Search for content in message boards

History of Galion

History of Galion

Posted: 15 Jun 2011 3:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for information about the history of Galion in Morehouse Parish. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions? Thanks!

Re: History of Galion

Posted: 16 Jun 2011 10:17PM GMT
Surnames: Boozman, Downs, Galier, Germann, Handy, Keys
Per "Louisiana Post Offices" by John J. Germann (1990), there are two Gallion-related listings. Today a sign reads "Galion" with one "L" on Highway 165 North but listings in Germann's book are spelled "Gallion," and "De Gallion." Most villages and towns took their names from the post office established. De Gallion Post Office was established 19 Mar 1972, discontinued 6 Apr 1874; its first Postmaster, S. Boozman. In 1871 De Gallion had about 100 in its village or a population of 400 in its total area. It was re-established 19 Jul 1890, and discontinued 19 Aug 1890 with its mail then delivered from the Gallion, LA, Post Office. Gallion was established on 20 Aug 1890,then discontinued 31 Jul 1960; mail then delivered from Bonita, LA, Post Office. Its first Postmaster was Samuel W. Handy. Note under "De Gallion" states "was de Gallion. Pop (1890) about 500- - 2 stores, RR (railroad) station, and 3 dwellings," Named for Galier - an early trader and hunter." Sometimes obits state the burial was made in "Gallion." My research has shown the area around the Cherry Hill No. 2 Church in Mer Rouge, (which has a cemetery)may be the burial site mentioned as "buried in Gallion." On the other hand, the death certificate of Civil War Veteran Private Arthur Downs states he was buried in 1933 at "Galleon's Bridge." Today, his headstone is at the Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church's Cemetery, Mer Rouge, LA. During further research with longtime residents, Mr. and Mrs. Joe Keys of Mer Rouge, I was told by his wife that Galleon means a small stream; that "Galleon's Bridge" on Down's death certificate may simple mean his burial site was near the bridge over a nearby "galleon" (small stream) since the cemetery may not have had an official name. In 1933 residents may have called it the "Galleon's Bridge" cemetery before the Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church assumed ownership over the cemetery now bearing its name. Despite the foregoing, one thing is definite. Galion, however spelled, is located now and in 1933, in Mer Rouge, Morehouse Parish, Louisiana.

Posted: 8 Jul 2011 12:33AM GMT
I was doing research on my Grandmother who passed around 1918. Her death certificate indicated that a Calion had certified her passing. She lived in Bonita Louisiana at the time. The certificate was sparsely documented so I have no other info on his status. I'm not sure whether he was a Doctor or Mortician or Coronary. His race and ethnic status is unknown, however, if you will look on the 1900-1910 US Census for Morehouse Parish Jones/Bonita you will see many listed with that name "Callion or Calion" as families. They are mostly African Americans.

Posted: 8 Jul 2011 12:35AM GMT
Surnames: Galion or Calion and Callion
I was doing research on my Grandmother who passed around 1918. Her death certificate indicated that a Calion had certified her passing. She lived in Bonita Louisiana at the time. The certificate was sparsely documented so I have no other info on his status. I'm not sure whether he was a Doctor or Mortician or Coronary. His race and ethnic status is unknown, however, if you will look on the 1900-1910 US Census for Morehouse Parish Jones/Bonita you will see many listed with that name "Callion or Calion" as families. They are mostly African Americans.

Posted: 6 Jan 2012 2:43AM GMT
For what it is worth, I lived near Galion from the time I was about 4 until I was about 17. We had a small farm out from Galion on a road that connected hwy 165 to the Bonita Road. During the time I was there, Galion consisted of a cotton gin owned by the Brodnax family as I recall. It had three more or less general stores, two owned by Hudson's and one owned by Brodnax. There was a post office also. Most of the population lived outside that area on the various farms surrounding it. Galion was located midway more or less between Mer Rouge and Bonita on hwy 165. Most of the kids in that area attended school in Mer Rouge. If I can add anything I will be happy to accomodate if anyone is interested.

Posted: 15 Jun 2012 2:07PM GMT
My grandfather owned and operated a mill in Galion somewhere around 1913-1914. He only lived there for a couple of years before moving to Collinston.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic