Search for content in message boards

Edward McGillis

Edward McGillis

Neil McGillis (View posts)
Posted: 1 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McGillis - Bamber
Interested in hearing of Edward McGillis s/o Andrew & Margaret Bamber. He was born c.1834/1838 and in the 1851 census was living with Donald McGillis as an apprentice wheelwright. The name "Edward" presumably is from his mother's family.

Re: Edward McGillis

Posted: 4 May 2013 2:25AM GMT
Surnames: McGillis Bamber
I am interested in anyone of this family. I would like to know more about Margaret Bamber. She had a daughter who was baptised in the same Belleville Ontario church as many of my Bamber relatives. I wonder if she is the missing child of Edward and Margaret Bamber of Murray Township.

Posted: 18 May 2013 6:41PM GMT
It looks like a feasible connection. A missing daughter might well be Margaret who named her son Edward (McGillis)

I notice in census for Murray Twp
a Joseph Bamber in 1818;
W. Bamber in 1817;
Edward Bamber in 1820;
William , John, & Edward Bamber in 1840

Are these Bamber all one family'

Posted: 19 May 2013 1:12AM GMT
That is what I am trying to determine. Edward and Margaret Bamber came from England in 1815 and brought their 7 children (Elizabeth, Anne, Richard, Edward, John, William and Thomas). They had another child (a girl) in Canada around 1820 thereabouts. Since there didn't appear to be other Bamber families in the area I wonder if she is the missing child. I don't know who the Joseph Bamber is but maybe I will have to track him down as well.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic