Search for content in message boards

Terwilliger Family Genealogy

Terwilliger Family Genealogy

Posted: 7 Aug 2010 6:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
The following is my lineage back to Evert Dirksen, who arrived in America in the early 1600's. I would be interested in communicating with anyone in this line.
Harry Terwilliger b. 1895 NY - d. 1982 FL
Theodore Terwilliger b. 1861 NY - d. 1946 NY
John Decker Terwilliger b. 1824 NY - d. 1912 NY
Petrus P. Terwilliger b. 1782 NY - d. 1854 NY
Petrus Vas Terwilliger b. 1735 NY - d. 1804 NY
Johannes Terwilliger b. 1692 NY - d. UKN
Jan Evertz Terwilliger b. 1657 Holland d. aft 1716 NY
Evert Dirksen b. abt 1610 Holland d. aft 1686 Holland

Re: Terwilliger Family Genealogy

Posted: 6 Mar 2011 6:33AM GMT
My great-grandfather, Earle N Terwilliger, had a brother named Harry Terwilliger born sometime around 1895 or so. He was from New York (orange county I think). Earle's wife's name was Mattie Holbert Terwilliger. I do not know if Harry was ever married. Not sure if there is any relation to your Harry Terwilliger.

Posted: 6 Mar 2011 3:58PM GMT
Surnames: Terwilliger
The Terwilliger's are all related in one way or another through Evert Dirksen (Terwilliger). He came to America in the mid 1600's and was no longer allowed to use patronymics (using the father's first name + son). They lived among some willow trees and so the name became ter williger, which means 'among the willows' in Dutch.

Your Harry and mine are two different people, but I do appreciate you responding to my query. My Harry was quite a rascale. He married on several different occasions without bothering to ever get divorced. I met him later in his life and he was definitely a 'free spirit'.

Mathew Terwilliger b.1819 NY wife Jane Walker b. Ireland son>Isaac B. Terwilliger b.1866>Earle N. Terwilliger b. 1905 (Mattie)

Posted: 22 Mar 2011 12:13AM GMT
Earle N Terwilliger's obit is at the Terwilliger rootsweb.com archive posted 2007---

Earle N. Terwilliger
Ret. Railroad Emply., 99
Earle N. Terwilliger of Narrowsburg, a retired employee of the Erie Railroad and a longtime area resident, died Thursday, November 25, 2004, at his home. He was 99 years of age.
The son of the late Isaac B. and Anna Robinson Terwilliger, he was born April 18, 1905, in Westtown. He was the widower of Mattie Holbert who died in 1997 after 72 years of marriage.
Mr. Terwilliger was a member of the Tusten Historical Society and was a past president and charter member of the Tusten Senior Citizens. He was also a 75-year member of the United Commercial Travelers (UTC).
He is survived by a son, Roger; five grandchildren; 10 great-grandchildren; six great-great-grandchildren; and two great-great-great-grandchildren.
Services were held Monday at the Rasmussen Funeral Home in Narrowsburg.
Burial was made in Pine Hill Cemetery in Middletown.
Memorial contributions may be made to the Tusten Ambulance Corps, Narrowsburg, N.Y. 12764

Source: Sullivan County Democrat
Online edition
www.so-democrat.com
Callicoon, New York
listing for November 20, 2004

1920 Earle Terwilliger age 14 was living in Minisink, Orange, New York with Isaac Terwilliger age 53 and Anna Terwilliger age 53---those names are listed in his obit...

Isaac Terwilliger's mother's birth place was listed as Ireland.

1880 an Isaac Terwilliger age 12 is living in Philipsport, Sullivan, New York with a Jane Terwilliger who was born in Ireland and she is a widow. Her father's name is Charles Walker and he was in the household and he was 76 years old...this ISAAC TERWILLIGER has an occupation listed as boatman---(check sibling listings they also appear to be canal workers...)

also in the household is a "Rodolphus Terwilliger" age 11 and he is also a boatman and at Fultonhistory.com 1926-21 there is a obit for him with the headline "R.S. Terwilliger dies in Binghampton" . The obit mentions a brother named Isaac in Middletown, New York.

1870 Isaac Terwilliger born NY about 1866 is age 4 and living in Mamakating, Sullivan, New York in the same household as Mathew Terwilliger age 50 and Jane Terwilliger age 40. The same page is a listing for a CHARLES TERWILLIGER and his wife RACHAEL TERWILLIGER and CHARLES WALKER is living with them...this RACHAEL TERWILLIGER was listed as born Ireland...

Mathew Terwilliger fought in the 156th Infantry Regiment, New York, Civil war...

Re: Mathew Terwilliger b.1819 NY wife Jane Walker b. Ireland son>Isaac B. Terwilliger b.1866>Earle N. Terwilliger b. 1905 (Mattie)

Posted: 22 Mar 2011 1:08AM GMT
WOW!!!! That Earle N Terwilliger is my Great-grandfather. I never knew that much about his family line. I have just started looking into my family history. I am really very much a novice at all the family tree searching. THANK YOU so much for your generous information about my g-grandfather. I loved him so dearly. I miss both my nana and papa so very much. Thank you!
~Nikki Temple

Posted: 2 Oct 2011 12:58PM GMT
Annatie Jans Terwilliger b 1760 Shawangunk m abt 1780 Ezekiel Vandermark. Would appreciate any information. Know her line is Jan 1721-1807, Solomon 1700-1768 and Jan Evertson 1657-1716.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions