Search for content in message boards

Thomas Thorn d. 1803 Monongalia - Cassandra Thorn adminstratrix of estate

Thomas Thorn d. 1803 Monongalia - Cassandra Thorn adminstratrix of estate

Posted: 27 Mar 2006 4:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have recently found the estate settlement of Thomas Thorn, who died in Monongalia County, Virginia (at the time) in 1803. His wife, Cassandra was the adminstratrix of his estate.

I am trying to get more information about all the early Thomas, Joshua, William, and John Thorns, etc., in Monongalia County, Virginia (now WV) and where they all came from.

I would like to find some information about these people so I can see if and where they link up to my Thorn line, which is John Thorn and Sarah (Finnell?) Thorn.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Thomas Thorn d. 1803 Monongalia - Cassandra Thorn adminstratrix of estate

Arlene Gemmill (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jun 2006 3:28AM GMT
Could the following THOMAS THORN be yours?:

#############
HISTORY OF FRANKLIN COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA 1887 (Warner, Beers & Co. Chicago 1887)
p. 587
THOMAS THORN a member of the Rocky Springs Presbyterian Church a hundred years ago (ie, 1787)
p. 154
EDWARD THORN on List of Taxables in 1751-2 for Hamilton/St. Thomas Twps.
p. 578
JOSEPH THORN and JAMES THORN on List of Taxables in 1786 for Hamilton Twp.
p. 574
JOHN THORN on List of Taxables in 1786 for Guildford Twp.
p. 596
WILLIAM THORN on List of Taxables in 1786 for Franklin Twp. (now extinct, it then comprised Chambersburg and surrounding plats).
############

The JOSEPH THORN and JOHN THORN listed are mine and the WILLIAM and JAMES possibly their brothers. But the Thomas and Edward baffle me.

Posted: 12 Jun 2006 12:58PM GMT
I don't think these are my Thorns. The Thomas I have comes from Prince Georges county Maryland, I'm not quite sure when, but was in Prince Georges in 1776.

Thanks.

Lois Parry

Posted: 28 Jun 2013 7:08AM GMT
From Charles County Maryland
ID: I80526
Name: John Thorn
Sex: M
Birth: 21 NOV 1789 in Charles County, Maryland

Father: Peregrine Thorn b: ABT 1722 in East Newport Hundred, Charles County, Maryland
Mother: Anne Burch b: AFT 1748 in Trinity Parish, Charles County, Maryland

Posted: 28 Jun 2013 7:12AM GMT
I believe that these are the parent's of John Thorn that you are speaking of in Monongalia County he died 1831. I believe in the next post near the bottom that they identify John as marrying Elizabeth Knight, when it should be Sarah Finnell. Look at the connection of the other children marrying Finnells.
Peregrine Thorn
Sex: M
Birth: ABT 1722 in East Newport Hundred, Charles County, Maryland
Death: 1813 in Culpeper County, Virginia
Note:

===
THORN, BENJAMIN, Charles Co. 17 Mar, 1766; 9 Jun, 1766
To son Absalom Thorn, parcel of land being part of tract; called "Birch Den,
To son Peregrine Thorn, remaining part of tract called "Burch Den after decease of my wife Elizabeth Thorn.
To wife Elizabeth Thorn, all moveable estate and after her decease to my three youngest; children, William Thorn, Barton Thorn and Dorothy Thorn,
wife, extx.
Wit: Sam. Amery, Saml. Swann, Leonard Davis. 34.126
===
Benjamin Thorn 94.287 CH £167.11.5 Sep 11 1766
Appraisers: Samuel Amery, Samuel Swann.
Creditors: Samuel Swann. John Mason.
Next of kin: Absolom Thorn, Peregrine Thorn.
Administrator: William Thorn.
===
THORN, WILLIAM, Prince George's Co. 18 July 1774; 22 Aug 1774
To sister: Dorothy Thorn, all that part of my late father's, estate that might have become due to me and the residue of my estate to be divided amongst my three brothers and sister, Absolom, Peregrine, Barton and Dorothy Thorn and they to pay my mother £3 yearly If needed for her assistance.
Brother Barton Thorn, ex.
Wit: Basil Magruder, Stephen Allingham. 39.881

=== Contributed by Ralph D. Smith

1758 - Benjamin Thorn is in the 1758 Tax List of East Newport Hundred, Charles Co. Md., 3 taxables, no slaves. The other 2 taxables are sons Absalom Thorn and Peregrine Thorn.

Aug. 1765 - Andrew Buchanan vs. Perigin Thorn of Charles Co., planter. In Nov. 1763, Perigin signed a note (signature not mark) in which he agreed to pay Buchanan 1429 lbs. of tobacco, and that if he did not do so he would owe Buchanan the penal sum of 2858 lbs. of tobacco. Not having been paid, Buchanan brought suit for the 2858 lbs. of tobacco. Benjamin Thorn of Charles Co., planter, appeared as pledge and security for Peregrine. The case came on to be heard at the Aug. 1765 Court. Peregrine admitted that he owed the 2858 lbs. of tobacco and the Court found for Buchanan in that amount, plus 222 lbs. of tobacco for his costs and charges.
Source: Charles Co., Md. Circuit Court, Liber N No. 3, pp. 558-60.

Feb. 1770 - The Charles Co., Md. administration account of Justinian Burch shows that Burch's estate received a payment from Peregrine Thorn.
Source: Skinner, V. L., Jr., "Abstracts of the Administration Accounts of the Prerogative Court of Maryland, 1768-1771," p 92.

Mar. 1772 - Peregrine Thorn is pledge and security for his brother Absolam Thorn.

Mar. 1772 - John & James Jamieson vs. Peregrine Thorn, of Charles Co., planter. The Jamiesons allege that on Aug. 5, 1769 Peregrine was indebted to them in the sum of 5/17/0 current money for merchandise sold and delivered and in another sum of 5/17/0 current money for money paid, laid out and expended at Peregrine's instance. Not having been paid, the Jamiesons brought suit for 11/14/0 current money. Absolum Thorn, of Charles Co., planter, appeared as pledge and security for Peregrine. The case came on to be heard at the Mar. 1772 Court. Peregrine denied that he owed the Jamiesons and the case was tried to a jury. The jury found that Peregrine owed 5/17/0 current money and the court ordered judgment for the Jamiesons in that amount, plus 714 lbs. of tobacco for their costs and charges.
Source: Charles Co., Md. Circuit Court, Liber T No. 3, pp. 696-8.

Mar. 1772 - James & Robert Buchanan vs. Thomas Noe, of Charles Co., planter. In December 1769 Noe was indebted to the Buchanans in the sum of 7/11/7 for sundry goods sold and delivered before that time. Noe was requested by the Buchanans to pay this sum in May 1770 and at other times and not having been paid brought suit. John Noe and Peregrine Thorn, of Charles Co., planters, appeared as pledge and security for Thomas Noe. The case came on to be heard at the Mar. 1772 Court. Thomas Noe admitted that he owed the 7/11/7 and the Court found for the Buchanans in that amount, plus 274 lbs. of tobacco for their costs and charges.
Source: Charles Co., Md. Circuit Court, Liber T No. 3, pp. 769-71.

Aug. 1772 - Ordered by the Court that attachment of contempt issue against William Compton, Philip Wood and Peregrine Thorn for not attending as evidences for James Wood against John Slye.
Source: Charles Co., Md. Circuit Court, Liber U No. 3, p. 9.

Aug. 1772 - Lord Proprietary vs. Peregrine Thorn. Ordered that attachment of contempt issue directed to the Sheriff to take Thorn and have him at the Aug. Court to answer for not obeying a summons to testify for James Wood against John Slye and wife. At the Aug. 1772 Court Peregrine states that he will not contest the matter and he is fined 5 shillings sterling. Samuel Hanson, Gent., gives security for payment of the fine and court fees.
Source: Charles Co., Md. Circuit Court, Liber U No. 3, pp. 34-5.

Aug. 1772 - James & Robert Buchanan vs. Peregrine Thorn, of Charles Co., planter. The plaintiffs alleged that in Nov. 1770 Peregrine was indebted to them in the sum of 23/19/11 currenct money for sundry matters. James Briscoe, of Charles Co., planter, appeared as pledge and security for Peregrine. After continuances, the case came on to be heard at the Aug. 1772 Court. Peregrine admitted that he owed the Buchanans the 23/19/11 and the Court ordered judgment in that amount.
Source: Charles Co., Md. Circuit Court, Liber U No. 3, pp. 99-100.

Oct. 1772 - Peregrine Thorn was on a special grand jury convened at the special court session of Oct. 1772.
Source: Charles Co., Md. Circuit Court, Liber U No. 3, p. 145.

Aug. 1773 - Barnes & Ridgate vs. Thomas Noe, of Charles Co., planter. Plaintiffs allege that in May 1772 Noe was indebted to them in the sum of 14/5/8 current money for sundry articles shown in an account. The account, produced in court, shows purchases made by Noe from Barnes and Ridgate during the period Nov. 1770-July 1771. Peregrine Thorn, of Charles Co., planter, appears as pledge and security for Noe. At the Aug. 1773 Court, Noe states that he cannot deny the claim and the Court orders judgment for Barnes & Ridgate in the amount of 14/5/8, plus 439 lbs. of tobacco costs.
Source: Charles Co., Md. Circuit Court, Liber U No. 3, pp. 515-6.

Mar. 1774 - Absalom, Peregrine, William and Barton Thorn, among others, residents of Charles Co., petition the Court requesting relief from a road that has been stopped up by neighbours as it ran through their plantations, causing the petitioners to to have to go 4 or 5 miles out of their way. The Court rejects the petition.
Source: Charles Co., Md. Circuit Court, Liber W No. 3, p. 95.

Aug. 1774 - Barnes & Ridgate for the use of Rogers Stone & Fendall vs. Peregrine Thorn, of Charles Co., planter, special bail of Thomas Nooe. In Aug. 1773 Barnes & Ridgate obtained a judgment against Thomas Nooe for the sum of 14/5/8 current money, plus 439 lbs. of tobacco for their costs and charges. Peregrine Thorn was pledge and security for Nooe. Nooe did not pay the judgment and Barnes & Ridgate bring this action to execute on the judgment against Thorn. At the Aug. 1774 Court Barnes & Ridgate were granted execution against Thorn for the aforesaid judgment and costs, plus another 265 lbs. of tobacco for their costs ad charges in bringing this proceeding.
Source: Charles Co., Md. Circuit Court, Liber W No. 3, pp. 550-1.

Aug. 30, 1774 - Abraham [sic; Absalom] Thorn and Peregrine Thorn are next of kin in the Prince George's Co., Md. inventory of William Thorn.
Sources: (1) Maryland Prerogative Court, Inventories, Vol. 118, p. 265, and (2) Prince George's Co., Md. Inventories, Liber GS 2 (1763-1777), p. 304.

Nov. 1774 - Cunningham Findlay & Co. vs. Peregrine Thorn. Case. Struck off. Costs 132 lbs. tobacco. [docket item only]
Source: Charles Co., Md. Circuit Court, Liber W No. 3, p. 752.

Nov. 8, 1774 - A List of Desperate Debts due to the estate of William Thorn, late of Prince George's Co., Md., deceased: ... Peregrine Thorn (90/14/8) ....
Sources: (1) Prince George's Co., Md. Inventories, Liber GS 2 (1763-1777), p. 306, and (2 Skinner, V. L., Jr., "Abstracts of the Inventories of the Prerogative Court of Maryland, 1774-1777," p. 4.

1777 - Per. Thorn, Private, Maryland Militia, 12th Battalion, Capt. Henry Clarkson's Company, Charles Co., Md.
Source: Clements, S. Eugene and Wright, F. Edward, "The Maryland Militia in the Revolutionary War," p. 159.

Mar. 1778 - Peregrine Thorn is in the Census of Newport East Hundred, Charles Co., Md.
Source: Charles Co., Md. Circuit Court, Liber X No. 3, p. 634.

Mar. 1778 - Peregrine Thorn took the Oath of Allegiance in Charles Co., Md. before the Hon. John Parnham (signs his name.)
Source: Charles Co., Md. Circuit Court, Liber X No. 3, p. 644.

July-Aug. 1779 - Peregrine Thorn, of Newport East Hundred, and of Trinity Parish, Charles Co., Md., is first listed as a subscriber (July 1779) and then listed as a nonsubscriber (Aug. 1779) to a Trinity Parish fund for raising a salary for a Clergyman to officiate in Trinity Parish.
Source: LDS Microfilm Roll 0013759, Vol. 2 (Trinity Parish Vestry Minutes, Minutes of 1779.)

Aug. 21, 1781 - Letters of administration upon estate of Ann Burch, late of Charles Co., deceased, issued to Benjamin Burch, with Peregrine Thorn and Bennett Dyson as sureties. Bond 500 Pounds.
Source: Charles Co., Md. Estate Records, 1777-1782, p. 680 (Liber AF No. 7)

Sep. 3, 1781 - Justinian Thomas Burch and Peregrine Thorn are listed as kinsmen in the Charles Co., Md. Inventory of Ann Burch.
Source: Charles Co., Md. Estate Records, 1777-1782, p. 673 (Liber AF No. 7).

Sep. 1782 - Peregrine Thorn rendered patriotic service in Charles Co., Md. by providing wheat for the use of the military.
Source: Peden, Henry C., Jr., "Revolutionary Patriots of Charles County, Maryland, 1775-1783," p. 301.

1783 - Peregrine Thorn is in the 1783 Tax List of Newport Hundred, Charles Co., Md., as follows:
--4 white inhabitants
--2 male or female slaves, ages 8-14
--1 female slave, age 14-36
--4 horses
--10 black cattle
--3 tracts of land, as follows:
(1) part of "Burch's Denn," 112 acres (72 acres arable, 40 acres wooded), value 112/0/0, improvements: 1 dwelling house, 1 tobacco house, 3 small tobacco houses, 300 young apple trees.
(2) part of "Eagleton," 12 acres (9 acres arable, 3 acres wooded), value 12/0/0, no improvements on the land.
(3) "Greviance," 32 1/2 acres (16 acres arable, 16 acres wooded), value 32/10/0, no improvements on the land.
--total value of all property: 350/0/0.
Source: Maryland Tax List of 1783; District 2 (Newport Hundred) of Charles Co. (MSA Microfilm Roll M871)

1787 - Peregrine Thorn is in the 1787 Personal Property Tax List of Culpeper Co., Va. (List of David Brown), as follows: Peregrine Thorn, 1 Negro over 16, 3 Negroes under 16, 2 horses.
Source: Gordon C. Baker.

Mar. 1789 - Award. We, being appointed by the Revd. Mr. Hatch Dent and Mr. Absalom Thorn to determine an exchange or division between the said Dent and Thorn, in and of a tract of land called "Byrse Dent," do award that the division line between the said Dent and Thorn be drawn from a small gum, the division tree between Peregrine Thorn and Mary Thorn, and others, representatives of William Thorn, standing in a branch of the White Oak Swamp, and to run NE to a stone standing in (or near) one of the lines of the original tract. Signed Samuel Turner, Samuel Amery.
Source: Charles Co., Md. Circuit Court, Liber D No. 4, p. 440.

Apr. 21, 1789 - The inventory and appraisal of the estate of Thomas Magruder was recorded 21 April 1789 in Culpeper Co., Va. This inventory was made by Walter Compton, Barton Thorn and Peregrine Thorn. Two of Peregrine's children m. children of Thomas Magruder.

1800 - Peregrine Thorn is in the 1800 Tax List of Culpeper Co., Va. (list of Daniel Brown), as follows:
--Peregrine Thorne, 2 white males, 5 horses, 1 slave over 16, 2 slaves under 16.

Apr. 1802 - Maryland High Court of Chancery. Henry Cooksey, of Charles Co. vs. Benjamin Burch's heirs. Cooksey set forth that on Mar. 23, 1786, he contracted with Benjamin Burch of Charles Co., since deceased, for the purchase in fee simple of sundry tracts of land lying in Charles Co., known by the name "Lumley," "Pernury" [sic] and "Burch's Help" [sic] and on the day and year aforesaid passed his bond to the said Burch for the quantity of 47,659 lbs. of tobacco. Cooksey futher stated that the said Benjamin Burch put him [Cooksey] in full and quiet possession of the lands sold to him, and that the said Benjamin shortly afterward, that is to say in the year 1786 or 1787, departed this life leaving the following persons his heirs at law to wit, Leonard Burch, Eleanor Burch, issue of Leonard Burch a deceased brother, Sarah Burch, a sister of the said Benjamin. and now the wife of Zadock Harris, Susanna, another sister, and now the wife of Notley Maddox, Anne, another sister, and now the wife of Peregrine Thorn, and Sarah Burch, issue of Justinian Burch, A deceased brother [that is, Benjamin's brother Justinian Thomas Burch], that all the heirs of the aforesaid Benjamin Burch are living and residing out of the jurisdiction or this state in the commonwealth of Virginia as he [Cooksey] has been informed and believes, and that the said Benjamin Burch left Francis Hammersly and John Winter of Charles Co his executors.
Henry Cooksey brings this action to obtain a conveyance in fee simple of the following tracts of land in Charles County to wit "Lumley," "Pernury" [sic] and "Burch's Hope" [sic] which Benjamin Burch of said County since deceased sold'to him [Cooksey] at and for the quantity of 212 lbs. of tobacco per acre.
The Deposition of Samuel Turner aged sixty nine years, being duly sworn, deposeth, and saith, that Samuel Amery and Benjamin Burch married two sisters, that he was well acquainted with all Benjamin Burch's family, that the said Benjamin had only one child a son, who died before he arrived to legal age, that the said Benjamin had two brothers and three sisters, the eldest brother Leonard left two children a son and a daughter, who it is said live in Kentucky. The other brother Justinian left a daughter who it is said lives in Virginia, the 2nd sister Sarah was married to Zadock Harris and it is said lives in Ky., and the third sister Anne was married to Peregrine Thorne, who says he lives in Virginia ... and all of them reside out of state .... Jan. 18, 1803. [Deposition of Samuel Amery made in Charles Co., Md. an Jan. 18, 1803 and included an p. 248' of this Chancery Court case.]
Source: 53 Maryland Chancery Court Records - Liber S.H.H. Nei. 9 - 1802, pp. 242-250 [above abstract from Marilu's book,

1810 - Peregrine Thom [sic; Thorn] is in the 1810 Census of Culpeper Co., Va., as follows: 00111-00001-02.

1813 - Peregrine Thorn d. 1813 in Culpeper Co., Va.
Source: Index to Culpeper Co., Va. Will Book G (Apr. 1813-June 1817.) The Index shows Peregrine's will is on p. 29 of Will Book G. Will Book G itself has been lost.

Issue of Peregrine Thorn and Ann Burch (from Gordon C. Baker):
1. Benjamin Burch Thorn, b. July 10, 1778, m. Jan. 22, 1803 in Fauquier Co., Va., Eleanor Magruder, dau. of Thomas Magruder and Priscilla Beall.
2. Elizabeth Burch Thorn, b. July 5, 1784, m. Jan. 18, 1805 in Fauquier Co., Va. John Finnell, son of Reuben Finnell and Henrietta Thorn.
3. Ann Dyson Thorn, b. Mar. 12, 1785, m. Nov. 12, 1804 in Fauquier Co., Va. Elias Magruder, son of Thomas Magruder and Priscilla Beall.
4. John Thorn, b. Nov. 21, 1789, m. Elizabeth Knight.
5. Justinian Peregrine "Jesse" Thorn, b. ? (age 26-45 in 1820 Census), m. Margaret C. ______.
6. Martha Thorn, b. 1790, m. Robert Finnell, son of Reuben Finnell and Henrietta Thorn.
7. Dolly J. Thorn, b. ?, m. ______ Singleton.

===
Contributed by Shirley Middleton Moller

Charles County, Wills AF 7. 658
Anne Burch's Will.
I, Anne Burch of CC, am infirm of body but in sound and perfect memory.
To my daughter Susannah Maddox - 1 Negro woman named Judah.
To my daughter Sarah Harris - 1 Negro woman named Lucy, provided she claim no part of her father, Justinian Burch's estate, there being a balance due her from sd estate. The above Negro woman I give her in lieu of sd balance.
To my daughter Anne Burch - 1 Negro boy named John.
To my children, Susannah Maddox, Sarah Harris, Benjamin Burch, Anne Burch, and Justinian Thomas Burch - after my just debts are paid, the rest of my estate to be equally divided between them.
Signed May 14, 1781 - Anne [X her mark] Burch.
Wit: Bennett Dyson, Hatch Dent of Hatch, Perrgrene Thorn.
Probated Aug 21, 1781 by the oaths of witnesses Bennet Dyson, Hatch Dent, and Peregrine Thorn
===
Charles County Land Record Book S#3, 1770-1775; Page 588. Jan 27, 1774 from James Swan of CC, planter, to Perigrine Thorn of CC, planter, for 25 £ 4 shillings, part of a tract of land called Egleton, lying in the forest near the head of the white oak swamp which empties into Piles Fresh, bounded by the land of Peter Urquhart, containing 12 acres. Signed - James Swann. Wit - Jno Winter*, saml Briscoe*. Elizabeth Swann, wife to sd James Swann, acknowledged this deed. Recorded May 26, 1774.
===
Charles County Land Records 1786-1790; Liber D#4; Page 367. Jun 14, 1788 from Peregrine Thorn of Culpeper County, Virginia, to Benjamin Davis of CC, planter, for 3 £ and for other good causes, all that tract of land, it being part of a tract of land called the Den Enlarged, lying in CC, and bounded by a tract of land called Egleton, the Revd Hatch Dent's land, containing and laid outabout 8 acres. Signed - Perigrine Thorn. Wit - Rich'. Barnes*, Henry Barnes*. Recorded Dec 3, 1788.
===
Charles County Land Records 1786-1790; Liber D#4; Page 372. Jun 14, 1788 from. Peregrine Thorn of Culpeper County, Virginia, planter, to the Revd Hatch Dent of CC, Clerk, for 288 £, part of 2 tracts of land, the one called Burch Den formerly, but by a late resurvey and an addition of vacancy, now called the Den Enlarged, lying in CC, bounded by Burch Den and a tract of land called Morrises Mount, then to Absalom Thorn's part of Burch Den, then to Mary Thorn's part of Burch Den, then to a small lot laid off by Peregrine Thorn out of the Den Enlarged, then to Benjamin Davis, containing about 153 acres. The other tract of land is part of a tract called Egleton, purchased by Peregrine Thorn of James Swann out of the tract called Egleton, and lies contiguous to the tract called the Den Enlarged, bounded by the land formerly in the possession of Peter Urquhart but now possessed by Philip Key, containing and laid out for 12 acres, the contents of both tracts included, being about 165 acres. Signed - Peregrine Thorn. Wit - Richd Barnes*, Henry Barnes*. Recorded Dec 12, 1788. For wife's acknowledgement, vide Liber K No. 4 fo, 243).
===
Charles County Land Records 1790-1792; Liber K#4; Page 243. Relinquishment of Dower. CC. On Nov 11, 1790, personally appeared before us, Ann Thorn, and relinquished her right of dower to the within sold land, without any threats from her husband, Perigrine Thorn. Signed - Bent Dyson*, Wm D. Briscoe*. Recorded Apr 4, 1791 at the request of the Revd Hatch Dent. (Vide original deed, Liber D No. 4, pages 372-5)

===
1642-1753 Rent Rolls Charles County MD Hundred - Newport: Rent Roll page/Sequence: 375-17: EAGLETON: 615 acres; Possession of - 615 Acres - Swann, Samuel: Surveyed 9 July 1669 for Edward Swann in the woods near Piles Fresh at a bound poplar near the head of a branch: Other Tracts Mentioned: aka EGGLESTONE; aka BROTHERHOOD; ; Conveyance notes - {mm Note; not identified to a specific Hundred. Location identified by watercourse or nearby tract.}, 80 Acres - Samuel Swann from Philip Briscoe; 19 June 1725,12 Acres - Samuel Love from Thomas Swann; 17 July 1732, 38 Acres - Samuel Love from Thomas Swann; 23 Aug 1746 {mm note: could be 57 & 38}, 95 Acres - John Urquhart from James Swann; 2 Aug 1750, ,

Father: Benjamin Thorn b: 1702 in Charles County, Maryland
Mother: Elizabeth Burch b: ABT 1706 in Charles County, Maryland

Marriage 1 Mary Swann b: ABT 1721 in Charles County, Maryland

Married: BEF 1774 in Charles County, Maryland

Marriage 2 Anne Burch b: AFT 1748 in Trinity Parish, Charles County, Maryland

Married: BET MAY AND AUG 1781 in Charles County, Maryland

Children

Has No Children Martha Thorn
Has No Children Benjamin Burch Thorn b: 10 JUL 1778 in Charles County, Maryland
Has No Children Elizabeth Thorn b: 5 JUL 1784 in Charles County, Maryland
Has No Children Anne Dyson Thorn b: 12 MAR 1785 in Charles County, Maryland
Has No Children John Thorn b: 21 NOV 1789 in Charles County, Maryland

Posted: 22 Jan 2014 11:44PM GMT
Surnames: Thorn Knight Burch Finnell
This Thomas Thorn and his wife Cassandra had a son name John Thorn, who married Elizabeth Knight. This John Thorn died in 1821 in Monongalia County, Virginia (now WV) and his wife was the executrix of his estate. I have the court papers. for John and Elizabeth as well as Thomas Thorns court papers.

I have the court papers for the John Thorn, b. 1789, in Virginia, d. 1831 in Monongalia County, VA (now WV). These court papers list his wife and all his children, because of a court fight that one of the children and her spouse started after his death. These are my husbands direct ancestors. This John Thorn, son of Peregrine Thorn and Ann Burch, married Sarah Finnell, daughter of Reuben Finnell and Sarah Ashford. I have court papers to prove these relationships as well.

Posted: 21 May 2014 2:08AM GMT
Hi, has your husband taken the Ancestry DNA test? I'm looking for Thorns in my line, and this is part of my line. I, too, have a John Thorn B 1773 in MD, who died in TN. I'm trying to prove John's relationship with his father since I have found no direct documents in Montgomery/Dickson TN. Thank you!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic