Search for content in message boards

Thomas Smith

Thomas Smith

Posted: 6 Apr 2010 11:20AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Smith
I am trying to find the name's & dob's of Thomas Smith's 1st wife & 2 children...Can anyone help me please

Thomas Smith was a soldier and a broker’s clerk when he was convicted of forgery. He was married with two sons at the time. Thomas was given a 14 year sentence and transported to Australia on the ‘Bengal Merchant’ leaving London on October 1, 1834 and arriving at Port Jackson on January 30, 1835. Thomas was 25 years of age. He was assigned to John Sullivan on the Macleay as a sawyer. (Source: Microfiche 712 Page 32)
Thomas Smith married Mary Harriet Birdsill on November 25, 1842 at St. Thomas’s Church of England, Port Macquarie. Thomas had a Ticket of Leave having served seven years of his sentence. He was 32 when he married Mary Harriet Birdsill who was known as Harriet.

Thank you, Anthony

Re: Thomas Smith

Posted: 27 Nov 2011 8:17AM GMT
hi Anthony,
I believe your Thomas Smith was born 4 Oct 1808 - Midlothian Scotland;
died 1 Jan 1864 Worrell (sic) Creek NSW Aust (drowning)
Married Mary Harriet Birdsill 25 Nov 1842 Port MacQuarie NSW. ( both convicts)
Both Mary b 1817 d 1894 and Thomas had previous spouses.
Children attributed to Thomas and Mary number 11.
They lived and worked around Austral Eden New South Wales Australia near kempsey nsw on the Macleay River.

Re: Thomas Smith & Mary Harriett Birdsill

Posted: 27 Nov 2011 8:37AM GMT
Surnames: Smith; Birdsill
Thankyou you so much for this info, you've helped correct a couple of mistakes I had on them.

Would you be able to help with the names of their 1st spouses & any possible children?
I know Thomas had 2 children at the time of his conviction, but I have not been able to trace them at all.

Thankyou again, your help is much appreciated.

Regards, Anthony

Posted: 28 Nov 2011 11:18AM GMT
Edited: 28 Nov 2011 11:20AM GMT
Hi Anthony, I dont think I have much more on Thomas but I hope this helps in some unrelated way. Good luck!
Mary Birdsill born Westminster London England. Her first spouse was Jno Edwards: Mary Birdsill Age: 22 Birth Year: Abt 1818 Spouse: Jno Edwards Request Status: Granted Date of Permission/Refusal: 14 Feb 1840

Mary Birdsill Vessel: Henry Wellesley Convicted Date: 15 Jun 1835 Voyage Date: 23 Sep 1835 Colony: New South Wales Place of Conviction: Old Bailey, London, EnglandImmigration: 07 FEB 1836 Mary was given a 7 year sentence and transported to Australia on the ‘Henry Willesby’. She sailed from Portsmouth on the 7.10.1835 and arrived in Sydney on the 7.2.1836. Mary Harriet Birdsill was 18 years of age./Sydney Cove, Port Jackson, New South Wales, Australia
Name: Thomas Smith Age: 32 Birth Year: Abt 1810 Spouse: Mary Birdsill Request Status: Granted Date of Permission/Refusal: 25 Oct 1842
Arrived "Bengal Merchant" Sentence 14 years
Thomas Smith received his Certificate of Freedom on 22 Feb 1850. No 50/92
Certificate states Prisoner Number 35/537:Ship Bengal Merchant:native place Midlothian:trade Soldier/Brokers Clerk: place of trial KENT ASSIZES: date of trial 21 July 1834: Sentance 14 years : Year birth 1810: Complexion Ruddy/Speckled: Hair Brown: Eyes Blue : general Remarks Small scar inside forefinger of right hand - held a Ticket of Leave No 42/841 dated 12 Mar 1841
Children with Mary Birdsill were Charlotte G b 1838, Helen b 1840, Thomas b 1842, Eliza b 1844, William b 1846, Marion b 1848, Sarah b 1851, Mary b 1853, Isabella b 1855, and Kenneth b 1857.

Posted: 28 Nov 2011 9:13PM GMT
Hello slackie11, Huge thank you for you help, you've helped correct some mistakes I had.
Thomas & Mary are my gggGrandparents on my Father's Mother's side.

Best regards, Anthony

Posted: 29 Nov 2011 9:25AM GMT
Hi Anthony, Thomas and Mary are 3rd great grandparents of my wife. If I stumble across any detail I will let you know.
John

Posted: 29 Nov 2011 8:27PM GMT
Hi slackie11, How nice to find another relation...
I'd like to send you an Invite to my Tree on here, would love it if you'd accept.
I am related to Thomas & Mary through their daughter, Helen.

Looking forward to hearing from you...Best Regards, Anthony

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 10:06AM GMT
Hello Anthony
I think the daughter of Thomas & Mary Birdsill, Mary, must have been married to a "Washington". I have a Helen Washington Smith married to John Dolman Spickett. I have her Father as Thomas Smith b. 4 Oct 1808, d. 1 Jan 1864 and her Mother as Mary Harriet Birdsill b. 26 Mar 1817 d. 16 Oct 1894. Married 25 Nov 1842. Only a guess with the Washington.
Kindest Regards
Frank Rae

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 6:31PM GMT
Surnames: Spickett; Smith, Washington; Gosper; Childs
Hi Frank, Thanks for your message...No, it was actually Helen "Ellen" Smith, that was married to a Thomas F Washington b. 1808 in Bedfordshire, England, United Kingdom & d. 1865 in Macleay River, New South Wales, Australia. Their Marriage date: 11 Dec 1857 in Macleay River, New South Wales, Australia. [1974/1857 WASHINGTON, THOMAS SMITH, STELLEN in MACLEAY RIVER]; I believe Thomas Washington's parents were a William Washington & Catherine, her last name unknown. Their Issue: 3 Children...Ellen Washington b. 1860 in Macleay River; Mary I Washington b. 1858 in Kempsey; Emily S Washington b. 1865 in Macleay River.

Helen Washington nee Smith then married John Dolman Spickett on 1872 in Macleay River. [2486/1872 SPICKETT, JOHN WASHINGTON, HELLEN in MACLEAY RIVER]; their issue: 5 children. Helen & John Spickett are my 2 x G/Grand Parents.

Can I ask, are you connected to any of them at all?
My email is Tonze@live.com.au; I'd like to know more about them all, if your able to help, I'd appreciate it...

Best Regards, Anthony Childs [formally, GOSPER]

Re: Thomas Smith

Posted: 3 May 2013 9:23PM GMT
Surnames: Smith; McKenzie
hi, I was wondering if you had come across any evidence that Thomas Smith's real/birth name was actually "Thomas McKenzie"?
Apparently he changed it when he was caught for the fraud.

Also I'd love to know the real Thomas & who his 1st wife & 2 kids were, as well...

This may be a break through?? One can hope...Cheers, Anthony
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions