Scott family from Hamilton, Victoria

Scott family from Hamilton, Victoria

Lyn Scott (View posts)
Posted: 27 Oct 2006 12:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 31 Oct 2006 2:30AM GMT
Surnames: Scott
Thanks again for your information.

I have been unable to find any details on the death of John Hatton Scott and where.

Also if anyone can help with how the family arrived in Australia. I believe they first lived in Melbourne so assume they landed there in 1853 and later moved to Hamilton.

Re: Scott family from Hamilton, Victoria

Cherilyn (View posts)
Posted: 27 Oct 2006 1:33PM GMT
Edited: 31 Oct 2006 2:30AM GMT
Surnames: Cahill, Scott, Cochrane
Hi Lyn

Picked up on this interesting family line... I am not related but hope you don't mind my "snooping".

Minnie CAHILL was born in Limerick, according to their marriage registration.

I suspect the family may have moved to NSW. There are several possibilities for the deaths of Minnie and John in NSW - do you know John's parents names?

Also the WA connection seems certain. If you look at the National Archives, the military records show 7 people with the surname SCOTT and 2nd or 3rd given name Longmore. Five of these were born in Kalgoorlie/Boulder WA, but one was born in Broken Hill NSW.

Interestingly this one in NSW was named John Francis Longmore SCOTT and was born 4 April 1906; it looks like his parents were John F L SCOTT and Mary COCHRANE (they married in Broken Hill in 1905).

Let me know if you are interested in the others (you can look at the NAA RecordSearch site yourself if you'd rather) or if you know John Hatton SCOTTs parents names.

Cheers
Cherilyn

Lyn Scott (View posts)
Posted: 27 Oct 2006 2:53PM GMT
Edited: 31 Oct 2006 2:31AM GMT
Surnames: Scott, Cahill, Hatton
Hi Cherilyn,

Thanks for the information.

Minnie Cahill was John Hatton Scott's second wife. His first wife died in Hamilton, Victoria and he married Minnie about a year later. They had a son James Fedarle Scott. I have no record of where they ended up.

John Hatton Scott's father's name was John Scott and his mother was Elizabeth Hatton.

John Hatton Scott had one son from his first marriage and he married Elizabeth Longmore Back. This is where the name Longmore came from.

From this marriage came three children and John Longmore was the eldest son I think.

Any information would be greatly received.

Thanks,
Lyn

Kate Finning (nee Hayes) (View posts)
Posted: 30 Oct 2006 8:11AM GMT
Hi There,

Do you know approximately when John died? What year was he born?
I have all state bdm cds, i can take a look for you if i have a rough estimate.

Thanks

lscott (View posts)
Posted: 31 Oct 2006 12:25AM GMT
I believe he died around 1903 but now someone has informed me that he was drowned while on a ship returning from Singapore. So I have no idea where to go to investigate this.

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks, Lyn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic