Search for content in message boards

1850 Census Anderson County SC - White Family

1850 Census Anderson County SC - White Family

Posted: 6 Jun 2014 6:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: White
Genealogy Brick wall help needed!----
I have a Census record that I am pretty sure is for my 3rd Great Grandfather in Anderson South Carolina - 1850. This is my genealogy brick wall! I know this is a long shot........but, does anyone else claim this census record? My 3rd great grandfather is John M White born in Andrerson SC abt 1846 I have this info from his pension application. He moved to Cherokee County Georgia by 1859. I have solid record of him in Georgia, but I know nothing about his parents or siblings. His death certificate states that his Father is unknown and that his Mother is Rebecca Griffin. I cannot confirm his mother or find a father! The Census that is a puzzle to me is ------
Name: John M White
Birth Year: abt 1846
Birthplace: South Carolina
Home in 1850: Eastern Subdivision, Anderson, South Carolina
Family Number: 701
Household Members:
Name Age
Sarah White 55
Adaline White 27
Rebecca White 25
Sarah White 19
William White 10
Margaret White 8
John M White 4
Jackson White 3
James White 1
Mary J White 0
Mary White 0
Sarah White 0

My thoughts on this census, for lack of any better evidence-- -- Rebecca White (mother of John M) age 25 and John M age 4 living with a Sarah White (Rebecca's mother in law?) age 55 in Anderson SC, along with an Adaline White (another daughter in law?) age 27 a Sarah White age (daughter OR another daughter in law) 19 , William 10, Margaret 8, Jackson 3, James 1, Mary J less that one and twins Mary and Sarah less than one.

I do have a 1840 Census for Sarah White, head of household with other members that match these same individuals (10 years earlier) and include 2 males that could have been spouses of Rebecca and Adaline, of course the 1840 census does not include names so it is not a lot of help!

I do not find John or Rebecca at all in 1860 -- I wonder if they missed the census during the move to Georgia?

In 1870 Rebecca White and a new son (Henry J White) (still no husband/father) are living beside John and his family in Cherokee County, GA.

Any hints, tips, thoughts or suggestions are welcome!
Thanks in Advance!

Re: 1850 Census Anderson County SC - White Family

Posted: 30 Jul 2014 6:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have done quite a bit of research in an adjacent county in Georgia. There are several families in this Georgia county with unwed mothers during this same time frame.

Sometimes, the death certificates for the children who were born out of wedlock will state the mother's given name and list the biological father's last name as surname. I guess it was an attempt to hide their illegitimacy?

So you might want to consider that your John White is the son of Rebecca White and an unknown Mr. Griffin.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic