Search for content in message boards

Fergus Falls State Hospital Cemetery

Fergus Falls State Hospital Cemetery

Posted: 15 Jul 2012 1:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone know if there are ANY headstones there? I'm guessing they are mostly unmarked graves(like Faribault State Hospital cemetery). I'm not having a lot of luck with the Historical Society nor the MN Dept of Health in locating a particular gravesite (so far). Thanks.

Re: Fergus Falls State Hospital Cemetery

Posted: 6 Aug 2012 5:04AM GMT
OK, well, I found the cemetery. It was sitting in the middle of a hay field, and there were some headstones, maybe 20-30 out of 300, the rest of the plots were unmarked.

Posted: 15 Jan 2013 8:05PM GMT
not all patience where buried in the hospital cemetery.
Might check where other family members are buried. That's where I found mine. Good Luck

Posted: 1 Feb 2013 4:30PM GMT
I have a Great, Great Grandfather buried in the cemetery. I was able to find the location of his grave (unmarked) from a list in the Minnesota Historical Society. I would be happy to check for your ancestor.

Are you aware that there is a program giving headstones to the persons buried there (and in the other State Hospital Cemeteries). It is called "Remembering With Dignity".

Please email me directly at: frojen@umn.edu if you have any questions or would like me to check at the Historical Society the next time I go.

Sandy

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 12:21AM GMT
Thanks Sandy,

I have already located the gravesite location (via the data at the Historical Society)and will be placing a headstone there for my uncle this summer.

I tried to contact the "Remembering With Dignity" group, but there were absolutely terrible about getting back to me. It was very frustrating, so I quit dealing with them. Also, their memorial markers have no religious markings on them. I realize they are unable to determine one's religion, but I will not wait around for them to put in a marker without a cross. Those type of memorials just become a quantity of letters set in stone minus the dignity of God.

Thank you for your reply.

Posted: 4 Feb 2013 12:42PM GMT
Thanks for your reply. I hadn't thought about the religious markings. My Great, Great Grandfather was a minister. I too have had trouble getting call backs from Remembering With Dignity.

How did you locate the location of your uncle's grave at the cemetery site? I have D.A. Randall's grave on paper located at Section 28, Grave 13 in Cemetery 1. He was the 391 burial. Are there numbering markers? I'm waiting for spring to make the trip to Fergus Falls, but at this point have no idea how I will be able to locate the exact location of the grave.

Thanks for any help!

Sandy

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 5:42PM GMT
No there are no numbered markers. I had to request the burial grid at the Minnesota Historical society and then pour over it to find my uncle's name (it was broken down by year, so not too difficult). I also made a point to note some of the people buried around him. With uncanny luck, the row he's in actually had some headstones set for the very names I listed. I was able to pinpoint his gravesite (within a foot or two) that way. By the time I get his headstone set it MAY be one of the most completed rows in the cemetery.

I actually made a photocopy of part of the burial grid. It's a four sheet composite it's so big. However, it's of Cemetery 2, which doesn't help you. The three cemeteries are side by side, and it's basically a mown grass meadow with a few standing headstones, a bird bath/feeder type object, a scattering of flat memorial stones, a cross and a flag on a flag pole (which makes it easier to see the cemetery at a distance). It's a little difficult to find the place. If we want directions I'll email them to you directly.

You may want to try to make a copy of that cemetery grid and see if there are other markers nearby to help you find your great-great-grandfather. Do you live near St Paul and the MN Historical Society? Otherwise, maybe Otter Tail County Historical Society has access to the same map.

Do you plan to take a tour of the abandoned Kirkbride hospital building? It's very interesting. They're trying to find a buyer for the main building and the whole hospital, if not, it'll be torn down. Most unfortunate if that happens.

Posted: 7 Feb 2013 11:45PM GMT
Thanks for the info. I have been to the Minnesota Historical Society library and have looked at the large folder containing the burial grids. Slight glitch in that the one is labeled "Cemetery 1" but is actually 1 of 2 of "Cemetery 2". I've worked that out after initially finding someone else buried where my GGGrandpa should have been. They have no grid of the true Cemetery 1 but I have reconstructed one from the list of burials and once the snow clears will try and go about finding the location of the grave as you did with known existing markers as reference points.

I have been in contact with the Otter Tail County Historical Society. I learned they are tentatively planning a trip to the cemetery on June 21st. I have not yet toured the facility. Each time I have been in the area on a Friday, the tours were fully booked. It is a beautiful building. We did have a picnic on the grounds last summer and I found the cemetery, or at least I was in sight of it. Long walk down a muddy path that I didn't think the minivan could handle. We got to the other side of the trees and I could see the big white cross and flag off in the distance.

Again, thanks for the help.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic