Search for content in message boards

Virolahti, Miehikkälä or Säkkijärvi origin

Virolahti, Miehikkälä or Säkkijärvi origin

Posted: 5 May 2011 9:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 1 Jun 2011 4:58PM GMT
The Family Book of Koskela (Virolahti region) needs info about the relatives who live in USA and Canada.
The family book has 48 000 persons and the larger version
70 000 persons. So if You have roots on that area, it is very possible that Your ancestors are in the CD-book.
I will give info also in return.

Regards
Keijo Koskela
keijo.koskela @ koskelat.org

Re: Virolahti, Miehikkälä or Säkkijärvi origin

Posted: 26 Jul 2011 12:19AM GMT
Surnames: Kunttu
I descended from the Kunttu family of Säkkijärvi. Matts Staffanson Kunttu and Maria Esiasdotter were the parents of Antton Kunttu who was my grandfather. Antton went to the U.S. in 1906, changed his name to Tony Matson, and married another Finnish immigrant Susanna Pihlaja-Myntti in Seattle. If you have any additional information about the Kunttu's I will be very grateful.
Jan (Matson) Milligan

Posted: 28 Feb 2012 10:35AM GMT
Hello Jan.
Just saw Your message.
The last name was not in common use that time as Anton moved USA. His name was Anttoni (Toni) Matti's son (Matson in Swedish).
29.11.1887(birth) 7.12.1887 (baptised) Wilajoki n:o 8(Säkkijärvi village(house) Matts Staffansson Kunttu (father) Maria Esaiasdotter 38 (mother) Anton (son)

If this is the right person, I could find more info from parents, etc.

Regards
Keijo Koskela

Posted: 28 Feb 2012 1:30PM GMT
My paternal grandfathter's family was the Kunttu family of Wilajoki Village, Sakkijarvi. I do not know any living descendents, and I know very little about my Finnish ancestors, but am eager for more information. I have a page from a communion book that lists Antton's parents and a couple other family members, but it is not complete. Do you have connections to Antton or anyone in his family?
Jan (Matson) Milligan

Posted: 28 Feb 2012 2:31PM GMT
OK!
I found some roots to You.
They are in Finnsh language:
-poika means son
-tytär means daughter

Regards
Keijo oskela
Tuusula, Finland
Attachments:

Posted: 28 Feb 2012 3:15PM GMT
Hello,
This board does not accept PDF-files.
Please send Your email to: keijo . koskela @ koskelat . org

Keijo

Posted: 1 Mar 2012 3:04AM GMT
Thank you! Kiitos! This family tree is very exciting to read, and I am very grateful that you sent it to me. I knew that Antton Kunttu's parents were Matti & Maria, but I knew nothing more beyond that. Where did you get these names and how can I be sure they are accurate? How can I find more information such as where they lived, their dates of birth, more about other children, etc.

Antton Kunttu immigrated to New York, USA in 1906. He changed his name to Tony Matson and within a few years settled in Seattle, Washington. He married Susanna Pihlaja-Myntti (also a Finnish immigrant) in 1915 and they had two children, Helen and Gilbert. Helen died at age 3. Gilbert grew up in Seattle and married Lillian Kaitila, and I am their only daughter.

Do you know how I can find descendents of Tony's siblings?

Thanks for any help.
Jan

Posted: 1 Mar 2012 6:21AM GMT
Thanks for answer Jan.
Please send an Email to me to : sukukirja@koskelat.org and I will send more exact info.
You can find more info Yourself from:
HISKI : http://hiski.genealogia.fi/hiski?en
KATIHA: http://www.karjalatk.fi/katiha/index.php (in Finnish)
SSHY: http://www.sukuhistoria.fi/sshy/index_eng.htm
II WW deaths: http://kronos.narc.fi/menehtyneet/

Most of people had a Finnish name, but in church book all the names are in Swedish before 1900.
Before 1700 they even were in Latin.
So most of people translate the names in Finnish back to family books. Some use those Swedish and Latin versions.
In Finnish language we do not normally use W but V.
Priests used almost always W.

Best Regards
Keijo Koskela
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions