Search for content in message boards

John Baughman - Pa & Civil War

John Baughman - Pa & Civil War

Posted: 29 Jul 2001 10:21PM GMT
Edited: 3 Nov 2002 2:48AM GMT
Surnames: Baughman, Werner
Looking for info on Civil War veteran John Henry Baughman who served with the 87th Pennsylvania Infantry.

Baughman (Bachman), John Henry, Cpl Co E; mustered Sep 13, 1861; captured Jul 9, 1864, at the battle of Monocacy; born @1833/34 in Hesse Cassel, Germany; died Feb 2, 1865, in Danville Prison; a laborer; 5' 8", sandy hair, hazel eyes; married Caroline ? who later married Carl Werner of the 87th; John and Caroline had one son, Alfred, but some claimed he was the son of John's nephew, Alfred, whom she later married [anonymous letter in the pension of Carl Werner]; buried in National Cemetery, Danville, Pittsylvania County, Virginia, plot E891

Re: John Baughman - Pa & Civil War

sharon rouvinen (View posts)
Posted: 7 Sep 2002 3:30AM GMT
Classification: Query
this is my great great grandfather that you are requesting information about. he was also known as johann heinrich baughman. his name is listed on one of the pennsylvania war monuments at gettysburg. i am also aware of the fact that his death was due to starvation in danville prison.

i have several relatives who have done research and have quite a bit of information about my great great grandfather as well as other family members. i would be happy to give you more information or point you to others in my family that may be able to assist you.

Posted: 7 Sep 2002 4:47AM GMT
Edited: 3 Nov 2002 2:48AM GMT
Here is an update of the data I have on John Baughman, member of the 87th Pennsylvania Infantry.

Baughman (Bachman), John Henry, Cpl Co E; mustered Sep 13, 1861; captured Jul 9, 1864, at the battle of Monocacy; died Feb 2, 1865 in Danville Prison; a laborer and quarryman from York; 5' 8", sandy hair, hazel eyes; born @1833/34 in Hesse Cassel, Germany; married Louisa Caroline Meek; children: George W., Jacob , Charles, Rose, and Lydia; also reported was a son, Alfred, but some claimed he was the son of John's nephew, Alfred, whom she later married; buried in National Cemetery, Danville, Pittsylvania County, Virginia, plot E891; Caroline remarried Carl Werner, also of the 87th

However, your statement about the name "John Baughman" being on a Gettysburg monument (presumably you mean the Pennsylvania Monument) I'm sure is true, but it cannot be your ancestor. The 87th Pennsylvania Infantry was broken into many parts three weeks before Gettysburg at the 2nd battle of Winchester and did not reform until the following October. The regiment was nowhere near Gettysburg during the battle and, indeed, wasn't even a cohesive unit. The only slim chance would be if John Henry returned home and rushed to Gettysburg to offer his services.

Posted: 5 Jul 2006 4:36AM GMT
Sharon,

I believe we are related. Johann is my great great grandfather also. Please e-mail me back. I would love to exchange information.

Posted: 5 Jul 2006 4:43AM GMT
Dennis,

You are correct. I visited Pennsylvania about a month ago. The PA monument at Gettysburg does not have a plaque for the 87th Infantry, presumably because they didn't fight in that battle.

Regards,
Dan

Posted: 14 Nov 2007 5:06PM GMT
Surnames: Baughmen
Dan,
Please contact me if you read this post. I am researching the members of the 87th PVI and would love to know what you have found about John Henry Baughman/Bachman. I'm writing short biographies for those whom I have found a photo of and hope to publish the project for the benefit of the York County Heritage Trust when it is complete. I currently have one photo of John, but would love to obtain copies of others if they are out there to be found.
Thanks,
Chris
Please e-mail me at Lookin4treasure@aol.com

Posted: 14 Nov 2007 5:08PM GMT
Sharon,
Please contact me if you read this post. I am researching the members of the 87th PVI and would love to know what you have found about John Henry Baughman/Bachman. I'm writing short biographies for those whom I have found a photo of and hope to publish the project for the benefit of the York County Heritage Trust when it is complete. I currently have one photo of John, but would love to obtain copies of others if they are out there to be found.
Thanks,
Chris
Please e-mail me at Lookin4treasure@aol.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions