Search for content in message boards

relatives in corsica

relatives in corsica

Posted: 12 Feb 2009 10:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CLARY,CLAREY,CLEARY ,FRANCIONI
My G Grandfather was Nonce Clary ,or Clarey or Cleary? from Corsica,he left there to avoid serving in Nepoliens Army. He left on a boat with Capt. Pierre Francioni, when he arrived in LA. he took the name of " Francioni" We think Pierre might have been his uncle. Nonce married Leontine Frietel. We hope someone may know a relative from Corsica

Re: relatives in corsica

Posted: 15 Jan 2010 7:35PM GMT
I am not a Francioni relative, but am researching the Francioni families in St. Mary Parish Louisiana, mainly the town of Morgan City. I have been under the opinion that Nonce Francioni was the son of Pierre Francioni. I have some information on the deaths of both men in Morgan City. Until I read your posted message, I had never come across any information that ever referred to Nonce's original family name to have been anything other than Francioni. From what source did you determine this?
Perhaps we may work together on this.

Posted: 16 Jan 2010 9:01PM GMT
Surnames: Francioni
my grand mother was nunce francioni's daughter.we think captain francioni was an uncle that adopted him. we were told his last name was clare ,but haven't been able to clarify this. my daughters an I are going to Morgan City some time this year to go through the archives there.I will let you know what we find. we took pictures of the grave stones in the cemetery. nunce died in his forties, we don't know how he died. May I ask what is your interest in the FRANCIONI family?

Posted: 17 Jan 2010 2:02AM GMT
Thank you for your reply.I am a native of Morgan City, now retired and live in Las Vegas. My interest in the Francioni family is for two reasons. First, my grandfather who came to Morgan City about 1874 was a close friend of the Francionis and he and his family had Sunday dinner at their home regularly for many years. Secondly, I am researching early businesses in Morgan City for a possible publication, and of course Nonce and then his widow were operating a combination saloon and grocery store on North Railroad Avenue until, I believe, the late 1890s. The Morgan City Archives is a gold mine for local history and I have researched there for about 30 years. In fact, they are sending me some information next week.

Posted: 17 Jan 2010 3:23AM GMT
You make a good point, Research360. I understand that this particular family was Corsican, and know of no Corsican surname from that era close to Cleary, Clary, etc., however, Francioni was and is still is an established family name in Corsica.

Posted: 18 Jan 2010 12:30AM GMT
thanks for the information. We appreciate any thing that pertains to the family,Its a shame we didn't find out more from my grandmother,but by the time we realized we didn't know enough about the family ,they were all gone.my grandmother was nonce's daughter Loretta,she married Claude Bateman. he was the last Bateman born on Bateman's Island.Were looking forward to going through the archives for the Francioni and the Batemans. thanks again.

Posted: 24 Sep 2012 2:18PM GMT
My grandmother was Nonce's daughter Alice (Alise). She married Sylvester Parmelee. I've heard a similar account of Nonce's ancestry from my uncle and mother.

Posted: 28 Jan 2013 11:05PM GMT
My Grandmother was Nonce Daughter Loretta,she married Claude Hamilton Bateman.any thing you can tell us about the Francioni Family we would love to know. If we find out any thing about them we would love to share. Mary G.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions