Search for content in message boards

Tidgewell-McCullough-Marriage1876

Tidgewell-McCullough-Marriage1876

Posted: 2 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Edited: 27 Jun 2001 4:10AM GMT
Surnames: Tidgewell, McCollough, Dry
This short announcement appeared in the "Racine Advocate" dated April 15, 1876---Racine County, Racine Wisconsin.

MARRIED--TIDGEWELL-MCCULLOGH
In Caledonia on Thursday, March 30, 1876 at the residence of the bride's father, by the Rev. T.H. Dry. Mr.Johm W.Tidgewell of Dover, and Miss Margaret McCullough of Caledonia.

Re: Tidgewell-McCullough-Marriage1876

Gene Tidgewell (View posts)
Posted: 29 Sep 2001 7:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
do you have any information on the tidgewells. my relatives came from the sheffield area of england in the 1830s and settles in conn. i would imagein as this is not a very common name that there is some link

thank you
gene tidgewell

Posted: 6 Oct 2001 1:07AM GMT
Gene ~

I caught your question regarding the heritage of the Racine County, WI Tidgewell family. According to "The Grassroots History of Racine Co." (c. 1978 Racine County Heritage Museum Library), the eldest branch of the Tidgewell family in Racine was a couple named David Tidgwell (no "e") and his wife Mary Sugden Riley Tidgwell. Their son, John, arrived first in the U.S. -- in 1843 -- from their hometown of Little Horton Green, a suburb of Bradford, Yorkshire, England. He stopped first in New Orleans, then "walked to St. Louis." In 1845 he invited his parents to come to America. They were all in Burlington, Racine Co., WI within the next couple of years.

Best,
Kathe C.

Posted: 7 Oct 2001 3:22PM GMT
thank you very much for the information
i have forwarded this to my aunt who knows alot about our family. i believe we also came from the same area

Posted: 2 Aug 2012 5:00PM GMT
I realise this is an old post. Margaret McCullough's mother Anne johnston was my 3x great Aunt. However i am searching for any information regarding Margaret or Maggie as she was known and John's children John W and Elizabeth Riley Tidgwell. I have a date of birth but no death or further info as in marriages etc for them. Any additionl info would be very much appreciated if any ancestry member has any.

Kind regards Janette ( United Kingdom)

Posted: 18 Oct 2012 8:36PM GMT
Surnames: Tidgwell McCullough
I have no information on Margaret McCullough's parents, but I have Margaret McCullough [b 26 Nov 1849] married John William Tidgwell [b 23 Aug 1849] on 30 Mar 1876
Both died in Stockton Missouri. According to family lore, Margaret was called Meg and she was a fortune teller.
son John was born in New Hampton Iowa, and at one time lived in Oneonta NY [I have no dates]; m Flo Montgomery 24 Dec 1911 in Stockton Missouri.
Elizabeth Riley Tidgwell: b 9 [or 4] Jan 1881, New Hampton Iowa; m. William James Harris 20 Aug 1901, d 27 Dec 1962, buried in Stockton Missouri cemetery
I have a third child: Martha Louise, born in New Hampton Iowa, who married Julius Goodwin and had son Mark b 15 Sep 1912 and son Mahlon Pankey b May 1916. At some time she lived in Boise Idaho.

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 9:18AM GMT
Thank you so much for that Irene!. Since posting my last message on here, i did find John Tidgewell JR and all his details. But thank you so much for the rest. It's much appreciated.

Are you related to the McCullough's/ Tidgewell's in any way ?

Was Margaret 'Meg' well known for her fortune telling in the region? That's a great story to research.

Thanks again for the info :-)

Janette (UK)

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 12:27PM GMT
Surnames: Tidgwell McCullough
The short answer is, yes, I am related to the Tidgwells and the McCulloughs. The long answer is a 78 pg 'report' of the generations, beginning with Graham of Cloverhouse in Scotland, who is supposed to have emigrated to Antrim in 1580. Now, since I have no verifying-direct evidence of him [or for several decedents], I haven't uploaded any of this. Mostly I have the family lore. ... There are great stories surrounding John Tidgwell and Elizabeth Riley, which are a tanglement, and which have been elusive. ...
The Tidgwells and the William Sharps are the British dollop in my Norwegian/Danish/Swiss ancestry. Most 'history' comes from my English g-grandmother via my mother. She is the one who said Aunt Meg was the fortune-teller; not sure about actual instances. You are right, it would be a fascinating story.
How does it come to be that you are interested in Tidgwells and McCulloughs?
[sorry for such a long rambling response]
Irene

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 1:36PM GMT
Hi again Irene. Margaret McCullough Tidgewell's mother Anne Johnston McCullough is my 3x great Aunt.

Her brother Thomas is my 3x great grandfather. Anne had 2 brothers, Thomas and Robert, & 2 sisters Margaret and Martha.

All the siblings were born in Aughnacloy Co. Tyrone, Ireland and all settled in the US except Thomas, who served in the Royal Artillery and settled in the UK.
So Margaret Tidgewell. is my 1st cousin 4x removed or in simple terms i am 5th cousin to Margaret.

Instead of takin up space on the msg board Irene, i will PM you and discuss it further there, if thats ok :-)

Posted: 19 Oct 2012 2:44PM GMT
That would be awesome! Thank you.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions