tucker is listed in the 1820 Rutherford Co census, but then disappears. I will now look in Gibson Co.
Carole, thanks for the information on Thomas & Sally (Jackson) Dunaway's children. I have fairly good information there and can provide this if you are interested. However I do not have much on the siblings of Thomas (b. 1787) or their descendents. For your branch, I have Samuel & Nancy (Shaw) Dunaway with children: Meacea (F) b. 1805; William M. b. 1807 marrying Nancy (Pearcy?); Thomas b. 1812 (in Davidson Co?) marrying first Catherine Harris Justice then Frances Johnson; and Drury b. 1814 marrying Candice Frances Patterson. Then I have questions whether the following are siblings: William C. b. 1781 NC; John b. 1816; and Williamson b. 1818 (after his father, Samuel's death?). I have names of 14 children for Thomas (b. 1812), but incomplete birth and death dates and to which wife. I have only one marriage, that of Elizabeth to James Monroe Periman on 27 Mar, 1866. Then the trail (my info) stops for your (?) Thomas.

Posted: 17 Jul 2005 4:11PM GMT
Surnames: Dunaway, Justice, Odor
Here's what I have on Thomas H. Dunaway: He was born 27 July 1812; his father died in 1817 when Thomas was 5 years old. His mother, Nancy Dunaway was appointed Administratrix (Rutherford Co., TN Co. Ct. Min. L/193); Jacob Jones made a deed to Nancy Dunaway, Micky Dunaway, William Dunaway, Thomas Dunaway, Williamson Dunaway and another baby expected to be born shortly, heirs of Samuel Dunaway, deceased. In 1832, the family came to Polk County, MO from Murfreesboro, TN, where Thomas bought an entire section of land for $1.50 an acre (per Hobarta Odor Watson). On 11 Dec 1835, he married Francis Johnson, by Richard Saye, JP, Polk Co., MO. In 1835, Thomas was awarded a land grant. In 1836, Annie was born in Polk Co., MO. (My information is that all of Thomas? children were born in Polk Co., MO). About 1837, Nancy Mildred was born. A son was born about 1839. In the1837 Bolivar Tax Book Thomas Dunnaway is listed next to John Dunnaway. Thomas had one horse valued at $35 and 3 cattle valued at $40. John had nine horses valued at $300 and 3 cattle valued at $40. Each household had 1 free male and neither owned slaves. About 1838, a daughter was born, and in about 1840 a son was born. In the 1840 Polk County, MO census, Thomas is listed #156; also, John Dunnaway #149 and A. J. Dunnavan #152 (prehaps a Dunnaway). About 1841, Permelia F. was born. On 21 Nov 1842, Elizabeth A. was born. In 1845, Maca A. was born. In about 1845, the family is said to have gone to Texas. A year or so later, Thomas returned to Polk Co., MO, a widower with most of his children also dead, all but two daughters. Information on this first family is that Nancy married Charles W. Pate, 22 Nov 1854, Polk Co., MO. Charles d. 1893, Johnson Co., AR. They had two children, Caroline, b. 10 June 1857 and William Lewis, b. 12 May 1858. Elizabeth A. Dunaway married James Monroe Perryman (Periman) 27 1866, Looney, Polk Co. MO. Elizabeth d. 15 Jan 1894, Mertens, Hill Co., TX. James, b. 21 Nov 1842, TN; d. 21 Sep 1828, Austin, Travis Co., TX. They had 10 children. (I have some birth/death dates for this family if you are interested.)

On the ?1st Saturday in May, 1847 (which might have been May 1, per a calendar of the time), Thomas married Catherine Harris Justice (my line), performed by Jonas J. Kirkpatrick, JP - Polk Co., MO, Bk. A, pg18. About 1848, John Isaac was born, and about 1849, Julia America was born. (She died about 1850) 1850 : Polk Co., MO census, household 638/638: Thomas P., age 37, farmer, born TN, Catherine, 19, born AR, Nancy M., age 13, born MO, Permelia F. age 8, born MO, Elizabeth, 7, born MO, Maca A., age 5, born MO, John, 2, male, born MO, Julia, age 1, female, born MO. On 8 Dec 1850, Hugh Harry Columbus was born. In 1852, Thomas was converted to God while walking alone in a grove near his house). He joined the Mt. Gilead Methodist Protestant Church in 1852 and in March, 1857, became a minister licensed to exhort, in addition to his farming. (from obituary) (The fact of Thomas becoming a minister has been mentioned in two books; the title of one may be Annals of Methodism in Missouri,1000 Preachers 1806-1884 by W. S. Woodard, 1893, LDS call no. A 25.5 2 LDS; title of second book lost, Book 20:253 at LDS Library.) In about1854, son, George Washington was born. (He died before 1860). On 1 Sep 1856, Catherine (Katy) was born. On 18 Mar 1857, Elijah Alphred was born. On 28 Feb 1859, Lucinda Orlena was born. 1860 : Polk County, MO, Marion Twp #194: Thomas Dunaway, age 41, born TN, farmer, $4000/1500; Catherin, age 29, born AR; Permelia F., age 18, born MO; Maca, age 15, born MO; John, age 11, born MO; Hugh H., age 9, born MO; Elijah, age 3, born MO; Lucinda, age 1, born MO. On 10 May 1863, daughter, Rebecca Salina was born (my great grandmother). On 2 Sep 1865, Alice Josephine (called Jo) was born. In about 1867, Susannah V. was born. On 3 Jan 1868, Margaret Emmaline (called Em) was born. In about 1869, a daughter was born, and in January 1870, Dolly was born. 1870 Polk Co., MO census, Humansville, enumerated 12 Aug, 260/259: Thos., age 58, farmer, real property $3500, personal property $1030, born TN, Catharine, age 39, keeping house, born AR, cannot read or write, John J., age 22, born MO, Hugh H., age 19, born MO, Elijah A., age 12, born MO, Lucinda, age 10, born MO, Becca, age 7, born MO, Alice J., age 5, born MO, Margaret, age 2, born MO, Dolly, age 6 mos., born MO, born in Jan. ON 16 Oct 1873, Jesse Herman was born. Lastly, an unnamed child was born in about 1875. (This means that Thomas was fathering children into his 60?s). 1880 : Polk Co., MO census, Marion Twp, 319/334: Thomas, age 67, married, farmer, crippled, born TN, parents born VA, Catherine H., age 49, wife, born AR, parents born SC, Lucinda O., age 21, daughter, single, born MO, Lena R., age 16, daughter, single, at home, born MO, Josephine, age 14, daughter, single, at home, born MO, Margaret E., age 12, daughter, single, at home, born MO, Susanna V., age 10, daughter, single, at home, born MO, Jesse H., son, single, at home (no age recorded) (living next door Hugh H. Dunaway) On 25 July 1887, Thomas died. (I have marriage and death information for this family if you are interested)

Thomas was a farmer, but also taught school for a time. He is said to have been a charter member of Bolivar, Polk Co., MO Masonic Lodge, but from recent correspondence this has not been verified.
Obituary: Thomas Dunnaway. Died, at his residence, four miles northeast of Bolivar, July 25th, 1887. Thomas Dunnaway, in the 75th year of his age, leaving a wife and eleven children to mourn his loss. He was born in Rutherford county, Tenn, July 27th 1812; came to Missouri in 1832; was married to Frances Johnson in 1835, by whom he had nine children of whom only two daughters survive, and are living in Texas. In 1847 he was married to Catherine Justice, by whom he had fifteen children, nine of whom are living and were with him in his dying hour, doing all they could to alleviate his sufferings and ministering to his every want. He was converted to God while walking alone in the grove near his house in 1837, and joined the Methodist Protestant Church under the preaching of Rev. Louis Pate in 1852, at Mt. Gilead Church, and was licensed to exhort in March, 1857. He had been in failing health for the last five years. The last three months he suffered severely with neuralgia of the stomach and congestion of the lungs of which he died. His death was triumphant and happy. He bade each member of the family good-bye admonishing them to live so that they might meet him in Heaven. He was buried in the family burying ground attended by a large concourse of friends and neighbors. Rev. Alexander Boug conducting the services. Deceased was a loving, faithful husband, a kind father, a staunch friend, who was always ready to help the needy, and who gave freely to the support of the gospel. In his death Polk county has lost one of its oldest and best citizens. Farewell, Father, deep and lowly, Rest thee on thy bed of clay; Kindred spirits, angels holy Bore they heavenward soul away. Sad we gave thee to the number Lowered in yonder icy halls, And above they peaceful slumber Many a shower of sorrow falls.(Bolivar Free Press, 28 July 1887)

Will of Thomas Dunnaway. Knowing the uncertainty of life and the certainty of death and being of sound mind and disposing memory, I, Thomas Dunnaway of Polk County & State of Missouri being seventy-three years of age do make and publish this my last will and testament. 1st I desire that all of my just debts & burial expenses be paid. 2nd I will & bequeath to my beloved wife all of my property both real and personal of whatever kind whether in possession, reversion or remainder, to have and to hold for & during her natural life for her support & for the purpose of support and maintenance of her and her children so long as (they) survive. I further will & direct that should it become necessary for their support, my said wife Catharine E. Dunnaway sell & dispose of any or a part of said property for the support of herself & family that in selling the land that she shall first sell that part of the farm East of the (orchards----) Creek & she is hereby empowered to make as she may sell for such purposes. 3rd If my said wife, Catharine H. Dunnaway should die leaving any property I here bequeath to her or the proceeds thereof, such remainder I do will & desire shall be sold for the best available price & that the proceeds be divided among my children and heirs as follows: That my sons: John I. N. Dunnaway receive one dollar, Hugh H. Dunnaway receive one dollar, Mat Elizabeth A. Perryman (my daughter) receive one dollar & my other daughter Maca A. receive one dollar & my son Elijah A. Dunnaway receive one dollar after which I desire that my children Jess H. Dunnaway, Lucinda O. Dunnaway, Salina R. Dunnaway, Alice J. Dunnaway, Margaret E. Dunnaway and Susannah N. Dunnaway each receive two hundred dollars & that the children & heirs of my daughter Nancy M. Pate (now dead) receive one hundred and seventy dollars to be divided among them as I gave to my said daughter Nancy M. thirty dollars in her lifetime, should there be enough left to make this division. If not that such remainder be given to them in this proportion. Should there be any left after the payment of the foregoing legacies, I will & bequeath that it be so divided among my said children & the heirs of Nancy M. Pate regarded as (?) that all shall share equally except my two daughters Meac A. and Elizabeth who shall each receive one dollar for every five dollars received by one of the others from the last remainder and having thus disposed of all my property I do make & publish this my last will & testament. This being closesed (?) on the fourth page thereof. Thomas Dunnaway We attest the above and foregoing will by subscribing our names hereto as witnesses in the presence of Thomas Dunnaway the testator this 15th day of April 1886. Jno W. Ross of Bolivar, MO, P. C. Roberts

Posted: 17 Jul 2005 4:23PM GMT
Surnames: Dunaway, Justice, Odor
Thanks for all you sent, Tom. We are planning a trip east next year and would like to visit the Dunaway family site. Can you give me more information on the cemeteries and home sites you discussed? I do not have information on Enoch and Frances Tucker, but would be interested in knowing more, and any help you can offer on the family of Thomas and Sally Jackson Dunaway would be very appreciated. We will be away for a week, but would like to resume our exchange when we get back. Thanks again for your help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic