Search for content in message boards

Wrong Information?

Wrong Information?

Posted: 4 May 2012 10:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Im curious as to what forms of ID or proof was required in the mid 1930's to obtain a SS#. I'm wondering because on my husbands grandfathers application it lists the state he was born in and his marriage license says another. Also I have not been able to find birth, death, marriage for either of his parents. Could he have just put names in without proving they were his parents?

Re: Wrong Information?

Posted: 4 May 2012 11:58PM GMT
Edited: 5 May 2012 12:02AM GMT
If he was getting a SS card in the mid-1930s, then he should have been in one or two censuses with his parents/family before that, I would think.

When was he born?

How about his birth certificate? That should have the correct parents. (unless he was "illegitimate" or adopted)

Posted: 5 May 2012 12:52AM GMT
He was born in 1913. Can't find anything about where he was born. He is not an easy one to search since his name is very common for the era. William Wallace. Middle name Branch. Parents names per the app Sandie Wallace and Merry Snider. Much less common names yet they seem to not exist that why I was wondering if they had to show proof of who thier parents were or where they were born back then or if they could just put any name and any state for birth down.

Posted: 5 May 2012 1:16AM GMT
Edited: 5 May 2012 1:21AM GMT
Have you found him in the Social Security Death Index?

How about an obituary?

A will?

Burial info?

Posted: 5 May 2012 1:49AM GMT
Yes...no proof of age or information was required to obtain an SS NUMBER. The proof was required at the time the wage earner filed for benefits.

Joan

Posted: 5 May 2012 2:29AM GMT
You can't assume that they didn't exist just because you haven't found them yet.

There could be name variations, such as use of middle names, or spelling errors, or other "glitches" that prevent them from showing up in the databases or documents you've seen.

If your goal is to find his parents, then you need to review all of his records before deciding that his parents are "fictitious."

Can you post everything you know about him? (I'm assuming that he's passed away...)

Posted: 5 May 2012 2:31AM GMT
yes I found him in the death index, it lists his date of birth and date of death. It does not list parents or state of birth. There is not an obituary, nor a will, and he was cremated and ashes scattered from the stories. Thank you tho for the suggestions.

Posted: 5 May 2012 2:34AM GMT
Thank You Joan. I will broaden my search and disreguard anything I think I might know and consider it as only possible information and hope something comes along.

Posted: 5 May 2012 3:08AM GMT
When I first read your message I thought Sandie was a woman and Merry was a man because those are the usual designations with those two spellings BUT then from another message I found that it is the opposite:

Mr. Sandie Wallace and
Mrs. Merry Elizabeth Snider Wallace

right?

Posted: 5 May 2012 3:12AM GMT
Unfortunately, if he was born in Alabama (in another message) you won't be able to order his birth certificate for another 26 years from now. :(

Where was the other possible birth location you mentioned?

Have you ordered his death certificate? Many death certificates have parents' names and a birth location.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic