Search for content in message boards

JONEN, MICHELS, SCHMITZ, HOLZEM, LENGER please contact me

JONEN, MICHELS, SCHMITZ, HOLZEM, LENGER please contact me

Susan (View posts)
Posted: 5 Sep 2001 11:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: JONEN, MICHELS, SCHMITZ, HOLZEM, LENGER, LINGER
Hi,
I am currently visiting parents in Jefferson County, WI. I live west of Seattle Washington. I would like to make contact with anyone researching the JONEN, MICHELS, SCHMITZ, HOLZEM, LENGER/LINGER lines who lived in the Fussville area in the early 1800-1900's. They were Catholic and attended St. Anthony's, St. Martin's Catholic Churches.

Looking forward to hearing from you,
if you cannot reach me at the above e-mail, my home e-mail is: snokes@tscnet.com
My snail mail is: 27532 State Hwy 3 NE; Poulsbo, WA 98370

Thank you in advance,
Susan

Re: JONEN, MICHELS, SCHMITZ, HOLZEM, LENGER please contact me

Posted: 1 Oct 2001 8:25PM GMT
Edited: 19 Jan 2004 6:11AM GMT
I am a direct descendant of Mathias Schmitz who was married to Anna Maria Hoffmann. Their daughter Appolonia Schmitz, married Peter Schneider 28 May 1850 in Fussville. My ancestoral line continues from there. Do you have anything to share?

Mathias Schmitz may have had some brothers in Fussville, but I have not yet pursued those leads.

Hope this helps!

Michael Theis

Susan (View posts)
Posted: 2 Oct 2001 12:33AM GMT
Michael,
Hello. I am just beginning to research this line--I had a hard time tracking it down. I have worked on my MICHELS line for nearly 15 years without a breakthrough--and finally got one this summer...I need to check all the info I brought home and cross reference with the baptismal records of St. Anthony's and St. Martins (Mission Church of Granville--no longer in existance).

Please feel free to e-mail me at:
apetta@netwurx.net

I live in Seattle, Washington area but am here in Wisconsin for a few more weeks...currently living in Jefferson County.

When I return to Washington, you can e-mail me at: snokes@tscnet.com
or write:
Susan Nokes
27532 State Hwy 3 NE
Poulsbo, WA 98370

I would like to stay in touch and see if we can sort out these families....

Susan

Susan (View posts)
Posted: 13 Nov 2001 11:01AM GMT
Surnames: Linger, Lenger, Schneider, Holzem, Michels, Thielen, Schmits,
Michael,

I finally got around to organizing the data from St. Martin's (used to be in West Granville, Milwaukee County--Appleton Avenue near Timmerman Field--now only 2-3 stones are visible and surrounded by apartment buildings.) and St. Anthony's in what was Fussville.

Yes, we are related--at least collaterally.

Have you heard from a Janet Warner? She and I are working on the LINGER/LENGER line...did you know the SCHNEIDER were from Minnesota?

I found a John Schneider "of Minnesota" marrying an Anna Christina HOLZEM of Fussville on 24 November 1885.
Anna Christina HOLZEM is the daughter of Jacob HOLZEM and Anna MICHELS--the sister of Eva MICHELS from whom I descend. Our common ancestors would be Georg MICHELS and Anna Maria (THIELEN--not possitive on this maiden name).

There is also an Engelburt SCHNEIDER, son of Peter SCHNEIDER and Apolonia SCHMITS (as spelled by priest)who married Anna Maria HOLZEM, also a daughter of Jacob HOLZEM and Anna MICHELS. This marriage took place in 1887--I have no date, just a year (The priest did not record the date).

Was wondering what you could share about the Holzem/Schmidtz line?

I would be happy to send you Family Group Sheets of related lines, just let me know...
You can e-mail me privately at:
apetta@netwurx.net

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Susan
c/o Andrew Petta
P.O. Box I
Palmyra, WI 53156

Michael Theis (View posts)
Posted: 13 Nov 2001 10:08PM GMT
Surnames: Schmitz, Hoffman, Schneider, Rose
Hello Susan!

Your information is close, but not complete. Here is how I am related to those living in Fussville, WI. My direct ancestors are Peter Schneider who married Appolonia Schmitz, 28 May 1850 at St. Anthony's in Fussville, WI.

Appolonia Schmitz is a daughter of Mathias Schmitz (buried at St. Anthony's Cemetery, born 15 March 1806, died 17 Aug 1851). Her mother is Anna Marie Hoffman (buried at St. Anthony's Cemetery, born abt 1810, died 1 Jan 1874). She was 64 years old when she died.

More is coming. I am posting it on the Genweb board so all can benefit from my research. Personal responses welcome.

Posted: 13 Nov 2001 10:23PM GMT
Newspaper Item:

"Schneider. ---At his home in this city on Tuesday morning, Aug. 21, 1906, of the infirmities of age, Peter Schneider, aged 84 years.

Peter Schneider was born in the village of Niederdrees, near Cologne in Prussia, Sept. 22, 1822 and came to America in 1849, settling at Milwaukee which was then in its infancy. He saw its growth from a mere village to a large and prosperous city up to the year 1880, when he came to Minnesota. He bought the old Allen farm southwest of this city and lived on it for six years, removing to this city twenty years ago. In 1850 he was married at Milwaukee to Miss Appolonia Schmitz who died in 1896. Thirteen children were born to them, ten of whom survive, six sons and four daughters, Christine now Mrs. Charles Rose, Jacob, Gertrude, now Mrs. Henry Hussman and John, all of this city, Bert of Amena, Wis., Mary, now Mrs. Miller of Denver, Anton of Portland, Ore., Peter living in Kansas, and Josephine and Joseph both at home. The remains were taken to Chaska yesterday morning, the funeral service being held at the Church of the Guardian Angels and the remains were intended in the Chaska Catholic cemetery by the side of his wife."

Scott County Argus
Friday, August 24, 1906.

P.S. The city referred to is Shakopee, MN.

Posted: 13 Nov 2001 10:27PM GMT
Newspaper item:

Obituary, from Weekly Valley Herald, Chaska, MN 8 Oct 1896:
"Mrs. Schneider, wife of Peter Schneider of Jackson Town,
Scott Co., was buried in the Catholic Cemetery in this
city, last Monday forenoon. She was 64 years of age and
had been sick for two years or more. The family have the
condolence of their many friends."

Susan (View posts)
Posted: 14 Nov 2001 1:00AM GMT
Michael,
Thank you...please let me know when you post the info or e-mail me a copy--as I don't often get back to this site--and could miss it...

Dad (Andrew Petta, Jr.)has been in and out of the hospital, and now has
to go in for surgery on his carotid arteries...

Well, today everyone was off for Veterans Day--places around here just
fold up!! Even Poulsbo has more activity on a holiday or a Sunday.

The two main arteries which supply blood to the head and brain are the
carotid arteries-his carotid arteries are both better than 90%
occluded..this
means that less than 10% of the blood which would normally supply the
brain--is
simply not getting
there...its absolutely amazing that he hasn't had a major stroke and
died!!! He's a time bomb--until we get those surgeries done--and not
well enough to be on an airplane!!! It's really amazing that he hasn't
lost more brain capability than he has!

He has had two or three "mini-strkes" this past week. It's really
worried me (Sandi and Andi, too--Sandi was here to see it..dad was just
staring into space and didn't answer to his name for about 2-3 minutes.)

I'm hoping that Dr. Anscheutz will call me tomorrow with a plan of
attack on this.

The surgery is called a carotid endarterectomy. They've been doing them

for over 26 years..so it's a pretty well known surgery--but not without
risks..dad is in a catch 22 situation..if he doesn't have the
surgery, he could die at any time--if a fatty plaque or clot lodges in
his brain during the surgert (or after), he could have a stroke--the
severity of the stroke would depend on how large the vessel was that was

closed off..and where in the brain it closed off the blood supply.

Sounds like they will do the left side first (it's the worst). Then
they will do the right side after two weeks of healing on the left...so
I may be here for Christmas. (booo!!!!) Really starting to miss home...

Your cousin,
Susan
apetta@netwurx.net

Posted: 24 Apr 2013 1:07AM GMT
Surnames: Schmitz Scheben
I see, from a 2001 post that you are related to the Fussville (Menomenee Falls now)WI Schmitz Family. I am a gggranddaughter of Gottfried (1809-1884) Schmitz who married Mary Catherine Kertzman (1801-1869). They came to the US in Aug., 1946 and settled in Fussville.
Their sons, Gottfried and Matthias, with their families, moved to Shelby Co., IL in 1866.
I have information that Gottfried (1809-1869)parents were Mathias and Anne Sophie Scheben Schmitz who did not come to the US but their baptismal info was found in St. Martin'a Catholic Church in Wormersdorf, Germany. The father of Anne Sophie was Gottfried Scheben. Do you have any other ancestral information about these Schmitz/Scheben families?
My personal email is sschmitz@mercysc.org I will appreci-ate any info you can give me.
Sharon Schmitz

Re: Gottfried & Maria Katharina Agnes Kertzman Schmitz in Milwaukee's German Newspapers Index

Posted: 20 May 2013 11:49PM GMT
Edited: 20 May 2013 11:51PM GMT
Surnames: Schmitz Kertzman Holzhauer Kastenholz Grove
"Gottfried (1809-1884) Schmitz who married Mary Catherine Kertzman (1801-1869) ..."

Have you collected the family death notices for this couple from the local German papers? You won't find these memorials in the English language papers. These are some of the over 300 Schmitz entries or references I've indexed in "Milwaukee's German Newspapers; an index of death notices and related items" (1844-1950). Maria's notices reference the names Holzhauer, Kastenholz, Grove.
Gary Rebholz, compiler/editor
Milwaukee Wis.
gary.rebholz@gmail.com
Indexing Milwaukee's German newspapers continuously since 2007... helping family researchers find their ancestors among Milwaukee's 99%.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic