Search for content in message boards

George Lowery

George Lowery

Sheril (View posts)
Posted: 11 Aug 2000 6:12AM GMT
Does anyone know if "Lowery" was ever changed to "Lowe"? I found this picture of George Lowery on Andy's Native Pages (http://www.wolfenet.com)and there is an uncanny resemblance to my own grandfather, George Washington "Lowe". My grandfather was born in the late 1800's in TN. I've been told of some possible indian ancestry. It's just a hunch-I can't seem to get any farther than my grandfathers parents, John Mary Lowe so I'm searching other avenues. Any info. is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Sheril

George Lowery

Posted: 11 Aug 2000 8:45AM GMT
Edited: 13 May 2005 4:29PM GMT
Regarding the picture of George Lowery, one must remember that many portrait artists of the era "Europeanized" their subjects. You will notice many similarities between different people who sat for various artists. This is a shortcoming of the artist and the artist's abilities. The Lowery family did not change spelling.

george lowery

t.lowery crabb (View posts)
Posted: 11 Sep 2000 8:55PM GMT
contrary to what the other replier told you there are many spellings to the lowery name. some trace back as far as scotland and ireland.
would like to view the picture you saw if you could email me the address of the site.
thanks

george lowery

sheril (View posts)
Posted: 12 Sep 2000 2:34AM GMT
It's Andy's Cherokee Page at http://wolfenet.com/-jat/geneology.html

George Lowery

Posted: 5 Oct 2000 8:14AM GMT
THE George Lowery family has not changed the spelling of their family name. As George was vice-chief of the Cherokee Nation at the time of removal, he and his descendants are listed on the rolls of the Cherokee Nation. If none of your close family appears there, then chances are he's not the one.

Cherokee Nation Rolls

Diane Day (View posts)
Posted: 30 Nov 2000 6:43PM GMT
How/where do I find such rolls.
My family of Lowerys' are from
Pt of Rocks, Washington Cty, MD

I have found more info. of George/John
Lowery in the book, "Trail of Tears"

Please, let me know about the rolls.

Cherokee Rolls

Posted: 1 Dec 2000 7:04AM GMT
There were several rolls taken by the US Gov. of Cherokee people, these include the Dawes Roll (membership of Cherokee Nation, OK), the Baker Roll (Cherokee, NC), the Henderson Roll and others. You them on Microfilm rolls at the National Archives or perhaps your local library if it has a genealogy dept. You may also check out 2 books: Cherokee Roots I II, these books list all of the rolls taken on the Cherokee people, both eastern and western. The books cost around $10 each and are available at bookstores, mailorder (you can try Amazon.com) or a powwow near you. Good luck, Donna.

Cherokee rolls.........

Diane Day (View posts)
Posted: 3 Dec 2000 4:34PM GMT
I did find #2829 roll out of Arhives in
Ft Worth, TX on several of the Lowerys.
But the fact remains that many were denied
especially in this case.This info. was
$l0.00 also but listed many names of the
Lowerys, and possible kin to "Cujo Jackson"
who is the Indian. But these Lowerys were
not able to fully prove their blood kin.
I will look up those books. Are you
saying that they list the individual names
of the ones/all applying. My Lowerys, are out
of MD, and the mother was born in PA.
One of the boys death certificate showed
the father to be "John Lowery". All the
other siblings showed father unknown. Also
a proof of the times, for no one wanted to
have blood kin of indians. The book
Trail of Tears tells why. Very sad........

Lowery's

Posted: 5 Dec 2000 7:48AM GMT
Edited: 21 Nov 2003 1:31AM GMT
Hi Diane, If you could you can call me @ 513 931 7592 I live in Cinti, Ohio. I have a John Lowery in my family that would be a great uncle who had a son(unknown) who died at the age of around 6? John had has around 10 children. My great granddad Samuel Lowery and John Lowery came to Lane, Sc in early 1900's. Most of my family lives in Phila, Pa Suttons Township, Sc. They are indeed half indians. My Mother is Mellie Lowery. Her father was Dewey Lowery and she do had a aunt Mary also. One lives in Philly the other in NY. I would love to hear what is in that book! I was told that our Lowery's poss. originated in New Orleans or Alabama. I found a Mellie Lowery(same as my mom) in the SSDI in Alabama. I am still searching. Also I am 36y/o w/ 11 bros. sis. I know nothing about what indians went through, I would love to hear it! I am black, white indian. Laura

Lowery's

Posted: 5 Dec 2000 7:48AM GMT
Edited: 21 Nov 2003 1:31AM GMT
Hi Diane, If you could you can call me @ 513 931 7592 I live in Cinti, Ohio. I have a John Lowery in my family that would be a great uncle who had a son(unknown) who died at the age of around 6? John had has around 10 children. My great granddad Samuel Lowery and John Lowery came to Lane, Sc in early 1900's. Most of my family lives in Phila, Pa Suttons Township, Sc. They are indeed half indians. My Mother is Mellie Lowery. Her father was Dewey Lowery and she do had a aunt Mary also. One lives in Philly the other in NY. I would love to hear what is in that book! I was told that our Lowery's poss. originated in New Orleans or Alabama. I found a Mellie Lowery(same as my mom) in the SSDI in Alabama. I am still searching. Also I am 36y/o w/ 11 bros. sis. I know nothing about what indians went through, I would love to hear it! I am black, white indian. Laura
per page

Find a board about a specific topic