Search for content in message boards

Fond du Lac County Asylum

Fond du Lac County Asylum

Posted: 24 Dec 2011 9:44PM GMT
Classification: Death
Edited: 24 Dec 2011 9:59PM GMT
My aunt was moved to the Fond du Lac County Asylum on February 28, 1929 and died there in 1938 (I think). Does the Fond du Lac Asylum still exist and is it possible to get records regarding past inmates? I am trying to collect medical history for my grandchildren and would like to know how my aunt died.

Re: Fond du Lac County Asylum

Posted: 24 Dec 2011 10:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: none
No, The Fond du Lac County Asylum does not exist any longer. However, you maybe able to locate records from the Fond du Lac County Asylum at the Wisconsin Historical Society (Wisconsin State Archives) or on their website with a search query for poorhouse. Hope this help some! Good hunting.

jb

Posted: 24 Dec 2011 10:39PM GMT
Also, check the wisconsin area research center the one for oskosh wi has some information on this institution. however, there maybe some restrictions to the records.

jb

Posted: 8 Jan 2012 3:43AM GMT
The Asylum is was located on what will now be the Fond du Lac convention center. There may be some records in Oshkosh or Madison. However, as stated before, there may be restrictions. Being a medical facility and the way the HIPA laws are interpreted regarding 'Medical' records, they may not be viewable.

There was a cemetery on the grounds but is now on land owned by a golf course (Rolling Meadows). I don't believe there are any headstones there but there is a marker where the cemetery once was.

I have a photo of the County Poor House and Insane Asylum dated 1901 if you would like a copy. I can be contacted at tgfamilytree@att.net

Posted: 8 Jan 2012 7:06PM GMT
Best sources I have found for asylum records,the local newspaper, and the county probate office, during this time the local newspaper used to print articles about people being committed and why. Check with the county probate office first, to get a date.
Wisconsin has a "Restriction" forever, on these records. I am going through this to find more detail on the Oshkosh Northern Hospital, and the UWSP archivist, check with the state of Wisconsin, NO ACCESS. But they do have the records. there is a book written called "Annies Ghost" written by Steve Luxumberg, who went through the asylum process to gain access to his Aunts records, in 2006. Good background for Wisconsin search as well.

Posted: 9 Jan 2012 11:57PM GMT
Thanks for the replys. I have tried searching Wisconsin Research Center etc on-line but have had no success as of yet. I will try the county probate office and newspapers next. I had sent an inquiry to Winnebago Mental Health Institute and rec'd a reply and was able to get her records fro them after sending proof of relationship. She was there for 2 years but wasn't improving so they sent her to Fond du Lac.

Posted: 18 Jan 2012 4:18AM GMT
Surnames: Redfield
I suspect that my 2gg Roswell Redfield may have been buried in the County Cemetery associated with the Asylum/Poor Farm sometime between 1870 and 1880. I've been unable to find his exact date of death but he was living in Empire, FDL on the 1870 US census. His name does not appear at all on the next census, whereas his wife Amy is listed on the 1880 census as widowed and living in a boarding house in LaSalle County, IL. It seems reasonable to conclude that Roswell died in the FDL area. I haven't been able to find him in any other local cemetery. I realize there are no headstones in the old County cemetery but somewhere there must be interment records? Were the graves relocated when the golf course was built? I'm an Illinois resident and would deeply appreciate referrals to any resources I can contact by email or research online. Thanks

Posted: 21 Jan 2012 12:54PM GMT
I will look to see if there is a record for Roswell Redfield in the County Courthouse for you to see if I can get an exact date of death. Any information regarding his stay will most likely be sealed. Internment records included.

As far as anyone knows at the Historical Society or the Genealogical Society, the cemetery at the golf course was not moved but built around. I have not been out there myself and will wait until spring to do so.

I can confirm that the books (at least the poor farm books from 1921-on) are at the UW-Oshkosh archives. Joshua Ranger is the archivist there.

The problem, however, is that Fond du Lac County (in particular, the Corporation Counsel's office) takes the position that release of this info. is barred by a statute prohibiting the release of names of those receiving certain types of public assistance. Mr. Ranger has stated that this is an unusual interpretation of the law, but he is not willing to release the info without an OK from Fond du Lac County.

These same records may be located in Madison at the state archives.

Posted: 23 Jan 2012 4:13PM GMT
Hi Todd,
When you are at the courthouse could you also please look up Hilda Duescher, daughter of Frank and Mathilda Duescher. She was move from WMHI to the Fond du Lac Asylum on February 28, 1929. I think she died in 1938 but I couldn't find her in the 1930 census. Would like to know when and of what she died. I was able to get records from WMHI by providing proof of relationship (she was my aunt). Do you think this would work with Fond du Lac too.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Posted: 30 Jan 2012 5:49AM GMT
Not that all the records are complete, the FDL Public Library has a newspaper index.... no Hilda, but they do have the following newspaper listings:

Duescher Darlene M. Death 8/12/1991(N)
Duescher Frank Funeral 7/21/1955(N)
Duescher Mathilda Death 5/9/1969(N)
Duescher Mrs. Oscar Death 2/7/1949(N)
Hagemann Elsie B. Death 12/9/1985(E)
Krause Timothy A. Marriage 5/21/1995(N)
Schroeder Marie Death 6/22/1993(N)

Now, there are relatives of Marie who are listed in the Oshkosh Vital records.... but no Hilda.

Now, I was reading an article in Newspaper Archives -

Mrs. O. R. Duescher and children
Lawrence and Harmie. and Miss
Madeline Race of Green Lake and
Miss Florence Duescher of Milwaukee
were guests of Miss Emma Duescher
last week.

Appleton Post-Crescent | Appleton, Wisconsin | Wednesday, August 10, 1927 | Page 10

Is Emma a sister?????

I also checked the St. Louis Catholic Parish, Fond du Lac, Wisconsin: Repertoire of Baptisms, Marriages, & Burials - they don't go that far in to the future, so no listing.

Let us know what you find out!

Kathy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions