Search for content in message boards

Glengarry Morrisons

Glengarry Morrisons

Posted: 23 Jul 2008 1:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Morrison
Hello all,

I'm looking for any information on the Glengarry, Ontario Morrisons. My ancestor Murdoch Malcolm Morrison was born there in around 1832. He married Jemima Ross in c.1858 in Renfrew Co. I've hit a brick wall trying to identify Murdoch's parents and would appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Derek Johnstone.

Re: Glengarry Morrisons

Posted: 3 Aug 2008 9:04PM GMT
1901 census www.automatedgenealogy.com gives Murdoch Morrison's birthdate as May 1 1832 but it looks like it says he was born Quebec. Death registration says b Glengarry County but unfortunately it doesn't give who his parents were.
1858 was long before registration started. Can you find any church records? Maybe his obituary would have parents listed. He died Jan 29 1905, Westneath, Renfrew County.

Posted: 3 Aug 2008 9:23PM GMT
Thanks for the tips. I think you're right about Murdoch's birth. The Glengarry birth was listed on his death cert. at the AO, but every census record I've found lists Que. as the birthplace, like Soulange, with all the other Morrisons, but I'm not certain. Re the obits, I've tried to track down Pembroke Observer (Jan 1905), but no luck, yet, i.e., not even at AO and York U. Any suggestions? (I.e., in terms of where I should be looking for obits)

Thanks,

Derek.

Posted: 3 Aug 2008 9:30PM GMT
1881 census also says he was born Quebec.
1871 census gives birthplace as Quebec as well. http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/1871-ontario/00...

1852 census St Polycarpe, Vaudreil County, Quebec

MORRISON
Louis, cultivator, b Polycarpe, Presbyterian, 31
Murdoch, as above, 22
Malcolm, as above, 20
May, as above, 27
Nancy, as above, 25
Florey, as above, 17
Christy, as above, 15

The birthdays are the age as of the next birthday.
This is from a pay site but the census is being transcribed by volunteers on www.automatedgenealogy.com
It may be transcribed.
Know nothing about Quebec vital stats.

Posted: 3 Aug 2008 9:31PM GMT
I live in Australia so am not much help re local newspapers.

Posted: 3 Aug 2008 9:57PM GMT
Thank you for your help. I am familiar with this family. This is the family John and Catherine (McGillivray) Morrison, who may very well be the family I'm looking for. The only thing that doesn't add up, is that I have seen research that suggests Murdoch's middle name was Malcolm, i.e., the same as his younger brother's first name (it's been suggested that Malcolm was a cousin, but I've seen a marriage record at the AO attesting to the fact that Malcolm was John and Catherine's son). One of two things are beginning to becoming apparent, #1: this is Murdoch's family and the research suggesting his middle name was Malcolm is wrong. #2: this isn't Murdoch's family.

Thanks again for your help, and other insights about the Que. Morrisons would be greatly appreciated.

Derek.

Posted: 29 Dec 2012 3:13AM GMT
Hi Derek,

Any luck with this family yet?

Cheers,

Bill
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions