Search for content in message boards

Letter on end of SS number??

Letter on end of SS number??

Posted: 8 May 2012 8:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
I recently obtained my grandmothers death cert from NJ in 1969. The SS# is actually my grandfathers with the letter "B" at the end of it. This would have been done between 1940 - 1960. I know she got an SS check each month, probably drawn off of grandfathers record. Yet she is not listed in any SS death index.

Does any one know if there would have been an application to SS in her name?? Or did they just give a spouse the number of the other spouses record??

Thank you for any info.

Re: Letter on end of SS number??

Posted: 16 May 2012 3:46AM GMT
Sounds like a Medicare #. If one worked, I think this was their SSN with an A at the end. I thought the B was if a woman never worked and was entitled to benefits through her husband, therefore using his SSN.

Posted: 16 May 2012 11:11AM GMT
Thank you.
I contacted SS. They said it was for Medicare, through the husband. The term the person used was "aged wife". Stating that Grandmother might not have had enough credits to draw off her own..

She did work, probabily before SS was created. Leaves me wondering if Grandmother even had her own number.
Thanks again.

Posted: 25 Jun 2012 11:19PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jun 2012 1:56AM GMT
That used to be common. It was assumed that the wife didn't work and didn't need a ss#, so her number was her husband's ss# with a B at the end. Wife #2 had a C at the end. I remember my mother having a number like that at one point, but she eventually had to apply for her own number.

Posted: 26 Jun 2012 8:47AM GMT
Thanks.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic