Search for content in message boards

3 brothers Willey, P.O.W's after the battle of Yorktown.

Willeys in Revolution

Carolyn Spence (View posts)
Posted: 26 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Willey, Crouse
Hi,

Interestingly, I am searching for the ancestors of a Calvin Willey, who was captured at Georgetown, and changed sides while a POW. Calvin had sons Samuel and Levi, and grandsons, John, Solomon, James and Andrew. This branch was in Alleghany Co. of NC and Surry Co., NC in 1814. A John Willey was living in Russell COunty VA and these 2 families are connected. Just how, I do not know yet. Any help appreciated !!! Carolyn

3 brothers Willey, P.O.W's after the battle of Yorktown.

Clayton L Willey [Clay] (View posts)
Posted: 26 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: willey
I have family listed with Cornwalliss [17th regiment of foot, a Leicestershire unit], Samuel, Joseph, John.
After being taken prisoner at Yorktown Sam and Joseph were converted to American citizenship at the point of a musket.
any information about all of these would be appreciated, especially John.any one getting back to these 3 be warned the line goes back to 940 yes! 940, all in central and north Leicestershire.

Bros Willey

Clayton L Willey [Clay] (View posts)
Posted: 29 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Willey
Hi Carolyn, sorry about the delay, beleave your two,possible brothers with Samuel. This is one of the many things that I need to check, canyou check any Georgetown/Yorktown records re names units etc. Tho yet to check I beleave all 3 to belong to the 17th Regiment of foot, which was local to our area [Leicester] , the local archives hold all 3tons of records from the regiment which I can access.

Willeys in Revolution

Raymond Willey (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Willey
Carolyn: I've come across your posting of Willeys in Revolution today (just got unlimited access and making the most of it), and I do have a Revolutionary War ancestor, namely John Willey (b.July 30, 1757, Delaware, d.April 3, 1814,Muskingum Co,Ohio). You mention a John Willey, Russell Co.VA. My John had children with his wife Mary Griffith in the Monongalia VA area. John however was in the Delaware Regiment of Foot with whom he served until 1781 before residing in VA.
Raymond Moore Willey

Re: 3 brothers Willey, P.O.W's after the battle of Yorktown.

Posted: 17 Nov 2001 7:57PM GMT
Edited: 6 Jun 2002 4:24AM GMT

I just found your Willey message--hope I'm not too late...

I am the ggranddaughter of Joseph Willey and have heard the story of being captured at Yorktown. . Joseph was the 12 th child of Samuel and was born in Penn. I have alot of information starting with CharlesWilson Willey--a son of Joseph and MarenaMcFarlin--would really like some information on where the family came from ..

Thanks for any help you can give me marge

Posted: 19 Feb 2007 10:38PM GMT
hi. I'm looking for relatives who were related to herbert leslie willey 1876-1947 his fathers name was joseph and his mothers name was ora? is he realted to you if so please email lstjames0204@comcast.net

thank you dr lisa st. james

Posted: 15 Mar 2012 11:20PM GMT
I am from Joseph also. I found his mother and would be happy to share her info with you. Polly Patton married John Manning who died during Rev War.
They had one son John. She married Samuel Willey in 1781 and had 11 more children.

Posted: 1 Oct 2012 12:23PM GMT
Is the youngest son of samuel named j oseph Danforth willey who was born about 1800 and married Mary bingham?

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 4:57AM GMT
No. Joseph was born 1804 and married Marena McFarlin.

Posted: 24 Oct 2012 4:58AM GMT
No. Joseph was born 1804 and married Marena McFarlin.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions