Search for content in message boards

Early Settlers 1750 - 1800

Early Settlers 1750 - 1800

Dick Stewart (View posts)
Posted: 15 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Stewart, Buffington, McLure, Boyd, McDonald
Newberry searchers with trees containing persons from these families in colonial /post colonial era. Seeking ancestors / descendants of Joseph and Mary Stewart. Son Samuel born 1780 m. Sarah Buffington about 1800. Three of his sisters married into the other familieslisted. Post reply or e-mail to puttpl@earthlink.net

JOSEPH STEWART

Mary Meyer (View posts)
Posted: 18 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: STEWART, BOYD

I would like to know if your Joseph Stewart and mine are the same person. I descend from Robert Boyd b early 1760's whose wife Rosannah b early 1770's was the daughter of Joseph Stewart. Robert's and Rosannah's daughter Jane BOYD married my ancestor Samuel Abernathy in 1820 in Newberry Co. SC. Samuel's and Jane's son James William Thomas Abernathy b 1833 married Frances Joanna Creed in 1853 in Chambers Co. AL. Frances was the daughter of Susanna McDonald who married Meshack C. Creed in 1831 in Surry Co. NC. Do we connect?
Mary Abernathy Meyer

JOESPH STEWART and Rosanna

Mary Meyer (View posts)
Posted: 19 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: STEWART, PRESTON, STUART, COBURN, ROBBINS

Thanks, Dick. I need your help to sort out the several people named Joseph Stewart. The DAR Patriot Index lists 5 men named Joseph Stewart:
1) b June 23, 1755 d April 8, 1823 (m Anne Preston), a Pvt. from CT
2) b Feb. 11, 1762 d p [after?] 1837 (m Elizabeth), a Pvt. from CT
3) b 1759 d Aug. 19, 1842 (m Lydia Stuart), a Pvt from CT
4) b 1757 d May 5, 1811 (m Beatrix Coburn), a Pvt from MA
5) Jr. b May 13, 1746 d Jan. 14, 1813 (m Ann Robbins), Pvt from NJ

Re #2 above: Ancestral File has a Joseph Stewart b 1762 NC whose father was Charles Stewart; can someone confirm or deny that he was the same person as #2?

According to IGI, a man named Joseph Stewart, apparently a Quaker, had a wife Rosanna and a daughter Rosanna. The daughter Rosanna was b July 1, 1782 in Rensselaer Co., New York (located in the eastern part of the state near the state lines of MA and VT). I would like to know if the latter Rosanna Stewart is the Rosanna Stewart who married my ancestor Robert Boyd. A submitter to Ancestral File said the birthdate of Mrs. Robert Boyd (Rosannah Stewart) was about 1783 and that she was b in Newberry Co. SC. According to DICTIONARY OF SCOTTISH EMIGRANTS TO USA by Donald Whyte 1981, a man named Joseph Stewart (son of Alexander Stewart) emigrated to Mohawk Valley, N.Y. (the year "ca 1786" is mentioned); Whyte cites STEWART CLAN MAGAZINE (ed. George Edson) xxviii/12. Does anyone have access to this periodical?

According to Ancestral File, a Joseph Stewart b 1725 NC was the son of Samuel Stewart. Another Joseph Stewart b 1770 NC was the son of Joseph Stewart. Recapitulating, if this is the same line, it would be Samuel Stewart had a son Joseph Stewart b 1725 who had a son Joseph Stewart who had a son Joseph Stewart b 1770, right? Another Samuel Stewart had a son Joseph Stewart b 1816. None of the 5 men named Joseph Stewart in the DAR Patriot Index were listed as being from NC; however, a Joseph Stewart from NC served as a Lieutenant in the 9th North Carolina, beginning Nov. 29, 1776. I do have further into. about the Joseph Stewart (son of Samuel Stewart) b 1725 and his son Joseph Stewart b 1770. Samuel Stewart (son of Samuel Stewart and Lydia Hampton) was b in 1700 in Scotland; he married Lydia Harrison (b 1699) in 1720 and died in 1770 in NC (Rowen, Farsythe). The Joseph Stewart who was the son of Samuel Stewart and Lydia Harrison was b 1725 and married Sarah Gilbert (daughter of William and Lucy Conway Gilbert) about 1775. (This Joseph Stewart, husband of Sarah Gilbert, died in Overton Co. TN.) Their son Joseph Stewart b Sept. 1770 married Sarah Copeland and they lived in Yadkin Co. NC (according to Ancestral File submitters). Can someone confirm of deny a connection between the Joseph Stewart line of Yadkin Co. NC and the Joseph Stewart line of Newberry Co. SC? My ancestor Robert Boyd had a daughter Jane who married Samuel Abernathy in 1820 in Newberry Co. SC. Their son James William Thomas Abernathy married Frances Joanna Creed whose father Meshack C. Creed was b in 1809 in Surry Co. NC. (Mechask's father Bennett Creed, Jr. is buried in Surry Co. NC but was b in 1779 in Orange Co. VA.) Meshack's wife was Susanna McDonald, daughter of James Alexander McDonald b 1776 NC. McDonald and Boyd were among the surnames listed by Dick in his query (to which I am replying) regarding Joseph Stewart's probate proceedings.

Ancestral File lists a Joseph Stewart b about 1744 in Newberry Co. SC. Is he the one who was the father-in-law of my Robert Boyd, whose probate proceedings you detailed?

THANKS for into. and insights.
Mary Abernathy Meyer

JOSEPH STEWART

Dick Stewart (View posts)
Posted: 19 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: STEWART, BUFFINGTON, BOYD, McLURE, McDONALD
Mary, the Estate records of Newberry, Box 18 pckg. 12, lists Esther Stewart, Mary Stewart (widow), Samuel Stewart and; Robert Boyd, Samuel McLure and George McDonald as heirs of Joseph Stewart, Estate in Probate Mar 1808. I can only assume that these are son-in-laws and the distribution was in the customs of the times and made in 1812. The Adm. of the Estate was a John Stewart likely an Uncle, not a son. Thus, we are talking about the same family even though the absence of brothers for Samuel is troubling. Starting with [My]Samuel and Sarah,we note 9 living sons and that prolificness continued for two more generations.

Robert Boyd in Newberry

Cara Murray (View posts)
Posted: 1 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: BOYD
I am searching for information on a Robert Boyd listed on the 1800 Newberry District census record, pg. 68. He was listed with 2 males under 10, 1 male 10-16, 1 male 26-45 (this would be Robert)and 1 female 26-45. I have a Robert L. Boyd, b. abt 1803 in SC whose father was possibly also a Robert Boyd. My Robert L. Boyd was in Alabama 1830-1870. Thanks for your help.

Re: JOESPH STEWART and Rosanna

Posted: 17 Oct 2005 9:50AM GMT
Surnames: Boyd, Law, Glasgow, Toland
Is your Robert Boyd perchance the same Robert Boyd who is buried in Gilder's Creek Cemetery?

I believe Robert Boyd must have been related to James, Hugh, and John (sons of Hugh Boyd, Sr.). I am trying to establish the identity of all the Boyds who are buried in that cemetery.

To view those who are buried in the cemetery, see an inventory taken in 1993 at:
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/sc/newberry/cemeteries/...
On this inventory, Gilder's Creek cemetery is referred to as "The Law Family Cemetery."

I understand there are buried stones in the cemetery, so if a person is not listed, it doesn't mean that person is not buried there. I would like to hear from anyone who knows of others buried there who are not listed. For example, Jeremiah Dial, Revolutionary War Patriot, is buried there, but his stone is not listed. I have also read one reference to a John Boyd, Revolutionary War Veteran, being buried there, but his stone is not listed.

Robert Boyd and Archibald Boyd , age 25, are listed, but their dates are not given. Elizabeth Boyd, who died in 1823 at age 25 yrs. is buried there beside John Toland and his wife, Mary Boyd Toland.

I would like to hear from anyone who can give additional information about Gilder's Creek Cemetery.

I am a descendant of the many Glasgows buried there.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic