St Paul's Cemetery in Mineral Point

Posted: 12 Jul 2002 10:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Jul 2002 1:50AM GMT
Surnames: Laverty, Carroll, Gallagher, White, McGinnity
I would appreciate any help in finding a death date for
Mary Ann Carroll Laverty.
Wife of James Laverty.
She is buried in St Paul Catholic Cemetery in Mineral Point.
She died possibly in 1893 or 1895.
Thanks.
Kathy
kathysullivan@tcq.net

Re: St Paul's Cemetery in Mineral Point

Posted: 13 Jul 2002 1:10AM GMT
Hi Kathy. THe Iowa Co. geneaological society has a cemetery book for St. Paul's. There web address is http://www.friendsnfamily.net/wiiowagensoc/index.html (let me know if I didn't spell it right, lol. You can order the book for $23 plus 3.95 for ship. Check to ICHS P.O. Box 321 Dodgeville, Wi 53533-0321. I have ordered a book for a different cemetery, and it was really well done. By the names index on the web site, there are 33 Laverty's including 1 James and a bunch of Mary's. I would guess you could gather lots on the Laverty's. Good luck.
Erin

Kathy (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jul 2002 3:28AM GMT
Surnames: Carroll, Laverty, White, McGinnity, Gallagher.
Thanks for that info Erin.
I just found out that one of the family membrs does have that book already.
Unfortunately Mary Ann Carroll Laverty is not listed with her husband James Laverty in that book. James happened to die 22 years after Mary Ann. James' obit said that he is going to be buried in the cemetery next to Mary Ann.
So I guess the next thing is to go to the Church records or see if there is a caretaker for that cemetery that might have additional info.
Thanks again for replying to my message. (And so quickly )
Kathy

Posted: 16 Jul 2002 12:48PM GMT
Edited: 29 Jan 2004 1:57AM GMT
I would definately try the caretaker/church followup. Her tombstone could have been destoyed, or damaged, or lost! It is amazing when you get the chance to actually walk the cemeteries, how many really old tombstones are literally washing away from so many winters, and harsh midwest weather. Good luck in your search.

Posted: 25 Jul 2002 3:35PM GMT
Edited: 31 Aug 2002 7:12PM GMT
I am searching the Beranek family of Peter and Anna who were in Kewaunee Co., WI in the 1880 census. My gr-grandmother Marie was born in Bohemia in 1837 and may have been their daughter.

Is Mineral Point in Wisconsin??

James L. Hildreth (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jul 2002 6:09PM GMT
Yes, Mineral Point is in Wisconsin, in the south west corner,
the place you talk about is on the east side in the middle.

Posted: 26 Feb 2003 2:26AM GMT
Edited: 4 Sep 2003 12:47AM GMT
Surnames: McGinnity, Shanley, Gallagher, Monahan, McCarville
I am interested in your Gallagher and McGinnity connection. My GGrandfather Stephen Shanley married GGrandmother Margaret Gallagher, the eldest daughter of Thomas and Ann Gallagher on Dec 26, 1881 at St. Paul's Church in Mineral Point. They had one child, Stephen T., my Grandfather, who married Ella McGinnity, daughter of Thomas and Catherine (Monahan) McGinnity. I have info on McGinnity's, but not much on Gallaghers.

Kathy Sullivan (View posts)
Posted: 26 Feb 2003 2:52PM GMT
Surnames: Sullivan, Carroll, Gallagher, Foley, Hayes
Hi,
My connection to the Gallagher and McGinnity families is
Rodger Carroll and Mary Gallagher Carroll emigrated to the WI from Ireland thru Hamilton Ontario Canada, thru Detroit MI and landed in Black Earth Township, Dane County WI.

One of their daughters, Catherine (Kate) Carroll b: 1848
married James McGinnity b: ABT 1830
Children of Catherine (Kate) Carroll and James McGinnity are: i. Alice McGinnity was born ABT 1867 in Waldwick Iowa Cty. WI.
ii. Daniel McGinnity was born ABT 1869 in Waldwick Iowa Cty. WI.
Good Luck,
Kathy

Vicki Tuschen (View posts)
Posted: 28 Feb 2003 3:51PM GMT
Could you elaborate on the McGinnity line? I believe I have run across Thomas and Catherine McGinnity living in the town of Waldwick on one of the census. The McGinnity's that I am interested in are the same as Kathy Sullivan's, also lived in the town of Waldwick. I feel there is a connection between your Thomas and our James, like cousins or uncle/nephew. Any ideas I would love to hear them!

Posted: 28 Feb 2003 7:52PM GMT
Edited: 4 Sep 2003 12:47AM GMT
Here is what I have - James and Thomas were children of Owen and (n/a) McGinnity who emigrated to the US in 1848 from County Monaghan. They landed in New Orleans and came up the Mississippi to Galena, IL and setteled in the Town of Willow Springs, LaFayette County WI - just south of Mineral Point. The other sibblings that I have are Mary (married Michael Kearns), John - a bachelor, grad of Notre Dame University, moved to Denver and was very successful in the lumber business. There were twins, Daniel and Eugene M., who were both ordained Catholic Priests (on 12/27/63). Daniel died six years later, but Eugene became a prominent Pastor in southern WI. I am missing the 8th child.
James and Thomas had adjoining farms in the Town of Waldwick, Iowa Cty. Each had about 12 children. Thomas, my GGF, had three wives, first two died - with children by all three. My GM was in the third batch (as my mother would say) from THomas and Catherine Gibbons Monahan. Both Thomas and James had sons names Thomas and James - so there were lots of McGinnity's in the Mineral Point / Hollendale area. I have a lot more detail if you are interested, but this was a quick overview.
Good Luck - (p.s. - Isn't this internet great!)
Jim
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions