Search for content in message boards

Mary LENKO, Andrew LENKO - Austria to NY

Mary LENKO, Andrew LENKO - Austria to NY

Posted: 14 Jan 2003 3:31AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: LENKO, GULA

Mary and Andrew LENKO came from Austria to NY, probably around the very early 1900's. They were brother and sister. Mary was probably in her late teens. Mary ended up in Pennsylvania married to a John GULA. Their child is Helen GULA.

I found a 1910 census listing Andrew Lenko, immigrating in 1907, from Ruthenian Austria, residing in Lackawanna, Dunmore, PA, age 24.

Re: Mary LENKO, Andrew LENKO - Austria to NY

Posted: 14 Jan 2003 12:36PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jul 2003 4:11AM GMT
There was an Andryj LENKO that came thru Ellis Island port in 1907 and yes he has that he is Ruthenian from a town named Zubensko.

You need to locate a name of a town for your ancestors in order to proceed with the research. Being Ruthenian would be (Rusnak-Byzantine Catholic) and thus your reseach might take you to Ukraine, Poland or Slovak Republic.

The name LENKO and GULA does list in some numbers in Slovak Republic's phone book which is not to imply that that is where you look. You need that name of a village to research.

The LDS-Mormons have filmed the church records so when you do have a village, check out their website for the films which you can order for a small fee and gather ancestral information.

Mary would have been Maria
Andrew could have been Andras/Andreas, Andrej, Andry, Andrzyj and not the names that you have when they passed thru EI.

Yvonne (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jan 2003 12:28AM GMT
Surnames: LENKO

Wow! THANK YOU for all that information. Until yesterday, all I knew is my g-grandmother was from Austria. No details. This is very interesting. Again THANKS !!!

Yvonne

Posted: 15 Jan 2003 3:46AM GMT
Edited: 8 Jul 2003 4:11AM GMT
Your welcome.

Check in church records, census, naturalization petition or social security index. Anyplace that they might put a name of a town. Without that name, you can not go far. There is a possibility that they came from Galicia region which you might need to post on Poland and/or Ukraine boards.

Austria-Hungary it was at the time your ancestors came to America. After the fall of this empire several new countries were formed and one was Czechoslovakia which in 1993 separated into Czech Republic and Slovak Republic.
Do you know what language they spoke or church attended?

If they do not show up on Ellis Island website than they might have passed thru Baltimore, Philadelphia, Boston or Galveston.

Check out the spelling LENYKO, LANYKO and LONYKO on the Ellis Island. They all could be Lenko.

Lenko, Gula in SK

zlatica beca (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jan 2003 4:06PM GMT
Just some more websites:

www.hosmanek.com/slovak
www.our-slovakia.com
www.village.sk
www.iarelative.com
www.slovakfolkcrafts.com
www.slovakinstitute.com
http://pages.prodigy.net/daniel.kisha/_wsn/page3.html
http://rdsa.tripod.com/cerkwood2.html
http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/CensusMain.htm
http://www.bmi.net/jjaso
http://www.cafeshops.com/slovaktees
http://mapy.atlas.sk

Do post on Slovakia Genforum and Ancestry board.

This Peter GULA from Krajna Bystra was going to Passaic, NY to a friend Peter Tokarik. The name GULA lists in Krajna Bystra's phone book.

Gula name lists in Landsford, PA/ Coaldalle, PA but this Gula are from Nitra county from Velke Kostolany.

LENKO, GULA

Yvonne Steiner (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jan 2003 6:44PM GMT
WOW, thanks so much on all those links. That's incredible :) You really are a gem!
Yvonne

Re: LENKO, GULA

olga Lenko Aplin (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jan 2004 5:51PM GMT
Classification: Immigration
Surnames: Lenko, Daniel Ivanovich
Lenko, is my father's last name. His christian name is Daniel & Ivanovich is his patronomic. he was born Apr 28 or 29, 1897 in village of Verniaky, Ternopilska oblast. Western Ukraine(then Poland)in 1920, married my mother, Maria Repeta, born Aug, 1903 in village of Chernihivczi, Ternopilska oblast Western Ukraine(then Poland).In 1926 my father went to the USA to work. He settled for a while in Connellesville, PA where both his older sisters, Olga and Mary settled prior to my father's arrival. He worked in NYC, Chicago and in Cleveland where he had a relative, Steve Lenko who later owned a tavern in this city. Originally I went on this site, because I was looking for myfather's younger brother Hrits, who went to war(presumably WW1) in
Western Ukraine and never returned. The military of the time did not have information as to his disappearance, presuming that he died in action. I have no other info on this brother, except that his disappearance caused much grief for the family. Back to my father, Daniel, he returned to his home village in l931 to my mother and in
l935 they, with my siblings and me, sailed on the SS Kostuishko to Canada. We lived in Montreal for 1 year, then settled on a small farm
in Quebec, Ste. Sophie till 1939 and moved back to Montreal for another 10 years and in 1949 moved to Toronto. There is a lot more to this story, but will end here. If anyone is related to us, would appreciate hearing from you. I never heard anyone by Gula Lenko, but none in my
family who is now alive can enlighten me as to Gula. But who knows,
we may be connected somehow. Olga Lenko Aplin

Re: Mary LENKO, John GULA

Yvonne Steiner (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jan 2004 6:08PM GMT
Hi Olga,
Thank you very much for your reply. I am going to keep the information you sent me in my files for future reference; we may get lucky and one day make a connection. It was very interesting!

My great-grandmother's name is Mary (Maria) LENKO. She was born March 15, 1876, and claimed to be from Vienna, Austria. The 1910 Census says she & her parents were born in Austria and she was Slovak. I know very little of Slovakian presence in Austria. It also says she immigrated in 1907 with her brother Andrew, but I cannot find her on Ellis Island records. They must have spelled the name wrong.

After being in America, she married John GULA, who I believe was also born in Austria & was Slovak.

Do you know anything of the history of the LENKO family? I'd love to hear anything you can share.

Thanks again,
Yvonne
SahgolTchelet@aol.com

Posted: 18 Jan 2004 6:26PM GMT
Edited: 13 Nov 2006 3:35PM GMT
Yvonne,

Few more websites :
www.rat.de/kuijsten/navigator
www.pikpuk.com
http://vivisimo.com
www.slovaklinks.com

To locate an Ellis Island manifest in One Step :
www.stevemorse.org

Andrew in English, Andras in Magyar , Andrej/Ondrej in Slovak.

Yvonne (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jan 2004 7:47PM GMT
Hi Zlatica,

As you can see, I'm still stumped!!! Been all over Ellis Island, and still can't find her, but I'm going to try to websites you suggested today. Thank you so much for your continued support {smile} !!!

Yvonne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic