Search for content in message boards

STATE TUBERCULOSIS SANITORIUM

STATE TUBERCULOSIS SANITORIUM

Donna Davis (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am trying to find out any information about the State Tuberculosis Sanitorium in Carlsbad, Texas. My g-grandfather had to be hospitalized there in 1927 for tuberculosis. Is this hospital still there? If not, can anybody tell me how I can find out information about it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TB Colony

Dawn (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
There is a state school North of San Angelo in Tom Green County. Actually it is in Carlsbad on HWY 87 North. It was once a TB Lockup facility and now is a level 6 state run facility for individuals with mental retardation as their primary diagnosis. They also house one dorm of Prison Inmates that do jobs around the county (manual laborers). Hope this helps. That's about all I know.

Tuberculosis Hospital

Posted: 27 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 17 Mar 2002 12:00AM GMT
Surnames: Huerta, Flores
I had a grand-aunt that died at the TB Sanatorium and an uncle that actually spent some time there. The Sanatorium was located in Carlsbad, Texas and presently is known as San Angelo State School, part of the Texas Mental Health,Mental Retardation System. I actually worked at the state school in the Recreation Division while a student at Angelo State many years ago. It's a rather large complex of dormitories (nine or ten if I remember correctly), a canteen, an education center, a workshop, and a chapel.

Tuberculosis Hospital

Shelley Gregg (View posts)
Posted: 9 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Joslin
My parents, Sam and Dorothy Joslin, worked at the McKnight Tuberculosis Hospital. I was raised in Carlsbad, in Tom Green County, Texas, where the tuberculosis facility was located. The care of TB patients ended in 1969, when the hospital was transferred to the Texas Department of Mental Health/Mental Retardation. The last of the tuberculosis patients left in 1970 or 1971. The facility still treats people with mental illness and retardation.

Each year, the Volunteer Services Council hosts a TB Days Reunion for former patients and staff members. If you would like to join us this fall, please give me a call at 915/465-2726 or fax me your name and address at 915/465-2970, and I will add you to our mailing list.

McKnight TB Hospital

Posted: 4 Jun 2001 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Joslin
In my research about the TB Hospital in Carlsbad, TX, I found a place that may possibly house the records from the old TB hospital that was located in northern Tom Green County. Try the Texas Center for Infectious Disease in San Antonio, TX. The address is P.O. Box 23340, San Antonio, TX 78223-0340. The fax number of the Client Records office is 210/531-4514. It is my understanding that the records from the TB hospital were sent to the San Antonio Chest Hospital, which was renamed the Texas Center for Infectious Disease. Someone there might be able to at least tell you where the records are archived now.

Re: Tuberculosis Hospital

Posted: 31 Jan 2002 2:23PM GMT
Surnames: MILLER / WATKINS / WEBB
My great-great aunts, Cora Miller and Callie Miller Watkins, worked at the TB hospital in the 1920's. Their sister, Mattie, was there as a patient. Cora and Callie later opened their own sanitorium, Miller's Sanitorium, located in San Angelo at E. 28th and N. Chadbourne. Mattie recovered and married Walter Wayne Webb from Carlsbad.

I'm interested in getting on your mailing list and will fax you my info. In the meantime, I'm interested in any information on the Carlsbad sanitorium and/or Miller's Sanitorium.

Posted: 31 Jan 2002 2:45PM GMT
I am so please you responded to the message. You can fax information regarding the Sanatorium to 915/465-2970, ATTN: Shelley Gregg.

The facility once known as the Sanatoruim is now a facility housing mentally retarded adults, most of whom have secondary diagnoses of mental illness. We are known as San Angelo State School and are part of the Texas Dept. of Mental Health and Mental Retardation. The volunteer services organization hosts a TB Days Reunion each fall, and I am currently gathering names, addresses, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for the reunion invitation list.

Last week, I received a request to forward information to the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram, as a reporter is interested in doing a feature article on the former Tuberculosis Sanatorium. We are so excited about this prospect and the possible surge of people coming forward to tell their stories.

Further information on the McKnight Tuberculosis Hospital and its superintendent, Dr. J.B. McKnight, as well as the history of Carlsbad, can be found in the Handbook of Texas Online via the web.

If you have further need of information, please give me a call at 915/465-2726.

Posted: 15 Jul 2004 3:15AM GMT
I was wondering how I would go about getting records from the TB hospital you mentioned..my mother, Juanita Morales passed away in one of the TB hospitals..I am not sure which one..She lived in Robstown,Tx at the time..I do know that she had been in and out of the TB hospital..any help would be most welcome..

Daniel Huerta (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jul 2004 12:09AM GMT
Never did find a death certificate for the person I was seeking. I would suggest that you start with the county in which your mom was at. Good luck

Posted: 25 Nov 2012 4:06AM GMT
i have since found out she died in San Antonio state Hospital...thanks for all the help
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions