Search for content in message boards

Kray Meat Packing Co.

Kray Meat Packing Co.

Posted: 25 Nov 2002 10:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Sep 2005 4:15PM GMT
Supposedly my ggguncle Otto Bill, perhaps along with his brother Albert,owned [?] a Kray meat packing company. They were from the St. Louis, E. St. Louis area. Can find no info on the Kray Co. [found a listing for a Dreymiller-Kray Co.] but no further info. Have no info on Otto other than his death was in the 1960's. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks, kjo

Re: Kray Meat Packing Co.

kathy (View posts)
Posted: 27 Sep 2003 2:37AM GMT
Hi,
My mom and I were just talking about the Krey meat packing company. Yes, it was in St. Louis, MO. I will find out exactly where. She was saying how disgusting the smell was and you could hear squealing of the pigs, because it was a slaughter house too. I will find out exactly where it was...
Kathy

Posted: 15 May 2010 4:27PM GMT
Kathy,

FYI! Regina Kane was the former traffic manager at Krey NB KREY, not Kray. She worked under Jack Krey Stephens.
Pami

Posted: 22 May 2010 4:27AM GMT
Thanks for the replies...here is info I gleened from internet..."The west end of Hyde Park developed slowly in the 19th & early 20th centuries, and the results are neither as consistent or as dense as t he eastern part of the neighborhood. The west end was less desirable as a place to live due to the presence of the meat packing industry, which was centered on Florissant Ave. The Krey's Packing plant and a few other packing related buildings still stand, but much of the rest is gone."
Attachments:

Re: Kray Meat Packing Co. (Krey's Packing Co.)

Posted: 14 Jul 2010 6:32PM GMT
My father, Jim Meyer, worked for Krey's 1946-56, becoming General Sales Manager. Worked for Jeck Krey, but I know he used to mention Mr. Stephens as well. I recognize the building pictured but not sure of location. Used to drive to the plant with him on Saturday mornings.

Posted: 4 Feb 2011 2:05AM GMT
Krey Meat Packing was on 221 N.Grand in St.Louis
Attachments:

Posted: 15 Aug 2011 7:17AM GMT
I realize you posted this ages ago but Krey was on Bremen Avenue in the Hyde Park neighborhood on the north side of St. Louis, not on North Grand Avenue (St. Louis University is there). It was close to Norh Florissant Avenue. It's one of, if not the most dangerous area of the metro arear now. My grandma grew up directly across the street from Krey. The building is still standing. You can see it on Google Earth when you type "Bremen Avenue St. Louis."

Posted: 15 Aug 2011 5:38PM GMT
thank you for the reply...another piece to add to my family puzzle... do you know of the Rosemont area? I have an old photo of GGfather Franklin Gronewald wearing a star badge..he was a constable during the riots in 1917..hid a black family in his barn...Buford Horn [?] was the youngest..he later became quite prominent in the area...maybe the first black lawyer??? Interesting story, just can't find any other info regarding either the Horn's or Ggf

Posted: 16 Dec 2011 11:08PM GMT
MY DADDY - BILL STEGEMAN WORKED FOR KREY PACKING CO UNTIL THEY CLOSED DOWN--HE STARTED IN THE EARLY 50'S WITH A PEDDLER TRUCK ROUTE FOR JEFFERSON CITY. MY MOM BERNICE PLACED ORDER ON THE PHONE TO LADIES AT KREY.

Posted: 10 Feb 2012 2:53PM GMT
Surnames: Lavalle, Woolhouse, Miller
I am researching Willard Henry Lavalle, b. 2/27/1877. His 1918 Draft registration card says he worked at Krey Packing Co. as a meat cutter and lists the address as 21st & Bremen, St. Louis, MO. Henry's wife was Anna. Please let me know if you have info.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions