Search for content in message boards

Owen family plot - MD

Owen family plot - MD

Posted: 12 Dec 2008 6:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Owen
I am documenting a family burial plot in Olney, MD on the border of Rockville, MD. Will post these on findagrave.com ASAP. Here are some of the grave inscriptions found in the plot:

Col. Washington Owen, died June 18, 1846, aged 69
R(uth) Owen, Died Jan 22, 1848, aged 74
Washington W. Owen, born Nov 30, 1813. Died 11 Apr 1894.
Angelina G. wife of W.W. Owen. Died 19 Feb 1852, aged 37.
Mary S., wife of W.W. Owen. Died 7 Dec 1894, aged 87.

Let me know if you're interested.

Re: Owen family plot - MD

Posted: 1 Apr 2009 11:36PM GMT
I am interested in an Owen married to John Adamson born in the mid 1700's.
Charlotte

Posted: 27 Apr 2009 1:13PM GMT
Surnames: Owen
Hello,
I have posted the info I have on findagrave.com. There you can look up "Owen Family Cemetery" in Olney, Montgomery Cty., MD. I transcribed the headstones as I found them. I have no other info except what was on the headstones.

Good luck!

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 2:56AM GMT
Charlotte:

Child of Robert owen and Keziah Harding: +Ann Owen, [It is believed, have limited primary source, that John Adamson m.1 this 'Miss Owen' and their first daughter was named Elizabeth, in honor of her grandmothers; Owen was her middle name. This daughter, Elizabeth Owen Adamson, married William Prather; and, her first daughter was named Ann... after Ann died as a young adult, her mother birthed her last daughter; she was named: Nancy. John Adamson, m2. Sally Boyd].

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 3:57AM GMT
I am grateful that you wish to post to 'find-a-grave'.

By this time... someone has posted; and, a description of that particular 'Owen Family Cemetery" is found by clicking on the cemetery link. The first sentence descibing the location is true. The remainder of the text following, however, is NOT TRUE. It Smacks of 'family LORE'. Rev. Robert Owen b.~1672, d. 1714 was a Welshman, schooled in the Anglican schools of London England and sent to P.G. County, Maryland in 1699. [He was NOT a Scott/Presbyterian]. Maryland land records clearly show all his land dealings. He died on mortgaged land; His probate in 1714 shows his estate was worth 85 pounds... his debits were ~115 pounds. There is a record only that this man had a wife 'Mary'. There is NO RECORD of any issue. This man was located about 25 miles S.S.E. of Olney, MD.

Also: Per Maryland land records: 490 Acres of 'Contentment' was pattened in 1766 by a Robert Owen... a man two generations later; the son of an Edward Owen. This same Robert was Washington Owen's father. After many land purchases and sales, Robert Owen's 1779 will divides the owned land; primarily with Robert's eldest son Edward and Robert's second wife, Mary, and with Robert's youngest child, Washington, who was two years old when his father passed away.

Washington's family did retain his property for some 50 years after his death... His 1/2 brother, Edward's family all sold-out and left Maryland by ~1855.

If you want records, please ask... if you can correct find-a-grave page, please do so.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions