Search for content in message boards

My grandmothers family - JP Kirkpatrick

My grandmothers family - JP Kirkpatrick

Posted: 26 Dec 2004 6:50AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Dec 2004 12:15PM GMT
Surnames: Kirkpatrick
I am looking for a link to my grandmother's family. Her Dad's name was JP Kirkpatrick and her mother's name was Louella both were born in Iowal They had 3 more daughters and one son besides my grandmother, Meribah . I am wanting to find out as much infomation as i can about who her parents were full name and so forth and who were her grandparents and maybe even a town from the old county.
Thanks Cindy

Re: My grandmothers family - JP Kirkpatrick

Posted: 29 Dec 2004 1:16AM GMT
Approximately what time frame?

Cynthia KIndall (View posts)
Posted: 30 Dec 2004 12:41AM GMT
Edited: 30 Dec 2004 12:17PM GMT
Surnames: KIRKPATRICK
1900 Census showed JP Kirkpatrick and his w3ife Louella and the following kids--
Amandad-18 born 3/1882
Orion, 16/ 11/1883
Meribah( my grandmother) born 1890 age 10
Ethel M 6. 4/1894
Florence 3,6/1896
I just want to find out what happened to the rest of my grandmothers brothers and sisters and where my great-grandparents came from and their names.

Posted: 30 Dec 2004 6:17PM GMT
What town in Jewell County did the census show them in?

Cynthia Kindall (View posts)
Posted: 30 Dec 2004 6:40PM GMT
They showed up in Washington Township, Jewell County
And another email i had said Washington, Ks , jewell county. I did not realize that washington was in jewell county??
Cindy

Posted: 30 Dec 2004 8:38PM GMT
Edited: 30 Dec 2004 10:46PM GMT
Surnames: KIRKPATRICK, JORDAN
I am just beginning to put something together. All of the following is just conjecture at this point but it may give you something to get started on.

Going by the age of the children and since the children were born in Kansas, it is possible that JP and Louella may have been married in Kansas. Also the 1900 census shows that they had been married for 19 years which puts us back to 1881.

That means that we need to go back to the 1880 census. Now gambling on that they might be in Kansas I looked at the 1880 census in Jewell County, Kansas, and even tried my luck a little further and went to Washington Township. Well, some mighty interesting things showed up.

In Washington Township a Mary Kirkpatrick, age 64, who is head of household so may be a widow, was born in Pennsylvania (which matches parentage birth on JP's 1900 census), has one of her sons named Platti (Platte). Well, there is at least a "P" possibility in JP. It shows him to be born in Iowa (a match for the 1900 JP) and also shows him to be 24 years old which means he could have been born in 1855 or 1856, which coincides with what JP Kirkpatrick age was in 1900.

Now, to "sweeten the pot", lets look a couple pages away in this same 1880 census, and lo and behold we come up with a Jordan family that has a daughter named Luella. She was born in Iowa (Bingo!) and her age is 18 which means she was born about 1862-1863, which is another bingo since this coincides again with her age in the 1900 census.

Now, the final help at this point is to go to the 1910 census and sure enough there is a Platte Kirkpatrick married to a Luella and they are in Washington Township, Jewell County, Kansas. The other interesting thing is that in the 1910 census it shows Luella had 9 births with 6 living children and you mention only 5 children. Well, to add to this family there is now a Marion Kirkpatrick born about 1903. How about that!

Well, I suppose I have thoroughly confused you up to this point and you have plenty to digest here. I will be contacting you directly by email later on today with census images that I can send you.

Your mystery really interested me, and I love a good mystery, so I did this quick search and the preceding is what I have found so far. As I stated I can possibly do some more searching later today but we will do the rest directly through the email. Please reply to this posting though to let me know you have at least seen this much before we proceed.
Dennis McIndoo

Cynthia Kindall (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jan 2005 5:50PM GMT
Dennis,
I do not know where you are located at but you have made my day. My dad was 17 when he lost his dad and never cared about his family history and i until about 18 months ago had not even seen a picture of my grandparents!
So i can't thank you enough and maybe there will be still some living connections to this day.
You can email me straight thru if you want at this email address. cjmca@ruraltel.net
Thanks for all your help.
Cindy Kindall

Posted: 16 Aug 2005 11:29AM GMT
Edited: 30 Jan 2006 12:50PM GMT
Surnames: HOCKETT, BIGGE
I am doing my mother's line the Hockett's she was born in Rooks county. When I saw your site. Have you heard of the book Lest We Forget. I do have it and there is a lot of information in it about the Bigge Family's Would be glad to give you those pages. Larry Lewis

Posted: 17 Jun 2013 10:47PM GMT
Surnames: Kirkpatrick
They were in the Montrose community.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic