Search for content in message boards

Gold Miners in Gabriel's Gully, Central Otago

Gold Miners in Gabriel's Gully, Central Otago

Posted: 20 Oct 2004 7:02PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 18 Aug 2006 5:06AM GMT
Surnames: Bourke
Do any lists exist for either miners or gold mining claims in the Central Otago area in the post 1860-1873 period?
Looking for anything in relation to Patrick Bourke who landed in a Westland port from Victoria, Australia in this period and who subsequently settled near Patea, Taranaki in 1873.

Re: Gold Miners in Gabriel's Gully, Central Otago

Posted: 20 Oct 2007 3:10AM GMT
Hi, oddly enough (although looking for different people) I'm on the same hunt as you I have relatives that were backwards & forwards from Westport to Patea, so if you have found any way of gleening info could you let me know? i have found Papers Past helpful
Jane

Posted: 20 Oct 2007 8:35AM GMT
Surnames: Bourke
Hi Jane,
Nothing yet, and I doubt it exists but agree that Papers Past is getting much better by the day. I am told that Hockein? Library in Dunedin is good.

Posted: 20 Oct 2007 7:40PM GMT
Thanks I'll check that out, I'm intreged about the reason these people travelled between the to towns, commerce of some sort I suppose?
Cheers Jane

Posted: 22 Oct 2007 9:35AM GMT
Surnames: Shanty Town
Maybe information here

http://www.shantytown.co.nz/

Located only 10kms south of Greymouth, Shantytown is where New Zealand retells the inspirational stories of the hardy, treasure seeking immigrants who battled through the harsh conditions of the most challenging of the 19th centuries great gold rushes to become West Coasters. A new breed of New Zealander who brought an invigorated pulse to the heart of the nation; a pulse that beats loudly in the character of today’s New Zealander.

Wonderful true stories and engaging, interactive activities make Shantytown one of New Zealand’s premier cultural and heritage experiences. The perfect location to be both an observer and a participant in the history that helped form the heart of the nation.

Posted: 16 Apr 2010 8:55AM GMT
Hi,

I am a doctoral student at the University of Otago, in Dunedin, NZ, where I am researching the Otago gold rushes. As part of my research I am collecting letters, diaries and memoirs from goldminers, and I am wondering if you might have any material you'd be willing to let me read. In exchange, I'd be happy to send your way whatever info I find about your ancestors.

I can be reached at danjdavy@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Dan

Posted: 19 Apr 2010 6:38AM GMT
Surnames: DUGGAN, BRANDON
This site might be of help.

http://www.kaelewis.com/

I have gold miners in the Drybread / Matakanui (Central Otago) region mainly, though I also have Timothy Duggan & William Brandon who had a claim in 1879, near "Dirty Mary's Creek, Addison's Road" near Westport.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions