Search for content in message boards

Esther () Southern (b. ca 1794 - 1801) of Howick Township

Esther () Southern (b. ca 1794 - 1801) of Howick Township

Posted: 23 May 2010 6:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: SOUTHERN, BELL, CARTER
I am trying to find the maiden name and parentage of an Esther SOUTHERN/SOTHERN who appears in the 1861 census with son (?) Edward, William and John. I believe her maiden name is Carter, d/o of an Elizabeth (BELL) CARTER of Tecumseth Township Simcoe Co, Ontario, but all I have is a "gut feel".

Esther is not an ancestor of mine, but if Elizabeth (BELL) CARTER is her mother, then she would be my gg grandmother's cousin.

Any information on this early SOUTHERN/SOTHERN family would be appreciated.

TIA, Arthur

Re: Esther () Southern (b. ca 1794 - 1801) of Howick Township

Posted: 25 May 2010 7:04PM GMT
Edited: 25 May 2010 9:25PM GMT
Surnames: Carter, Bell
I found them on the 1851 census and neighbours include Carters and one Bell.
Not sure if you had this.
See attachment.
Attachments:

Posted: 31 Jul 2010 2:37AM GMT
Edited: 31 Jul 2010 1:19PM GMT
Surnames: Scott, Southern, Sotheran, Crosby
Unfortunately we recently moved so a lot of my records are presently in storage. However, Southern appears in my husbands family line as his great aunt Jemima Scott married Edward A. Southern/Sotheran in Howick Co. Fordwich. Edwards father was John his mother was Jane Crosby, and if memory serves me I believe John's mother was Esther. Edward is buried in Fordwich public cemetary with Esther (his mother) and his father as well. There is also a family Sotheran plot which is abandoned now but some of the stones are readable.

Give me some time and I'll forward the information I have. You can reach me at my home email if that's easier 4ways2@bell.net.

Regards
Debbie

Posted: 11 Dec 2011 8:30PM GMT
Edited: 12 Dec 2011 2:34PM GMT
Surnames: Sotheran, Carter, Crosby, Gibson
Hi. I am Thomas Sotheran. We presently live in Missouri, but I am originally from Manitoba. This is what I have. John Sotheran sr. and Ester Carter are my great-great grandparents. The are also the parents of Samuel (my line), Elizabeth, John jr., Robert and William. John jr. and Jane Crosby, had several children, Edward Albert married to Jemima Gibson in October 1898, Howick County.

Posted: 11 Dec 2011 9:05PM GMT
Surnames: Sotheran, Carter, Bell
Hi Thomas, Do you know who Ester CARTER parents were? In another post you say John and Ester were married in Belfast, Ireland. How sure are you of this? Have you ever heard stories about Ester receiving a substantial inheritance from an uncle?

My reasons for asking is that one of the beneficiaries of the estate of Lieut-Col John BELL was an E SUTHREN who appears to be a child of Elizabeth (BELL) CARTER, the sister of John BELL. Each beneficiary received about 600 pounds, a substantial sum in 1836. The BELL/CARTER family was from Laois (Queen's Co) in Ireland and Ester would likely have married there or in Ontario as the family came to Tecumseth Township ca 1830.

I descend from a brother of John BELL.

Posted: 11 Dec 2011 10:15PM GMT
Edited: 12 Dec 2011 2:38PM GMT
Surnames: Sotheran, Carter
Ester (Carter) Sotheran b. abt1828 in Laoighis Ireland. Married to John Sotheran. Sotheran is the correct spelling. The Fordwich Ontario Sothern's dropped the a afew years ago. The Sotheran and Sotheran moved to the Fordwich area abt. 1854.

Posted: 12 Dec 2011 2:49AM GMT
Edited: 12 Dec 2011 2:37PM GMT
Surnames: Gibson, Scott, Southern
Hi Thomas...your information kind of matches what I have...lol. Will have to do some re-searching again on this line as it seems some of what I have is not quite right. Jemima Gibson is correct and that was the line I am searching. Jemima was actually Jemima Scott who first married Robert Gibson but he died 1897. She then married Edward Southern. Jemima was my husbands great aunt. If you would like to share anything it may be better to do it through 4ways2@bell.net as my ancestry membership expires in a couple of weeks and I haven't decided what components I want to extend.

Regards
Deb

Posted: 12 Dec 2011 3:00AM GMT
Edited: 12 Dec 2011 2:36PM GMT
Surnames: Sotheran
oh my goodness Arthur is that you...the Arthur Owen who has done all the research on the Fillmore line. It is so strange that we connect again (sort of) as I am researching the Sotheran family through my husbands line. Small small world.

Regards
Debbie

Posted: 13 Dec 2011 7:08PM GMT
Edited: 14 Dec 2011 3:41PM GMT
Surnames: Carter
Henry R. Carter may be Ester's father. I have several pages of Carter information from Henry and Ester that was given to me by Rev. Jeff Hawkins an United Church Minister in Gorrie, Ont. Do you have a fax.

Posted: 27 Oct 2012 8:07PM GMT
Edited: 28 Oct 2012 1:02PM GMT
Surnames: Carter, Sotheran
Hi Arthur. I have been going through some old messages today and wonder if you were ever able to find Ester Carter-Sotheran parents. I am still looking for the connection for John Sotheran Sr. and Ester Carter back to Ireland.
Thomas Sotheran
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions