Search for content in message boards

Judge J.Watson

Judge J.Watson

Posted: 7 May 2007 8:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Watson, Slusher, Collett, Caldwell
I am looking for info on a Judge in Salyersville around 1915-20. His name was J.Watson. He was an Uncle to my Grandmother Rosie Slusher(B-1896), daughter of Philip Slusher (B-1847.

Re: Judge J.Watson

Posted: 26 Apr 2009 9:01PM GMT
this may be him:
WWI draft registraton
James Watson; Salyersville, Magoffin, Ky
dob March 27, 1886
Occupation County Ct Judge

1920 Magoffin cty Ky
53 55 Watson, James 33, judge
Dora wife, 29
Herbert, son 8

there is this James in 1900
1900 Magoffin
128 128 Watson, Asberry, Sept 1861 38 married 18 yrs
Arlena, wife, April 1865 35 8 births 7 living
Li?a, dau Sept 1884 15
James, son, March 1886 14
Barney, son, Feb 1888 12
Dora, dau Jan 1890 10
Florence, dau Feb 1892 8
Dudley, son, may 1897 3
H?ger, son 5
Horance?, son 5

Ashberry is single in 1880, and no Kate listed with him.

Keep in mind that Judge was used as a given name as well as a title:
There was a Judge Watson ,dob Feb 14, 1882 son of George and Eliza Watson. Judge died in Crtttenden Ky March 17, 1939; occupation listed as cook; occupation on draft registration was minning.

Posted: 27 Apr 2009 12:12PM GMT
ole Asberry was married to Arlena or Orlena Bailey..9-20-1881 in Magoffin...Asberry was the son of Joseph Watson and Cynthia Cole..

I have James Watson and Nancy Cole as the parents of Joseph...

Herb

Posted: 4 May 2009 2:16PM GMT
You're right, this may be him. He was really a judge because G.ma Rosie told a story about him & his political beliefes. He had said to her that if Philip Slusher knew his daughter was voting Democrat he would roll over in his grave. She replied "Uncle J., if my Dad knew me & his Grandchild were going hungry he would come out of his grave." Philip died 1913 so this conversation took place after that date & she was living in Magoffin Co at the time. Thank you very much. Do you have any idea of how to find out if he had a sister named Kate, Catie, or Katherine??

Posted: 4 May 2009 3:33PM GMT
You need to find the correct Judge Watson on the 1880 census in hopes that he has a sibling listed named Kate, etc. Bastardy bonds for Magoffin County might offer a clue. I couldn't find a listing for Kate or Rosa or Willie on the 1900 census.

Posted: 4 May 2009 8:51PM GMT
Thank you so much for searching. Philp Slusher's family told that after the mother died Philip would bring 'little Rosie & Willie to visit. G.ma said Willie died quite young, he had just started walking. They were both born while Philip was married to Nancy Adams we think. His 1st wife was Samantha Conley but G.ma rembered 'Nancy' because she stayed with her some before she lived with William & Lora (Caldwell)Slusher. I doubt there were any records since the children were both born oow. G.ma also said that she was told to never ever tell that her Mom was Indian or she would be taken away from family. Thanks again.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic