Search for content in message boards

Samuel Gray

Samuel Gray

Ann Jaber (View posts)
Posted: 26 Oct 2001 6:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: gray
Looking for any info on Samuel Gray b. ca 1810 in New Jersey; m. a Lydia or Phoebe possible last name Cook. He lived in New Jersey and then last known to be in Knox Co., ILL. His children were: George I., Mary, Isaac S., Mahlon Force, Elizabeth Ann, Charles, John Cook, Sarah, Isabella, and Huldah.

Re: Samuel Gray

Posted: 28 Oct 2001 1:58AM GMT
Edited: 6 Apr 2002 2:58PM GMT
Ann, I probably don't have any more info than you do but I am a descendant of Isabella Gray. I haven't spent a lot of time on the Gray line but according to my grandmother's handwritten scrapbook, I believe that Samuel and Phoebe were married on Dec. 29, 1832 in Hackettstown, Warren County, New Jersey. I did not have any idea what Phoebe's last name might be though. If you would like, email me direct and I can send you what research I've done and the conclusions that I have made.

Posted: 28 Oct 2001 2:10AM GMT
Edited: 6 Apr 2002 2:58PM GMT
Sorry, my email is randykar@ipa.net. I just copied and pasted what I have on Samuel and Phoebe below:

In 1830, many Gray families resided within the Independence township of Warren county, New Jersey. The following are the first names of the Gray heads of households: Joseph Sr, Dr. William, Joseph, Isaac, Richard, Mahlon, and Thomas. Since Samuel's date of birth was Nov. 15, 1810, Samuel would have been 19 years old at census time. This would place Samuel in the "15 and under 20" age group.

In the Dr. William Gray household resided one male in the "15 to 20" age group and one in the "50 and under 60" age group. There were three females; one in "10 and under 15", one in "15 and under 20", and one in "40 and under 50". The one male that was in the right age group could have been Samuel, living at home. Dr. William Gray would have been the right age to have been the brother of Joseph Gray, Sr.

Another possibility was the household of Joseph Gray, Jr. Listed is one male "under 5", one male "5 and under 10", and two males in the "15 and under 20" group. There is only one female listed, "40 and under 50". It appears as if Joseph Gray, Jr's wife had died (maybe during childbirth), and his deceased wife's mother was living with them taking care of the children. But why were there two males in the 15 to 20 age group and no other older males? Maybe Samuel was a sibling of Joseph, Jr and was helping him on the farm. More research is needed in this timeframe.

Samuel Gray was first located as a head of a household on the 1840 Census of Independence township, Warren County, New Jersey. The census indicated the household comprised two boys "less than 5 years" old (George and Isaac), one male "between 30 and 40" (Samuel), one girl "under 5" years old (Mary), one girl "between 5 and 10" years old (Margarett), and one female "between 20 and 30" years of age (Phoebe).

In 1850, Samuel and Phoebe were still in Warren county, residing in Amwell, in the Independence township. The census listed George, Mary, Isaac, Mahlon, Elizabeth, Charles, and John as the children with them. Samuel's occupation is a laborer. In 1870, Phoebe is in Victoria township, Knox county, Illinois living as a widower. She has John, Hulda, and Isabella living with her.

john chemchick (View posts)
Posted: 17 Mar 2002 3:52PM GMT
could that have been Hildred and not Huldal?my mother
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions